The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liam__
After over 20 applications and months of rejection, I've finally landed a HCA job! Hopefully getting into medicine won't take me that many applications...

Congratulations! That's what I'm hoping to do, unfortunately most posts in my area are full time and I'm back at uni in a few weeks. Hopefully I can find one with fewer hours or at the very least hang on until the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophmlg
Congratulations! That's what I'm hoping to do, unfortunately most posts in my area are full time and I'm back at uni in a few weeks. Hopefully I can find one with fewer hours or at the very least hang on until the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any HCA experience? If so agency or bank work might be good for you during the university holidays.
Reply 1862
Original post by liam__
Yep I think I might as well go for it, 702.5 was good enough last year. I'll probably go for either Durham or Newcastle 5 year course and then 2 GAMSAT unis. Good luck for your retest!

5 year I am so jealous!!!!
So you have or will take GAMSAT - hands down to you I was too scared to do so haha! Well done again for the job!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Received this reply from King's admissions earlier today:

'Thank you for your interest in studying at King’s . Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. They will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT when applying for 2016 entry. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool), the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the score may be the determining factor in selection for interview. As a guide for applicants, for 2015/6 entry the majority of successful applicants had scored at least 630 for A100 and 720 for A102 on average.'

So, the top 25% UKCAT cut off no longer applies? I specifically enquired about graduate entry, but she wrote about the 5 year course average UKCAT being 630, so I'm not sure if everything she's written is regarding the 5 year course or both...
Original post by DoeADeer
Received this reply from King's admissions earlier today:

'Thank you for your interest in studying at King’s . Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. They will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT when applying for 2016 entry. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool), the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the score may be the determining factor in selection for interview. As a guide for applicants, for 2015/6 entry the majority of successful applicants had scored at least 630 for A100 and 720 for A102 on average.'

So, the top 25% UKCAT cut off no longer applies? I specifically enquired about graduate entry, but she wrote about the 5 year course average UKCAT being 630, so I'm not sure if everything she's written is regarding the 5 year course or both...

I'd assume they are referring to how they select candidates for interview for both their 5 year and grad courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, did my UKCAT today and got 712.5. Not sure if this is a good enough score for any of the grad programmes, I was thinking of putting 1 grad and the rest undergrad. Does anyone know which grad schools I may have a chance at? Not doing the GAMSAT either.
Reply 1866
Original post by x_meg_x
Hi guys, did my UKCAT today and got 712.5. Not sure if this is a good enough score for any of the grad programmes, I was thinking of putting 1 grad and the rest undergrad. Does anyone know which grad schools I may have a chance at? Not doing the GAMSAT either.

Hey this is the same position as me, although I got a lower UKCAT score. I think a score of 712.5 is good enough for most grad programmes, however it is a very good if you are applying for undergrad, I would recommend maybe 2 of grad and 2 of undergrad to maximise chances of getting into Medical School, good luck and let us know how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
hey guys! Hope we are all good!

In need of some advice, I sat the UKCATSEN last week and got 2380, 510 in VR, 680 in QR, 580 in AR and 610 in DA, Band 1 in SJ.
So this is obvs rubbish, and I'm banking on the GAMSAT going better...
On set for a 1st in Physiology from the uni of Liverpool. lots of work exp, volunteering and community engagement...
Just rubbish at entry exams clearly...
Anyone got any advice??
Original post by Rebeelouise
hey guys! Hope we are all good!

In need of some advice, I sat the UKCATSEN last week and got 2380, 510 in VR, 680 in QR, 580 in AR and 610 in DA, Band 1 in SJ.
So this is obvs rubbish, and I'm banking on the GAMSAT going better...
On set for a 1st in Physiology from the uni of Liverpool. lots of work exp, volunteering and community engagement...
Just rubbish at entry exams clearly...
Anyone got any advice??

There's a couple of universities that don't used admission exams (Birmingham, Cambridge), it might be worth checking if you meet their other requirements.
Also... what weighting does SJ have...? Cause... I did well in that bit!!!!!
Original post by Wanderlust&Tea
There's a couple of universities that don't used admission exams (Birmingham, Cambridge), it might be worth checking if you meet their other requirements.

Birmingham.... have to actually have a degree, so can't apply this year, maybe next year if I don't get in.
Waiting for a response from Cambridge!!!
Birmingham.... have to actually have a degree, so can't apply this year, maybe next year if I don't get in.
Waiting for a response from Cambridge!!!

There's also Bristol if you meet their requirements :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also... what weighting does SJ have...? Cause... I did well in that bit!!!!!

Sadly none, as far as I'm aware.
Original post by KirstieW
There's also Bristol if you meet their requirements :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have ABB at A-Level, and they want AAB, I emailed them earlier this year. I was sick in my chemistry A-level exam and missed the A grade, they said they'd take it into consideration, but basically implied that they'd reject me on anther means.......
Which is really annoying!
Original post by liam__
Sadly none, as far as I'm aware.

Well, that is rather upsetting... I practiced that section for nothing!!!
Reply 1875
Hi fellow grads applying for Medicine for 2016!

In reply to Rebeelouise, it is good you got the main parts such as work exp. volunteering and degree sorted. I know how you're feeling with the UKCAT. I failed 3 times so this year is going to be the 4th time I'm doing the UKCAT. Hopefully 4th time lucky.

Hope you do well in the GAMSAT!
Hi everyone. I just wanted your opinion on my application for GEM:
1st class degree in biomedical science
MSC in Drug Discovery (basically pharmacology and worked at GSK)
MRes in musculoskeletal ageing (lots of ageing stuff in this course!)
Shadowed: respiratory, stroke, rheumatology, emergency care consultants and an f1 and f2.
Worked as a HCA.
I now work for the NHS in research and devlopment helping doctors be engaged in research.
Sounds good right? But UKCAT was 680 :frown:
Also my a levels are not good enough for any that consider them. I'm not doing any other entrance tests this year.
Please let me have your thoughts as even though I have loads of experience my UKCAT let me down :frown:

Thanks
Original post by NewNew
Hi fellow grads applying for Medicine for 2016!

In reply to Rebeelouise, it is good you got the main parts such as work exp. volunteering and degree sorted. I know how you're feeling with the UKCAT. I failed 3 times so this year is going to be the 4th time I'm doing the UKCAT. Hopefully 4th time lucky.

Hope you do well in the GAMSAT!

Good luck and keep going! UKCAT is rubbish!!!!
You'll get there :smile:
Original post by Amywool
Shadowed: respiratory, stroke, rheumatology, emergency care consultants and an f1 and f2.
Worked as a HCA.
I now work for the NHS in research and devlopment helping doctors be engaged in research.
Also my a levels are not good enough for any that consider them. I'm not doing any other entrance tests this year.
Please let me have your thoughts as even though I have loads of experience my UKCAT let me down :frown:

Thanks

What did you get in the VR section of UKCAT? Having an MSc, you could be in with a shot at Warwick with 680.

Edit...I see you got 620 in VR. I reckon you would get an interview at Warwick.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Amywool
Worked as a HCA.

Thanks

Warwick could still be an option for you, as your Masters means there will be a lower UKCAT cutoff. Are you taking the GAMSAT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending