The Student Room Group

M2 or S1?

For the additional unit of A2 maths i have to decide to do M2 or S1
I got an A in M1 and i last did statistics 4 years ago in year 10 and got an A in it as well GCSE
I was wondering which one would be easier for me to do
I am aiming to get an A in the unit
I am with the AQA exam board
Any responses are appreciated :h:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toonervoustotalk
I got an A in M1 and i last did statistics 4 years ago in year 10 and got an A in it as well GCSE

At least for Edexcel (I wouldn't imagine it'd be too different for AQA), M2 felt like "more of the same" of M1 - similar level of difficulty, just new content. I also didn't think S1 is too challenging either, it's an AS unit after all. It's up to you, I'd say you've got a good shot at a good grade in either. Which one do you think would be more useful for your future plans?

What other A levels are you doing and what are your plans post school?
Original post by Plagioclase
At least for Edexcel (I wouldn't imagine it'd be too different for AQA), M2 felt like "more of the same" of M1 - similar level of difficulty, just new content. I also didn't think S1 is too challenging either, it's an AS unit after all. It's up to you, I'd say you've got a good shot at a good grade in either. Which one do you think would be more useful for your future plans?

I think it would be better if i do M2 because i have done M1 recently and am more refreshed with the concepts than in S1
Original post by Muttley79
What other A levels are you doing and what are your plans post school?

Chemistry and biology
And i want to do either chemistry at uni or accounting
Chemistry and biology

Personally I prefer teaching mechanics but S1 is an AS unit ... have a look at the specifications and see which interests you most.
Personally I prefer teaching mechanics but S1 is an AS unit ... have a look at the specifications and see which interests you most.

Ok will have a look :smile:
Reply 7
Chemistry and biology

S1 would probably help more if you go down the accounting path, but I prefer mechanics cause I like physics. Not that I get a choice in the units I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thers's not much in S1 that would help with accounting ...
Original post by Andy98
S1 would probably help more if you go down the accounting path, but I prefer mechanics cause I like physics. Not that I get a choice in the units I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is what i was thinking
Thers's not much in S1 that would help with accounting ...

Ok fair enough :smile:
M2, S1 is very hit and miss on exams - there will always be stuff coming up which has never appeared before, whereas on M2 if you've done every past paper confidently you can get 90% easily.
Original post by 雷尼克
M2, S1 is very hit and miss on exams - there will always be stuff coming up which has never appeared before, whereas on M2 if you've done every past paper confidently you can get 90% easily.

Ok so M2 seems more likely for me :smile:
The jump from M1 to M2 will be a lot less significant than the jump from year 10 stats to S1, so I think you'd be a lot more comfortable doing M2.

Also, like has been said already, the S exams tend to be more uncertain and variable than the M exams.
Original post by 雷尼克

That's just not true ... there have been so many past papers since 2001 that there is never anything totally out of the blue.
That's just not true ... there have been so many past papers since 2001 that there is never anything totally out of the blue.

Conditional probability was fully integrated with Normal Distribution in this year's exam, something which never came up before.
Original post by 雷尼克
Conditional probability was fully integrated with Normal Distribution in this year's exam, something which never came up before.

Yes it has, they've asked a similar question a few times.
Original post by BBeyond
Yes it has, they've asked a similar question a few times.

okay maybe it has but i was going by the word of my maths teacher because thats what he said
S1 is a joke. I learnt it in one week and got 98 UMS. I don't think these people have done S1 or M2 before.
M2 isn't very interesting. I'd say S1, the stuff you learn is very useful (probability, normal distribution etc)

Quick Reply

Latest