The Student Room Group

Brasenose or Trinity?

So I know most advice on choosing a college is based on the insistence that no matter what college you pick, your chances of getting into Oxford are the same. Whilst I know this is true, I'm still torn between Brasenose and Trinity for different reasons. Brasenose is incredibly oversubscribed for my course (8% success rate over a three year average) compared to Trinity (20% success rate) but I do prefer Brasenose a teeny bit :colondollar:
I'm not the strongest applicant in the world but I guess I do stand a chance, but a Brasenose level chance? I'd take my chances and apply there but more chance than not I'd get pooled to a college I wasn't so keen on, whereas if I apply to Trinity I'm more likely to get in there than get pooled to somewhere I didn't like so much.
WHAT DO I DO????!!!!
(I know it's ridiculously picky to be fretting over colleges when most people would just love to get in full stop but college choice is very important to me for general motivation and happiness etc)
Reply 1
Original post by Ashbash5
x

If you really like Trinity, apply to Trinity. Brasenose is so oversubscribed (I'm not sure why maybe they changed something the year after I applied) that applying there is not much better for college choice than making an open application.
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
If you really like Trinity, apply to Trinity. Brasenose is so oversubscribed (I'm not sure why maybe they changed something the year after I applied) that applying there is not much better for college choice than making an open application.
u
Thank you for saying that, I think it just needed to be said out loud 😁 and I do love Trinity!
Original post by Ashbash5
So I know most advice on choosing a college is based on the insistence that no matter what college you pick, your chances of getting into Oxford are the same. Whilst I know this is true, I'm still torn between Brasenose and Trinity for different reasons. Brasenose is incredibly oversubscribed for my course (8% success rate over a three year average) compared to Trinity (20% success rate) but I do prefer Brasenose a teeny bit :colondollar:
I'm not the strongest applicant in the world but I guess I do stand a chance, but a Brasenose level chance? I'd take my chances and apply there but more chance than not I'd get pooled to a college I wasn't so keen on, whereas if I apply to Trinity I'm more likely to get in there than get pooled to somewhere I didn't like so much.
WHAT DO I DO????!!!!
(I know it's ridiculously picky to be fretting over colleges when most people would just love to get in full stop but college choice is very important to me for general motivation and happiness etc)

If you like BNC, just apply there really. If you prefer Trinity, apply to Trinity. Both are lovely colleges (Trinity has nice food!), but I think BNC has an advantage in that all your accommodation will be central throughout your degree. Trinity moves people out to pretty far annexes in North Oxford for at least one year I think.

That said, I applied to Jesus, which is less subscribed for my subject, ended up getting pooled (ie I was not top choice for Jesus), got sent to Brasenose because of the way the pool mechanisms work for my subject, and ended up getting an offer there. Life is funny that way sometimes.
I agonised for ages between New and Trinity, chose Trinity and got pooled miles away. It makes little difference, but Trinity has nicer lawns. Anyway, you might end up pooled to Brasenose.
Reply 5
Original post by aguyapplies
I agonised for ages between New and Trinity, chose Trinity and got pooled miles away. It makes little difference, but Trinity has nicer lawns. Anyway, you might end up pooled to Brasenose.

Trinity does have awesome lawns! Unfortunately no one in the past 3 years has been pooled to BNC for English, it seems they have the cream of the crop to select :frown: and I'm not exactly in the top 8% of applicants, but God did I love BNC when I visited it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending