The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

RG3 demoted from starter. With all the inconsistencies and injuries it was only a matter of time.
Some really interesting cuts.

I would have thought hell would have to freeze over before the Bills cut Fred Jackson. Talk about a rock solid workhorse.

Broncos flipped Chris Clark to the Texans for a seventh pick. Apparently, there has been rumblings that Elway hasn't finished his overhaul of that line, but tackle depth is lacking. Guard depth, should be pretty good though...
Original post by jammy4041
I would have thought hell would have to freeze over before the Bills cut Fred Jackson. Talk about a rock solid workhorse.

And his goal line skill-set that McCoy is, arguably, lacking in!

Original post by ..DT..
RG3 demoted from starter. With all the inconsistencies and injuries it was only a matter of time.

Don't know how I feel about this one! Redskins could turn into a more consistent team with Cousins which just makes the NFC East harder... that being said, it's still a dysfunctional organisation so they aren't really a threat.
Damn I feel bad for Fred Jackson. Hopefully he becomes a Cowboy and goes for 1800 yards.

Looks like the Skins will be drafting a QB soon, and probably picking high. I don't think there's any reason to believe that Cousins can get the job done. Apparently Snyder isn't allowing the front office to try to trade RG3 LOL
#justiceforbrady
Thoughts on the Brady ruling?

Personally I'm disgusted! There's no way that he wasn't involved and he deserves to be punished. He, also, shouldn't have tried to shirk his punishment like a petulant child; every other QB would be punished and the vast majority would deal with it like men!

I hope Rex sends some nasty blitzes his way and he's out for at least part of the season... That'd go some way towards carma!
Lol sod off what a **** that you would hope for someone to get hurt.

Justice is done. **** Ted Wells
If the NFL really had evidence that he did something wrong they should have done their jobs properly and not followed a process that blatantly didn't conform to the law.
If you can even call the NFL's actions in this a "process."
Reply 1209
Goodell went mental so I can see why the ruling got overturned. You have to follow procedure which at least makes the process look fair, in an ideal world it would actually be fair of course. You can't get mad when people overturn your decisions when you've got all Judge Dredd on the issue. If the NFL thought Brady should have been suspended for cheating, in anticipation of the ensuing battle they should have made the process look fair to the outsider who is unfamiliar with the NFL CBA; if they'd have done that then there would have been no outcry. Brady didn't help matters with the phone thing but you can 'put the prosecution to proof' as we'd say in England because lack of evidence that you didn't do something doesn't mean you're guilty. The Wells Report has so many holes blown in it that it wasn't worth the paper it was written on and I think Ted should be getting some serious flack from both sides of this argument about the way he conducted that report and how he drew his conclusions. From what I understand the judge never even wanted to rule on the case probably because he knew the consequences of losing for the NFL. The NFL were so hardline in their refusal to settle what has looked like a losing battle from early on that I think they deserve all they get.

NFL have appealed anyway so frustratingly this is not totally over. It will probably be the last we hear of it this season though.

P.S. I don't even like Brady and now he gets to beat the Jaguars in Week 3 where he would have been suspended so there is no fanboyism in my opinion.
Ted Wells must be considered such a ****ing hack but it doesn't matter because his firm makes millions of dollars just being the NFL's lackeys. Kind of makes you wonder what really happened in Miami with Incognito and Martin. I would have thought the NFL would have more of a vested interest in the outcome of that than they did deflategate.
Cowboys now have a decent fight in week five. Romo and Bryant Ftw though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Josh_Stride , no matter how much you may hate a player, wishing injury on a player is the most classless thing you can do.

Ultimately, it's good that Brady is back for week 1. Yeah, selfishly, losing Brady ultimately gives my team a better chance of getting home advantage in the playoffs, but I don't want there to be any excuses. The Broncos will have to earn it. Tom Brady only has a few years left in the tank, and we've all got to appreciate what we are seeing every time we see him play -- and yes this is also true for Peyton Manning too.

This perhaps has some interesting ramifications for Jimmy G as the QB of the future though. There's a fairly big parallel with Brock Osweiler -- second round picks who backed up QBs who will both be in the top-5, ever, at the position. The differencw is with Brock, is that he's going to be in his final year this year, of his rookie deal, and will be paid -- or not -- without QBing an NFL game in anger. That's my fear with Jimmy G. Now the Patriots won't get a chance to see what he is like when the matches count -- he may or may not have starter value right now, but it could have boosted his trade value. At least the Pats would have known what he could do in a proper game rather than to risk it and wait until the end of his contract, or whenever Brady retires, to do.

Tom Brady may or may not have been guilty, but the process was ****ed up and ultimately the punishment did not fit the crime. To be honest, the phone business was suspect though. I could see some reasoning for the punishment based on what Tom Brady did with his phone, but the approach was all wrong. And yeah, there's the obvious retort that Goodell hasn't given up his phone data either. And then the whole mess that the data on the phone wasn't needed, and well, it was obvious Brady was going to be off the hook sooner rather than later.

From my understanding though, the team will still lose its 2016 first round pick. That's painful, even for a team which should be drafting after #20 anyway -- especially since their first pick would be around #50 overall. Yes, it helps salary cap, but ultimately it leads to a lack of talent in the depth position at roster. 2016 is a good draft for cornerbacks, and the Patriots need to address CB -- as things stand right now. The 2017 fourth round loss is also painful as 4-rounders are usually second string guys, but are paid on a scale which means that that they are very team friendly, which means 4 years locked up for dirt cheap.

@Malevolent Any word whether McCourty is still playing corner? Thoughts on that?
(edited 8 years ago)
The NFL ****ed up big time. They can appeal but the best chance for a win was with Berman. Funny they picked the venue, got a judge who was not pro Union and yet their case was blown up by him. Goodell just looks like a fool.

Also **** ESPN in how they have handled this.

Special shoutout to that hack Lester Munson who every time he predicts something the opposite happens. :lol: Brady has no chance amirite?!?

Wrt McCourty I think he was just playing Cornerback because we need to test the other safeties out, we already know what we have with McCourty at safety so makes sense to see what the others are like. I'd be real surprised if come next week the starting cornerbacks for the pats aren't Butler and Brown. Ryan I think is a poor cornerback gets beat far too easily so it's bewteen him and fletcher for that slot cornerback role and from what I've read Fletcher has outperformed him.
And just lol Goodell won't be going to the opening game next week. First good decision he's made in a while. If he was there it would get ugly.
Utah will be a force this season. Great win by the Utes. How did they crash out of that top 25, again?!?!

Their defense is still nasty, and their offense is pretty darn good. Michigan needed to win tough games like that in Salt Lake City if they were to have a chance to be ranked highly come the end of the season.
(edited 8 years ago)
On one hand it bugs me that Brady got off totally untouched, the judge should've at least given him the one game suspension he offered to take imo, but at the same time, I love seeing Goodell shown up like this :thumbsup:
The judge doesn't have the authority to reduce the suspension.
Original post by SmashConcept
The judge doesn't have the authority to reduce the suspension.

I thought that by going to court they gave him authority? Not sure how the whole sports court thing works but I assumed that if they go federal with this that would be one of the outcomes
Original post by alexschmalex
I thought that by going to court they gave him authority? Not sure how the whole sports court thing works but I assumed that if they go federal with this that would be one of the outcomes
Not really. He can either find that the NFL's arbitration process was legal and uphold the suspension, or he can find that it didn't comply with trade law and nullify the suspension. The reason other judges were able to reduce suspensions is because there was a domestic violence policy already in place, and warning has to be given before people were suspended for longer under a new policy. With Rice and Peterson they were retroactively held to a policy that didn't exist when they committed their transgressions, so the judge ruled to punish them per the policy that previously existed. With this part of the NFL's problem was there was no policy in place, and Goodell tried to claim that ball tampering was most similar to PED use, which the judge rejected. The judge ruled that any suspension didn't comply with shop law because the arbitration process was prejudiced against Brady.

Quick Reply

Latest