The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrightonPPE93
The nervous have really started to set in now, after months of waiting and excitement I finally start my PGCE next week. I've still got some worries about my subject knowledge (RE) but I'm sure it'll all work out.

It seems like there's a few of us doing RE this year!
Nerves are definitely kicking in, but pretty excited to get going as well.
The nervous have really started to set in now, after months of waiting and excitement I finally start my PGCE next week. I've still got some worries about my subject knowledge (RE) but I'm sure it'll all work out.

You'll always know more than they do!

My main worry this time last year was subject knowledge (I was R.E. also), but in the end it turns out it was one of my main strengths! Don't panic too much about it. Just read up before a lesson and remember there will ALWAYS be things you don't know. If I can blag it with absolutely no R.E. qualifications then anyone can.
Did anyone here open or convert to a student account for the PGCE? I've been reading mixed things about whether the PGCE counts or if it has to be a two year course.

I've currently got a natwest graduate account and was hoping I'd be able to convert back to a student one for the overdraft.
QUESTION IF IS PROBABLY A DUMB ONE HAHA

Starting my PGCE, next week!

I want to know: Are the PGCE assignment questions (that you are given) based around YOUR subject - or is it based around EDUCATION as a WHOLE?

(I know it is a dumb question.......................)
Original post by JoannaMilano
Did anyone here open or convert to a student account for the PGCE? I've been reading mixed things about whether the PGCE counts or if it has to be a two year course.

I've currently got a natwest graduate account and was hoping I'd be able to convert back to a student one for the overdraft.

I had a postgraduate account with Santander for my PGCE. I don't know if Natwest so an equivalent.

Original post by xjay1234

I want to know: Are the PGCE assignment questions (that you are given) based around YOUR subject - or is it based around EDUCATION as a WHOLE?

Mine were all based around education as a whole, but for some of them you'd be expected to be specific to your subject. For example, I had one on literacy across the curriculum which meant I focused on literacy in R.E. rather than generally. Other things like AfL and learning theory were more general.
Thanks =]

Helps!

My subject tutor emailed me talking about some Drama books to buy for future assignments (my subject Drama).

That is why I asked.

Anyway thanks!

I am scared but excited!

Original post by Airfairy
I had a postgraduate account with Santander for my PGCE. I don't know if Natwest so an equivalent.

Mine were all based around education as a whole, but for some of them you'd be expected to be specific to your subject. For example, I had one on literacy across the curriculum which meant I focused on literacy in R.E. rather than generally. Other things like AfL and learning theory were more general.
Original post by Airfairy
I had a postgraduate account with Santander for my PGCE. I don't know if Natwest so an equivalent

Thanks ☺ I was tempted by santander but they only have a £1500 OD compared to my £2000 at natwest. I'm not using it all, it's just nice to have as big a cushion as possible! I'll check them out if Natwest aren't helpful ☺
Original post by JoannaMilano

I was with NatWest and they wrote to me saying they were switching me to grad. I went in and told them I was actually carrying on studying for a year, and they extended the student one for a year :smile: I'd take a letter in case they ask for proof.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my 1st day today at my placement school. Such an inspirational speaker at the inset day.
Here is my blog about it.

https://pleasecanitalk.wordpress.com/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xjay1234

I had 2. One was very subject oriented, discussing a misconception prevalent in Physics. The other was more general, dealing with the wider curriculum (real-world context, collaborative learning, social issues etc.) in the context of mathematics (I did Physics with Mathematics). In both case I used general teaching and learning theories, as well as those developed specifically for science/maths.
Original post by tory88
I had 2. One was very subject oriented, discussing a misconception prevalent in Physics. The other was more general, dealing with the wider curriculum (real-world context, collaborative learning, social issues etc.) in the context of mathematics (I did Physics with Mathematics). In both case I used general teaching and learning theories, as well as those developed specifically for science/maths.

I have just read my PGCE Drama Handbook - the assignments are linked to my subject. :smile:
Day 2 of inset days at my placement school. Read my thoughts here...

https://pleasecanitalk.wordpress.com/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7313
Hmmm..... one week into my Schools Direct, and I am coming down with a cold. Haven't had one for ever!

I'd heard about how easy it is to pick things up on placement, I just wasn't expecting it so soon!
Reply 7314
When did everyone find out if they have got a bursary?
I have started :smile:

Had my induction day today, which was mainly being talked at and having booklets thrown at me all day. I'm so tired! I really didn't sleep well last night for fear of missing the alarm this morning. Tomorrow we are straight into subject groups and focusing on subject knowledge.

My main problem at the moment is having absolutely zero money! I'm not even sure I will have money for fuel and parking for Monday :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redmel1621
I have started :smile:

Had my induction day today, which was mainly being talked at and having booklets thrown at me all day. I'm so tired! I really didn't sleep well last night for fear of missing the alarm this morning. Tomorrow we are straight into subject groups and focusing on subject knowledge.

My main problem at the moment is having absolutely zero money! I'm not even sure I will have money for fuel and parking for Monday :frown:

It's rubbish the way finance works. We have a whole week on primary placement and a day in uni before we enrol officially and SF isn't triggered till we do that. Then it takes 3-5 days to be paid. So basically we get our loan 11 days after we start!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura.a.c265
It's rubbish the way finance works. We have a whole week on primary placement and a day in uni before we enrol officially and SF isn't triggered till we do that. Then it takes 3-5 days to be paid. So basically we get our loan 11 days after we start!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! That is harsh.

I'm just completely skint after kitting out 4 kids with uniforms, shoes, bags, trainers... I am up to the limit on my overdraft and have also borrowed nearly £100 from family. There's no way I can ask for any more.

I will have to drive round on Monday and find a street to park down for free, and walk to uni from there.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I have thoroughly enjoyed my first two days. I am starting to realise the extent of the paperwork that is involved, but it's fine, I will manage it somehow :smile: My subject tutor is really, really lovely and comes across as very supportive.
Original post by redmel1621
Wow! That is harsh.

I'm just completely skint after kitting out 4 kids with uniforms, shoes, bags, trainers... I am up to the limit on my overdraft and have also borrowed nearly £100 from family. There's no way I can ask for any more.

I will have to drive round on Monday and find a street to park down for free, and walk to uni from there.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I have thoroughly enjoyed my first two days. I am starting to realise the extent of the paperwork that is involved, but it's fine, I will manage it somehow :smile: My subject tutor is really, really lovely and comes across as very supportive.

Yeah school uniform is the killer! We moved for my PGCE so had to buy the lot from scratch 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neilcn
Hmmm..... one week into my Schools Direct, and I am coming down with a cold. Haven't had one for ever!

I'd heard about how easy it is to pick things up on placement, I just wasn't expecting it so soon!

When i was on school direct last year i even got nits! Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest