The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9740
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I feel Overlord has its moments, but

Spoiler

That said, the 9th episode will be placing high in my blog ranking post tomorrow - possibly at #4, when the series hasn't scored better than #8 before.

Spoiler

My niece and nephew (6 and 7) really like watching pokemon and naruto and I was wondering what other child friendly animes can you guys recommend to watch? We watched a few eps of one piece and whilst they enjoyed it my problem is the occasional swearing that comes up.
Original post by The.Joker
My niece and nephew (6 and 7) really like watching pokemon and naruto and I was wondering what other child friendly animes can you guys recommend to watch? We watched a few eps of one piece and whilst they enjoyed it my problem is the occasional swearing that comes up.

Most Studio Ghibli films should be fine to watch, especially My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle. I'd also recommend films like The Girl who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children.

As far as anime series go, I think Cardcaptor Sakura, Aria, Digimon, and Princess Tutu should all be fine to watch.
I came back yesterday, but thanks anyway, I did have fun. :p:

I ended up buying the Bluray and DVD combo pack for Princess Kaguya while I was there. :biggrin:

Ah welcome back then :smile:- where did you go? And just out of interest- have you ever been to Japan?

Awesome, I've never bought anime on DVD; I'm more of a streamer 😎

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd second everything mentioned by EdwardElric, but if you want a few other suggestions, I'd say Angelic Layer, Denno Coil and/or Uninhabited Planet Survive are worth a look. :smile:

Original post by ScienceFantatic
Ah welcome back then :smile:- where did you go? And just out of interest- have you ever been to Japan?

Awesome, I've never bought anime on DVD; I'm more of a streamer 😎

To Reading in Berkshire to visit my grandparents, and from there on to Bristol for shopping for cosplay materials, then I visited a couple of friends who live near Wells in Somerset. I've never been to Japan, or anywhere else outside of Europe (Spain being the furthest I've travelled).

I've never really gotten into streaming anime, personally. I'm a hoarder, and if I can't get something on bluray or DVD, I'd rather download it and store it on a hard drive. :p:

I hear Boku no Pico is popular with the kids these days :cool:

I'm kidding :tongue: (Don't actually show them that!!!)
Reply 9746
Might as well say hi, new to the anime group =D

Original post by akife
woo found an anime thread. BTW anyone read sun ken rock, damn that manga is too good. Also gangsta is fav anime this season.

sun ken rock completely agree with you it's such a a good manga, gangsta must work really well as a anime, i used to read the manga but kinda got confused at some point and ended up dropping it, might have to give it a quick watch heard lots of good things.

Spoiler

Just finished watching Mirrai Nikki, that anime was a rollercoaster of mixed emotions :woo: It was such a great anime.

Spoiler

I am now in a cooldown period :tongue: if anyone can recommend anything which was like Mirrai Nikki, I will definitely watch it once I have recovered :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eloades11
I am now in a cooldown period :tongue: if anyone can recommend anything which was like Mirrai Nikki, I will definitely watch it once I have recovered :h:

The currently airing Rokka no Yuusha has a similar feel, in that it's difficult to know which characters to trust. Worth a look if that mix of mystery and action appeals to you.

Aside from that, other survival game anime include Danganronpa, BTOOOM! and Gantz. :yes:
@Precious Illusions, I have found your kind :moon:
The currently airing Rokka no Yuusha has a similar feel, in that it's difficult to know which characters to trust. Worth a look if that mix of mystery and action appeals to you.

Aside from that, other survival game anime include Danganronpa, BTOOOM! and Gantz. :yes:

That's interesting, thanks for the recommendations!

Btooom! seems to be similar to SAO which I quite enjoyed, I'm looking forward to watching that.
Any recommendations for stuff with cool/unique art styles?
Original post by Red Fox
Any recommendations for stuff with cool/unique art styles?

Here's a few that stood out for me:

Gankutsuou

Windy Tales

Hakaba Kitarou

Kuuchuu Buranko

My Neighbors The Yamadas

Worth having a look at the screenshots on the A-P pages. :yes:
Here's a few that stood out for me:

Gankutsuou

Windy Tales

Hakaba Kitarou

Kuuchuu Buranko

My Neighbors The Yamadas

Worth having a look at the screenshots on the A-P pages. :yes:

Cheers:smile:
x

While I'm here I might as well ask you for your opinion on these shows:

Kuragehime
Last Exile
Mononoke
Moyashimon
Uchouten Kazoku
Original post by Red Fox
While I'm here I might as well ask you for your opinion on these shows:

Kuragehime - A fun series with really great characters and character interactions. And it gets bonus points for jellyfish. :p: The plot isn't anything that complex though, and unfortunately it comes to an abrupt stop at only 11 episodes, with absolutely no closure, and a sequel seems highly unlikely at this point. :s:

Last Exile - The undisputed king of steampunk anime. Really interesting setting, and the soundtrack is amazing. The sequel is average at best, though. Way up there in my all-time Top 50 series.

Mononoke - Another one with an unusual animation style, thinking about it. Quite good for an episodic series, each of the mini arcs was weird and entertaining. I actually preferred it to the similar but usually higher-rated Mushishi.

Moyashimon - Aside from being an educational series about microbes, it's also one of the funniest slice of life/comedy series I've ever watched, and with a slightly older cast than most series since it's set in university as opposed to high school. Also in my Top 50, and highly recommended.

Uchouten Kazoku - This one I didn't like so much. I can't remember much about it, and looking back at my blog posts from the time, I kept bringing up the fact that it didn't stand out much compared to everything else that was airing. Also that the dialogue was quite heavy. It could just be me though, I remember reading a lot of positive reviews at the time.
Kuragehime - A fun series with really great characters and character interactions. And it gets bonus points for jellyfish. :p: The plot isn't anything that complex though, and unfortunately it comes to an abrupt stop at only 11 episodes, with absolutely no closure, and a sequel seems highly unlikely at this point. :s:

Last Exile - The undisputed king of steampunk anime. Really interesting setting, and the soundtrack is amazing. The sequel is average at best, though. Way up there in my all-time Top 50 series.

Mononoke - Another one with an unusual animation style, thinking about it. Quite good for an episodic series, each of the mini arcs was weird and entertaining. I actually preferred it to the similar but usually higher-rated Mushishi.

Moyashimon - Aside from being an educational series about microbes, it's also one of the funniest slice of life/comedy series I've ever watched, and with a slightly older cast than most series since it's set in university as opposed to high school. Also in my Top 50, and highly recommended.

Uchouten Kazoku - This one I didn't like so much. I can't remember much about it, and looking back at my blog posts from the time, I kept bringing up the fact that it didn't stand out much compared to everything else that was airing. Also that the dialogue was quite heavy. It could just be me though, I remember reading a lot of positive reviews at the time.

Thanks!
Started watching Kuroko No Basuke and am loving it so far
Posted from TSR Mobile

Kissanime is down :frown:.
Is anyone else watching Charlotte? It in a weird way reminds me of Angel Beats.

Latest