The Student Room Group

I'm going to fail GCSE history!!!!!!

I have currently just started year 11 and my progress grades in history modern world throught year 10 was bad. I got C,E,C,E,C. and my average was a c/d. My target grade is a B and no matter how hard I work I don't think that I'm ever going to achieve that. All last year I did all my homeworks and wrote 3/4 pages of detailed work per lesson and my teacher told me that wasn't enough work even though I did over the limit. In all my other subjects I'm in top sets and I'm getting A*,A and B's so I know that I'm not a bad student. I tried changing history but it was too late. To be honest, I don't think my teacher even likes me and she always picks on me during the lesson and she even told me that if I have difficulty with english or if I have any 'english barriers' then I should come and get support. My grade is in English btw is an A and just because I wasn't born here doesn't mean I'm bad at English. Anyways, I found out that I still have her this year and before the summer holidays I asked her to give me any extra work to do during the holidays and she said ok but she never gave me anything even after I told her. I'm dreading going back to her class next week because I know that i'll never achieve the grade that I want.
Reply 1
Problem with History is, obviously, you need to know facts, reasons and argue your point effectively.

Can you tell us what revision guide you're using and the exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I was you I would just ignore what your teacher is saying to you. I'd pickup a textbook, and make lots of notes and literally memorise every single fact. You need to MEMORISE EVERY SINGLE DATE IN YOUR COURSE FOR THE EXAM! I sat GCSE History this year and I got an A* with 100% in a few modules. The reason why I am suggesting you memorise every date and fact is because examiners look for "PRECISE OWN KNOWLEDGE". That means the examiner knows you have a good understanding of that period. Trust me, if you memorise every single date and fact (I did Edexcel - In their textbooks they have a timeline with most of the dates either in the middle or at the end of the book) you will get an A* or at least an A no matter how bad you structure your answer.

The way I memorised dates is firstly memorising the actual dates (numbers) and chunked it up so I would try and memorise about 6 dates at a time and keep on writing those dates until I memorised them. Then I would keep on writing what happened on that date, and keep on doing it til it stuck in my head. Then I would link the numbers and the event up and move on with the next 6 dates.

It really works, I did this about 3 days before each history exam and it all went fine. A* in GCSE History.
What grade do you want by the end of it?
go on to bitesize "how to write an essay" that'll help make sure you're not just retelling the history but explaining it while telling it if that makes sense but i understand ig your teacher doesn't like you she could just be marking you harshly, you still have time please don't give up or listen to what she says schools pointless anyway, everything you learn there you can find on the internet :tongue:
Original post by booksandcats
I have currently just started year 11 and my progress grades in history modern world throught year 10 was bad. I got C,E,C,E,C. and my average was a c/d. My target grade is a B and no matter how hard I work I don't think that I'm ever going to achieve that. All last year I did all my homeworks and wrote 3/4 pages of detailed work per lesson and my teacher told me that wasn't enough work even though I did over the limit. In all my other subjects I'm in top sets and I'm getting A*,A and B's so I know that I'm not a bad student. I tried changing history but it was too late. To be honest, I don't think my teacher even likes me and she always picks on me during the lesson and she even told me that if I have difficulty with english or if I have any 'english barriers' then I should come and get support. My grade is in English btw is an A and just because I wasn't born here doesn't mean I'm bad at English. Anyways, I found out that I still have her this year and before the summer holidays I asked her to give me any extra work to do during the holidays and she said ok but she never gave me anything even after I told her. I'm dreading going back to her class next week because I know that i'll never achieve the grade that I want.

In year 10 I was getting e's and d's in mock exams, but my actual GCSE grade was an A. You need to learn how to answer the questions, which is the hardest part as it isn't a obvious what the examiner is asking. Obviously you need to learn all the facts and dates, but constructing an argument with relevant points to back it up is really important too.
Original post by SkyJP
Problem with History is, obviously, you need to know facts, reasons and argue your point effectively.

Can you tell us what revision guide you're using and the exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exam board is OCR
Original post by Alan-K
If I was you I would just ignore what your teacher is saying to you. I'd pickup a textbook, and make lots of notes and literally memorise every single fact. You need to MEMORISE EVERY SINGLE DATE IN YOUR COURSE FOR THE EXAM! I sat GCSE History this year and I got an A* with 100% in a few modules. The reason why I am suggesting you memorise every date and fact is because examiners look for "PRECISE OWN KNOWLEDGE". That means the examiner knows you have a good understanding of that period. Trust me, if you memorise every single date and fact (I did Edexcel - In their textbooks they have a timeline with most of the dates either in the middle or at the end of the book) you will get an A* or at least an A no matter how bad you structure your answer.

The way I memorised dates is firstly memorising the actual dates (numbers) and chunked it up so I would try and memorise about 6 dates at a time and keep on writing those dates until I memorised them. Then I would keep on writing what happened on that date, and keep on doing it til it stuck in my head. Then I would link the numbers and the event up and move on with the next 6 dates.

It really works, I did this about 3 days before each history exam and it all went fine. A* in GCSE History.

Tysm, I'm going to try that.
Original post by funkymonster
What grade do you want by the end of it?

I want to get at least a B.
Original post by Cornflakes1688
go on to bitesize "how to write an essay" that'll help make sure you're not just retelling the history but explaining it while telling it if that makes sense but i understand ig your teacher doesn't like you she could just be marking you harshly, you still have time please don't give up or listen to what she says schools pointless anyway, everything you learn there you can find on the internet :tongue:

Okay, thank you :smile:
Original post by chantalc
In year 10 I was getting e's and d's in mock exams, but my actual GCSE grade was an A. You need to learn how to answer the questions, which is the hardest part as it isn't a obvious what the examiner is asking. Obviously you need to learn all the facts and dates, but constructing an argument with relevant points to back it up is really important too.

Sure :wink: ty
Sure :wink: ty

Was only trying to help?
What's the exam called? I did OCR History and got an A. What I did was just listened in class and completed any homework given. Continuing, I used BBC bite size and a cgp to revise from. Make sure that you do well in your coursework.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by patronusleviosa
What's the exam called? I did OCR History and got an A. What I did was just listened in class and completed any homework given. Continuing, I used BBC bite size and a cgp to revise from. Make sure that you do well in your coursework.

There are 2 exams, one is Russia from 1905-41 and the other one is a british depth study 1890-1918 and there is a controlled assessment about Germany from 1918-45.
The problem with how schools teach history is that they make it all about facts and dates and not enough about the characters involved. It is made to be so impersonal as to be tedious to those who do not have a sustained interest in the subject already, like myself. History is about all the interesting characters and conflicts that have happened throughout humanity's long existence, and how this has shaped the world. Instead of making it something to explore, it is made out to be something to memorise and write long essays about.
Original post by The Dictator
The problem with how schools teach history is that they make it all about facts and dates and not enough about the characters involved. It is made to be so impersonal as to be tedious to those who do not have a sustained interest in the subject already, like myself. History is about all the interesting characters and conflicts that have happened throughout humanity's long existence, and how this has shaped the world. Instead of making it something to explore, it is made out to be something to memorise and write long essays about.

I completely agree. However if anyone studying GCSE history right now then really they need to just memorise the dates and what happened. It's a real shame as history is not all about dates, but people too.
I want to get at least a B.

I got a B in my GCSE History and I didn't revise as much as I did other subjects but having said that I did touch up on it in January and do cramming the week before and I don't even know if it is a high B. Just memorise your facts and know how to strongly express your opinion and evaluate. Also do past papers cos I didn't do any x
There are 2 exams, one is Russia from 1905-41 and the other one is a british depth study 1890-1918 and there is a controlled assessment about Germany from 1918-45.

Okay, yeah, I did the same British paper. Just get the cgp OCR revision book.

Quick Reply

Latest