The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1840
Anyone know when UKCAT scores are sent to universities? Or do they just receive them with the UCAS application?

-Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B1525
Anyone know when UKCAT scores are sent to universities? Or do they just receive them with the UCAS application?

-Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

First week of November :smile: remember to go on the Pearson Vue website to tell them where to send them though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to apply to study medicine in 2016.
This year I have graduated with a 2:1 in Biological Sciences. My A-level grades were A*AB (Biology, German, Maths) with C grades in AS Levels in further maths and physics too. GCSES were 6A*s 3As 2Bs 2Cs.
This year I am hoping to gain vast amounts of work experience in the health sector.
This thread is really helpful because I feel really out of sync with the whole UCAS applications (especially when applying individually rather than through an institution).
I am concerned that I haven't studied chemistry (although parts of my degree course had biochemistry etc. I know a lot of universities require chemistry to at least AS Level. I would be happy to study for an AS Level now but still want to apply for 2016 rather than 2017, so I don't know if that would be possible. The only London University that doesn't require Chemistry is KCL but obviously I want to apply to more than one uni!
After over 20 applications and months of rejection, I've finally landed a HCA job! Hopefully getting into medicine won't take me that many applications...
Original post by Charlotteemma
I want to apply to study medicine in 2016.
This year I have graduated with a 2:1 in Biological Sciences. My A-level grades were A*AB (Biology, German, Maths) with C grades in AS Levels in further maths and physics too. GCSES were 6A*s 3As 2Bs 2Cs.
This year I am hoping to gain vast amounts of work experience in the health sector.
This thread is really helpful because I feel really out of sync with the whole UCAS applications (especially when applying individually rather than through an institution).
I am concerned that I haven't studied chemistry (although parts of my degree course had biochemistry etc. I know a lot of universities require chemistry to at least AS Level. I would be happy to study for an AS Level now but still want to apply for 2016 rather than 2017, so I don't know if that would be possible. The only London University that doesn't require Chemistry is KCL but obviously I want to apply to more than one uni!

You need to take the UKCAT asap. If you don't get in this year, taking the GAMSAT will open up St Georges as another London option to you. Have you checked whether Barts will take your degree?
I know I could do it myself before anyone says. But does anyone have a list or excel sheet of graduate universities and updated requirements?
Reply 1846
Original post by liam__
After over 20 applications and months of rejection, I've finally landed a HCA job! Hopefully getting into medicine won't take me that many applications...

Yay well done!!!! We can show people on the thread that you can get them keep going!! What department??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
You need to take the UKCAT asap. If you don't get in this year, taking the GAMSAT will open up St Georges as another London option to you. Have you checked whether Barts will take your degree?

Unfortunately I can't register to take the GAMSAT until next year, and St. Georges only accept GAMSAT, not UKCAT. I entered my degree on Barts' website and it says I will need a minimum of AS Level Chemistry grade B. I'd rather not move out of London but I guess I will have to. I will register to sit the UKCAT tonight.
Original post by liam__

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Original post by tw781
Yay well done!!!! We can show people on the thread that you can get them keep going!! What department??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trauma and ortho, so excited to start! Thanks so much for the tips/interview questions you gave me, lots of the questions came up, so I guess I owe you one! :smile:
Original post by Charlotteemma
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Thanks!
Reply 1851
Original post by liam__
Trauma and ortho, so excited to start! Thanks so much for the tips/interview questions you gave me, lots of the questions came up, so I guess I owe you one! :smile:

No problem! Ah I'm so jealous you're in that department? Can't remember, what did you get in UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781
No problem! Ah I'm so jealous you're in that department? Can't remember, what did you get in UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, really didn't think I would get it.

Got 702.5. Done yours yet?
Original post by rcha
I was considering apply to the 5 year route as I heard the cut offs are slightly lower, but I think most places are looking for a score of at least 700 if I'm being honest, no harm in applying anyway though I suppose haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

5 year schools want a score of 700? The is not true I know this for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1854
Original post by HCAssistant93
5 year schools want a score of 700? The is not true I know this for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive read other people have got offers for less than 700 as their UKCAT score but a 'competitive' score judging by those who get offers seems to be people getting close to or higher than 700. Any suggestions which undergrad medicine unis I should think about applying for with a score of only 625? I am taking a gap year and currently work full time hours on the bank as a theatre HCA, I've previously worked as theatre porter in the same hospital and been doing this on the bank for 3 years regularly working shifts over the holiday period while I came home from Uni in the holidays. I didn't do great in my highers, so applying first time round was never an option for me, will this disadvantage Me? I got mainly Bs and a few Cs. Do they look at school results despite me holding a high 2:1 in Biomedical Science? Apologies for the barrage of questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rcha
Ive read other people have got offers for less than 700 as their UKCAT score but a 'competitive' score judging by those who get offers seems to be people getting close to or higher than 700. Any suggestions which undergrad medicine unis I should think about applying for with a score of only 625? I am taking a gap year and currently work full time hours on the bank as a theatre HCA, I've previously worked as theatre porter in the same hospital and been doing this on the bank for 3 years regularly working shifts over the holiday period while I came home from Uni in the holidays. I didn't do great in my highers, so applying first time round was never an option for me, will this disadvantage Me? I got mainly Bs and a few Cs. Do they look at school results despite me holding a high 2:1 in Biomedical Science? Apologies for the barrage of questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the people I know who got in last year, their scores ranged from 620-690. When I was an high school leaver all my friends go in the 600s and got in so saying you need 700 is just not correct..

Some unis will just look at your degree and a 2.1 is what you need. Others require certain a levels as well. You need to research particular unis you are interested in Andre what they say.

As for a score of 625 I really wouldn't rule yourself out! Look at Keele and Sheffield for certain. Maybe hull York and I know a few who got into Manchester last year with scores of 620 and 630. Just email unis and ask them for requirements or look online.

Your work experience is amazing and will stand out. Just apply smartly! It is definitely not the end for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJK91
Sadly that score would not be sufficient for any UKCAT GEM course. You'll need to look at the couple that don't use admissions tests, 5 year courses (if you can afford the fees), or consider retrying next year.

There are some that don't look at ukct. For example Birmingham
Reply 1857
Original post by HCAssistant93
All the people I know who got in last year, their scores ranged from 620-690. When I was an high school leaver all my friends go in the 600s and got in so saying you need 700 is just not correct..

Some unis will just look at your degree and a 2.1 is what you need. Others require certain a levels as well. You need to research particular unis you are interested in Andre what they say.

As for a score of 625 I really wouldn't rule yourself out! Look at Keele and Sheffield for certain. Maybe hull York and I know a few who got into Manchester last year with scores of 620 and 630. Just email unis and ask them for requirements or look online.

Your work experience is amazing and will stand out. Just apply smartly! It is definitely not the end for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay my bad, on most university websites I've browsed they don't mention any UKCAT cutoffs except certain unis known to be UKCAT heavy like KCL etc, will definitely do my research on which universities I can apply for and email all the ones I am interested in, hopefully hear back from them soon after I email then 😃

my work experience as an HCA has been fantastic, I have learnt so much and working as a Theatre HCA I get to watch surgery in various specialties first hand: ortho, gynae, general surgery etc, if anyone is able to get a theatre HCA job I would recommend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1858
Original post by liam__
Yup, really didn't think I would get it.

Got 702.5. Done yours yet?

Ah well done! Are you applying to Warwick then? Where else?

I sat it but my score is null and void as I have a retest due to an incident so I'm sitting it on 24th!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781
Ah well done! Are you applying to Warwick then? Where else?

I sat it but my score is null and void as I have a retest due to an incident so I'm sitting it on 24th!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I think I might as well go for it, 702.5 was good enough last year. I'll probably go for either Durham or Newcastle 5 year course and then 2 GAMSAT unis. Good luck for your retest!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending