The Student Room Group

What should I do about my AS Results?

Today I finally received my results sheet, and even though I knew before that my grades were ACC (Psychology, History, Media), I didn't expect my separate module grades to be so bad!

I got a C overall in history, however I got a C in the British paper (Mark equivalent: 67) and a D in the Non-British paper (Mark equivalent: 58)

I also got a C in overall in media, however I got a C in my coursework (Mark equivalent: 67) and D in my exam (Mark equivalent: 59).

I knew that I did badly in my history exam. This year we had the worst history teacher you could possibly imagine and this had a negative effect on my results. I genuinely thought I did better than a C in my British paper though.

I don't know what happened in media. I thought my coursework was at least a B and I didn't think I would've gotten a D in my exam (however at that time I was really ill and on antibiotics, I couldn't concentrate and spent more time sneezing/coughing than actually writing).

I want to study History and Russian at university, where the grade requirements vary from AAB to ABB.

I really don't know what to do. Even before I received my results I knew that I would have to resit the Non British history paper and therefore I already started revising in the summer. However, I didn't think that I'd need to resit anything else. Should I consider any remarks?

In history, I want to receive an A. I know that I am capable, as throughout the year I received many A's and very rarely got any C's. I also got an A* in my GCSE. If I was going to only resit the paper I got a D in without resetting the paper I got a C in, what would I need to get this year (in both exams) to get an A overall?

Also, if I don't want to resit Media, what would I need to get this year (in coursework and exam) to get a B overall?
If the course you want to do offers at AAB/ABB then your grades are fine, you can still get offers with them.
That being said, if it's only being held down by a particular module then it may be worth resitting it to help bump up the grade a bit easier
Original post by All-rounder
If the course you want to do offers at AAB/ABB then your grades are fine, you can still get offers with them.
That being said, if it's only being held down by a particular module then it may be worth resitting it to help bump up the grade a bit easier

In both history and media I got 1 C and 1 D which made a C overall, so my results are not being held down by just 1 grade. I definitely want to retake my D in history and I know that if I try hard I can get an A in that paper. What I really don't want to do is retake anything else because I feel like it could affect my year 13 exams :s-smilie: But maybe retaking something else is necessary?
Original post by Fleming1928
In both history and media I got 1 C and 1 D which made a C overall, so my results are not being held down by just 1 grade. I definitely want to retake my D in history and I know that if I try hard I can get an A in that paper. What I really don't want to do is retake anything else because I feel like it could affect my year 13 exams :s-smilie: But maybe retaking something else is necessary?

I retook 3 AS exams this year and it didnt affect me much as they're quite in advance of the A2 exams.
And if you move that D up to an A or B then your overall grade could very well change and average out at a B for that half of the grade. Still worth it imo
Original post by All-rounder
I retook 3 AS exams this year and it didnt affect me much as they're quite in advance of the A2 exams.
And if you move that D up to an A or B then your overall grade could very well change and average out at a B for that half of the grade. Still worth it imo

Okay, thank you :h:
ACC is ok and it is promising that you scored so highly in some units that it brought your average up overall.

You could in theory not do resits and try to score well in A2 to bring your average up or you could resit the relevant AS units to try achieving the same outcome.

It all depends what you want overall. ACC can still open doors to some damn good uni courses depending on what you want to do.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
ACC is ok and it is promising that you scored so highly in some units that it brought your average up overall.

You could in theory not do resits and try to score well in A2 to bring your average up or you could resit the relevant AS units to try achieving the same outcome.

It all depends what you want overall. ACC can still open doors to some damn good uni courses depending on what you want to do.

I want to study History and Russian, which is only offered by about 9 universities. The lowest grade requirement is ABB. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest