The Student Room Group

Should I still consider Oxbridge with my grades?

I want to apply to do PPE at Oxford but I'm not too sure if it's worth it if my grades aren't competitive enough. I got AABC but I'm dropping the subject where I received a C and probably retaking it to attempt to push it up to a high B or maybe low A. Do I still stand a chance?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't bother applying to Cambridge (you usually need above 90UMS in every subject) but it might be worth applying to Oxford. You definitely need to get that B remarked to stand a chance. You would also need a good set of GCSEs, do really well in the admissions test and impress the tutors in the interview. Please remember that there are other unis bar Oxbridge but I do understand how determined people can be to do the best.
Reply 2
I'm retaking a few modules for Maths to push it up, would that help?
Original post by kobbyjason

I would still stick with Oxford (Cambridge are funny about retakes) as long as you have a good set of GCSES (mostly A*s). Durham,LSE and York are arguably just as good as Oxbridge.
Reply 4
I want to apply to do PPE at Oxford but I'm not too sure if it's worth it if my grades aren't competitive enough. I got AABC but I'm dropping the subject where I received a C and probably retaking it to attempt to push it up to a high B or maybe low A. Do I still stand a chance?

Your underwhelming AS grades wouldn't be an eliminating factor because a holistic approach is used. Providing you are predicted the AAA needed for the course it shouldn't be a major issue. However, you will need to make up for your AS results by performing stronger in other aspects of the admissions process e.g a strong set of A*s at GCSE and doing very well at any admissions tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your GCSEs? Although your AS levels are very good, for Oxbridge they would be considered reasonably weak. Nevertheless, if you perform well in admissions test etc there is still a possibility so if you are really set on Oxford then you may as well go for it. I would definitely retake some Maths modules. Although Oxford don't require Maths, it is recommended and most successful applicants have an A in A-level maths.
Reply 6
I got 5A*s, 5As and 1B for GCSE, which I know isn't as competitive as it could be
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi, just wondering if its worth applying to cambridge for engineering with these grades:
GCSE:
A*A*A*AAAAABBCC
AS:
maths: A (93.33%)
Chemistry: A (85.3%)
Physics: A (86.67%)
ICT: C (67.5%)

*I know my ICT grade is very poor but i am dropping ICT to do further maths AS in year 13, i will also be resubmitting physics coursework to ensure i am on track for A* overall in that
Reply 8
I got 5A*s, 5As and 1B for GCSE, which I know isn't as competitive as it could be

Your GCSE's plus a very high performance in the admissions test could get you an interview. The interview is the deciding factor! Best of luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Irule3
Hi, just wondering if its worth applying to cambridge for engineering with these grades:
GCSE:
A*A*A*AAAAABBCC
AS:
maths: A (93.33%)
Chemistry: A (85.3%)
Physics: A (86.67%)
ICT: C (67.5%)

*I know my ICT grade is very poor but i am dropping ICT to do further maths AS in year 13, i will also be resubmitting physics coursework to ensure i am on track for A* overall in that

Unfortunately your UMS score and GCSE's combined would put you in the lower third of Cambridge applicants and quite possibly eliminate you from the process dependent on the competition that year. Cambridge are a little stricter and less 'holistic'. Perhaps Oxford would be more feasible (if they offer the course).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Oxford doesn't allow retakes as I have recently discovered so just find out if you can get the grades without retaking.

What were your UMS scores in your two As?

Original post by drriversong
(Cambridge are funny about retakes)

If it's a lot, yeah. Not so much for the odd module.

That said, i don't think retakes would make that much difference at this stage for this cycle. The application process would be over before OP got any retake results. If he applied the year after with the retake results then they would make a difference.
Reply 12
Original post by LydiaIsaacs
Oxford doesn't allow retakes as I have recently discovered so just find out if you can get the grades without retaking.

Where did you get this information from? Plenty of successful Oxford applicants resit units... (?) or are you referring to retaking an entire year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jcsiah
Where did you get this information from? Plenty of successful Oxford applicants resit units... (?) or are you referring to retaking an entire year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read that for law, resits are not considered, otherwise I would be applying. Perhaps I am misinformed, however, PPE is incredibly competitive, so I would imagine it would be the same sort of situation.
Reply 14
Original post by LydiaIsaacs
I read that for law, resits are not considered, otherwise I would be applying. Perhaps I am misinformed, however, PPE is incredibly competitive, so I would imagine it would be the same sort of situation.

Resits are accepted and considered across all subjects. Naturally, an individual with AAAA will have a higher chance over someone with AAAB who will be resitting the B grade. However, it is expected that a resit is stated in the reference but it won't effect the application process as they'll accept you on the grades stated as you haven't got a resit result back yet. The most important part to remember is that Oxford admissions process is holistic to assess potential, meaning ability can be shown in other areas. You shouldn't let something that minor stop you applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jcsiah
Unfortunately your UMS score and GCSE's combined would put you in the lower third of Cambridge applicants and eliminate you from the process. Cambridge are a little stricter and less 'holistic'. Perhaps Oxford would be more feasible (if they offer the course).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jcsiah
Resits are accepted and considered across all subjects. Naturally, an individual with AAAA will have a higher chance over someone with AAAB who will be resitting the B grade. However, it is expected that a resit is stated in the reference but it won't effect the application process as they'll accept you on the grades stated as you haven't got a resit result back yet. The most important part to remember is that Oxford admissions process is holistic to assess potential, meaning ability can be shown in other areas. You shouldn't let something that minor stop you applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge's admission method and process is as holistic as Oxford.
You haven't even applied to Oxford yet yourself, what makes you think you can be so judgemental about how a poster is/is not good enough for Oxbridge?
I hope you stop giving your 'advices' based on your misconception/prejudice. Thank you.
TSR article on PPE here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/PPE_at_Oxford

Long thread on PPE at Oxford here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=956112

PS. You will need 5 choices on your UCAS form. Start looking at PPE at other Universities as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by vincrows
Cambridge's admission method and process is as holistic as Oxford.
You haven't even applied to Oxford yet yourself, what makes you think you can be so judgemental about how a poster is/is not good enough for Oxbridge?
I hope you stop giving your 'advices' based on your misconception/prejudice. Thank you.

I've had conversations with both Oxford and Cambridge admissions staff and thus am not giving advice on misconceptions / prejudice but the information they gave me - to try and help people make informed decisions. For Cambridge they convert your results into a scoring system initially and tend to interview the top third, so in that sense it is 'less' holistic as you can't get past that stage on poor UMS scores - they openly said 95% in top 3 subjects will give you a straight interview, whereas anything below 90% is below average and less likely to be interviewed. If you read my post correctly you would have noticed I didn't say they weren't good enough for Oxbridge, but perhaps they were more suited for Oxford than Cambridge. Yes, they gather a lot of data but they still have strict restrictions on who they'll interview which Oxford have to a lesser extent. I will continue to share any information I have been given to offer an insight into an applicants realistic chance as I wouldn't want someone to miss out because they applied to the wrong institution. You are welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jcsiah
I've had conversations with both Oxford and Cambridge admissions staff and thus am not giving advice on misconceptions / prejudice but the information they gave me - to try and help people make informed decisions. For Cambridge they convert your results into a scoring system initially and tend to interview the top third, so in that sense it is 'less' holistic as you can't get past that stage on poor UMS scores - they openly said 95% in top 3 subjects will give you a straight interview, whereas anything below 90% is below average and less likely to be interviewed. If you read my post correctly you would have noticed I didn't say they weren't good enough for Oxbridge, but perhaps they were more suited for Oxford than Cambridge. Yes, they gather a lot of data but they still have strict restrictions on who they'll interview which Oxford have to a lesser extent. I will continue to share any information I have been given to offer an insight into an applicants realistic chance as I wouldn't want someone to miss out because they applied to the wrong institution. You are welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm very familiar with Cambridge application, thank you very much.
I don't have time to go into discussion about the details of their criteria, but I still say you're misinterpreting many things you've heard.
You're in a same boat as other potential applicants to Oxbridge, meaning at very early stage of your application process, as they are. It's not fair for them to be told by someone in your position if they have a chance at Oxbridge or not.
That's all I wanted to say.
Reply 19
Original post by vincrows
I'm very familiar with Cambridge application, thank you very much.
I don't have time to go into discussion about the details of their criteria, but I still say you're misinterpreting many things you've heard.
You're in a same boat as other potential applicants to Oxbridge, meaning at very early stage of your application process, as they are. It's not fair for them to be told by someone in your position if they have a chance at Oxbridge or not.
That's all I wanted to say.

If I have misinterpreted so many things I've heard, by all means enlighten me otherwise your comment is void and distastefully provocative. My position in the application process has no effect on the information the Cambridge admissions staff member gave me, nor on me giving it to another to give them a realistic insight... I take your point on board that perhaps it is unfair to be so damning, but nevertheless unless corrected I stand by the information and advice given.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending