The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Racoon
Has anyone heard of a quote that goes something like this...

We are all in a lifeboat, while we are in it we might as well all sing...?

“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats"?

Is that the quote you are on about
Original post by garfeeled

That sounds about right thank you.

Someone said it at a friends funeral a couple of weeks ago in one of the tributes and it struck a cord with me.
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit

In 2 Corinthians 3 v 18 we find this verse. I love the fact that our faces display and reflect God's glory.
1 Corinthians 12:8-10 and Romans 12 talk about the gifts God give us through knowing his Holy Spirit in our lives

Prophecy
Serving
Teaching
Exhortation
Giving
Leadership
Mercy
Word of wisdom
Word of knowledge
Faith
Gifts of healings
Prophecy
Tongues Interpretation of tongues
Distinguishing between spirits

Galatians 5:22-23 - The fruit of the Spirit is

love
joy
peace
patience
kindness
goodness
faithfulness
gentleness
and self-control

The fruit of the Holy Spirit is the result of the Holy Spirit's presence in the life of a Christian.

Here's a challenge...... what fruit are you bearing and what gift are you sharing? :smile:
Titus 1:7-8

Because an overseer is God’s servant manager, he must be blameless. He must not be arrogant or irritable. He must not drink too much, be a violent person, or make money in shameful ways. 8 Instead, he must be hospitable to strangers, must appreciate what is good, and be sensible, honest, moral, and self-controlled.

Remember this with freshers week coming up soon hahahahah
Hebrews 13:1-2 Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters. 2 Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers,for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!

Hebrews 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased

Hey garfeeled :smile: are you a Christian?
Original post by Racoon
1 Corinthians 12:8-10 and Romans 12 talk about the gifts God give us through knowing his Holy Spirit in our lives

Prophecy
Serving
Teaching
Exhortation
Giving
Leadership
Mercy
Word of wisdom
Word of knowledge
Faith
Gifts of healings
Prophecy
Tongues Interpretation of tongues
Distinguishing between spirits

Galatians 5:22-23 - The fruit of the Spirit is

love
joy
peace
patience
kindness
goodness
faithfulness
gentleness
and self-control

The fruit of the Holy Spirit is the result of the Holy Spirit's presence in the life of a Christian.

Here's a challenge...... what fruit are you bearing and what gift are you sharing? :smile:

I'd say the main gift I've received (have had snippets of a few at various points in the past) is distinguishing between spirits. I suppose my main fruit is peace :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'd say the main gift I've received (have had snippets of a few at various points in the past) is distinguishing between spirits. I suppose my main fruit is peace :h:

Ahh that's lovely, can I add one more? The gift of encouragement, thats you!
Original post by Racoon
Ahh that's lovely, can I add one more? The gift of encouragement, thats you!

Awww, thanks :colondollar:

It's easier for me to say which gifts/fruits I don't have. Like patience and self-control :redface: And leadership! :afraid: :hide: :nope:

What gifts/fruits do you feel you've experienced in your life? :smile:

It's easier for me to say which gifts/fruits I don't have. Like patience and self-control :redface: And leadership! :afraid: :hide: :nope:

I agree, it's easier to say the ones I don't have but we may not think we have it but other people may see it :smile:

I would say I've experience faithfulness quite a few times in the past year, serving is a big one for me also :smile:
Original post by temi.h.o.
I agree, it's easier to say the ones I don't have but we may not think we have it but other people may see it :smile:

I would say I've experience faithfulness quite a few times in the past year, serving is a big one for me also :smile:

Both good ones to have :biggrin: Serving, I'm not too good at, but I'm trying to improve in that area :colondollar:
Original post by Racoon
Hey garfeeled :smile: are you a Christian?

Currently I don't know. Feeling a tad unsure about it actually.
Currently I don't know. Feeling a tad unsure about it actually.

Have you ever been a Christian or have you had a different faith?

Again me too, I need to develop more self-control and more patience would be a blessing, and I'd love more faith.

Definitely giving, I love to be as generous as I can with anything I have, be it my time, encouragement, things/stuff, whatever. If I see a need I try to help.

I'd like God to develop in me other giftings like praying for healing and more stuff like prophesy for people's lives.
Original post by Racoon
Have you ever been a Christian or have you had a different faith?

I used to be but I moved away some time ago. I think that what's makes this so confusing. I'm not moving back towards what I once was but towards something different even if it is familiar.
I used to be but I moved away some time ago. I think that what's makes this so confusing. I'm not moving back towards what I once was but towards something different even if it is familiar.

How do you mean?
2 Timothy 2 v 22-26

Run away from infantile indulgence. Run after mature righteousness—faith, love, peace—joining those who are in honest and serious prayer before God.

Refuse to get involved in inane discussions; they always end up in fights. God’s servant must not be argumentative, but a gentle listener and a teacher who keeps cool, working firmly but patiently with those who refuse to obey.

You never know how or when God might sober them up with a change of heart and a turning to the truth, enabling them to escape the Devil’s trap, where they are caught and held captive, forced to run his errands.

These verses remind me how God wants us to just enjoy life and love others, not to chase after stuff that's not worth getting involved in :h:
GOD IS SO GOOD!!! I guess I can finally kinda spill on what was going on: in a nutshell I thought I had a failed a resit (did worse than the 1st time) and wouldn't be allowed to go through to 3rd year, but today my tutor told me I passed them all and even though it will be a struggle, I will be going through to my final year :biggrin: I was honestly ready to throw in the towel and just give up on getting a degree but God made a way for me 🙌🏾 Thanks for the prayers everyone!!
Original post by alexschmalex
GOD IS SO GOOD!!! I guess I can finally kinda spill on what was going on: in a nutshell I thought I had a failed a resit (did worse than the 1st time) and wouldn't be allowed to go through to 3rd year, but today my tutor told me I passed them all and even though it will be a struggle, I will be going through to my final year :biggrin: I was honestly ready to throw in the towel and just give up on getting a degree but God made a way for me 🙌🏾 Thanks for the prayers everyone!!

Great stuff :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending