The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Embob93
It's been so long for me too! How can you help? Really appreciate any! :smile:

Just tell me what you dont understand and I'll try explain it in easier terms with examples or give tips.
Original post by blackfort15
Hi I am a 49 year old mature student studying Early Childhood Studies at Stranmillis University College in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am very keen to do a PGCE starting September 2016. There appears to only be 2 options for this in NI - PGCE in Early Years Education at Stranmillis or Primary Education at Ulster, Coleraine. I have extensive experience gained from working as a classroom assistant in the primary sector. I currently work with children with SEN in both literacy and numeracy on a one to one basis. I am also a qualified and experienced phonics practitioner. I am concerned that my age may go against me when applying. Also, I am aware that I may have to apply outside NI for courses which as a mother I would find difficult but would be willing to so to get this qualification. Any advice would be most welcome

Hi 🙋 fellow Northern Irish person! The choice here is so limited and as i am an undergraduate feel like I don't have enough experience as well as the fierce competition! I don't think age is an issue. Just be wary when applying in the rest of the UK as for some reason the courses are non-transferable i.e. To teach in NI you need to go to uni here or do a year when you come back. You have really good experience so just write an amazing personal statement and you should be fine
Original post by TunaTunnel
Just tell me what you dont understand and I'll try explain it in easier terms with examples or give tips.

There was a practice question 4/5th of 165 in the non calculator part and just didn't get how to do it quickly

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Original post by Lambert87
There was a practice question 4/5th of 165 in the non calculator part and just didn't get how to do it quickly

4/5 = 80%, find 10%. 16.5, then times by 2 = 33 and subtract from 165.
4/5 = 80%, find 10%. 16.5, then times by 2 = 33 and subtract from 165.

Legend -- thanks

Trying to learn common fractions to aid me! Any advice?

1/8 = 0.125 = 12.5% is important.
Hey, I don't know whether I'm being over-anxious but I've sent out multiple emails to schools for some work experience a few days ago and I've still not had replies back. Should I be worried? The emails were all sent to the training school email addresses, should I have sent emails to the main school address?
Original post by edwardseo07
Hey, I don't know whether I'm being over-anxious but I've sent out multiple emails to schools for some work experience a few days ago and I've still not had replies back. Should I be worried? The emails were all sent to the training school email addresses, should I have sent emails to the main school address?

They are probably really busy as it's the first week back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura.a.c265
They are probably really busy as it's the first week back

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I thought as much, but I guess only having 2 and a half weeks to fit in some work experience before university is making me a bit more nervous than I should be! :smile:
Hey everyone :smile: hoping to apply for a Primary PGCE this year in the Tyne and Wear area. Would preferably prefer a university based course rather than Schools Direct or SCITT.
I completed some work experience at the end of last term and I am going to do dorm more this year through a module I'm doing at university this year. My main worry is that my experience was in a year 2 class with the occasional afternoon in year 1 so I have little experience with key stage 2. Going to try and arrange some this year but I think my work experience isn't going to start until late October/November and I hope to have my application sorted by then.
Also majorly nervous about interviews as I have no idea what to expect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fluffyowl
I think I will probably use Miss/Mrs (might be married by then) for my school use but definitely going to use Dr for personal use! Not done all this hard work to not use it. A lot of people I talk to are surprised I am going for primary rather than secondary, especially as I could do Maths/Physics with my degree. I did the Student Associates Scheme in my final year of undergrad and was in the Maths department of a secondary school. I hated the experience to be honest!

I took a week of holiday from my PhD to get the classroom experience last year. My SEN experience was from a part time job I had during college & undergrad. I do Brownies in the evening once a week, so that doesn't impact my PhD.

I am hoping to get a job as a teaching assistant from January to summer which will give me the rest of the classroom experience I need.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing - keep the Dr. title for personal use. I also did the Student Associate Scheme in a secondary school and I realised I much preferred primary experience I had done previously, although everybody keeps asking why not go for secondary!

I think we are in a very similar position, I'm in the process of arranging all of my experience just now but hoping to try and get a teaching assistant position - good luck with everything and I hope everything goes well for you!
What do you guys think would help improve my PGCE application?

I'm trying to make it as good as I can - reading TES and books on teaching my subject ready for an interview if I get one, getting experience of course etc.

But I'm aware that these things are competitive and there are going to be some amazing applicants gunning for the same place...
Original post by Aemiliana

I'm trying to make it as good as I can - reading TES and books on teaching my subject ready for an interview if I get one, getting experience of course etc.

But I'm aware that these things are competitive and there are going to be some amazing applicants gunning for the same place...

More classroom time, interview prep and practice questions, get strong references and make a very good PS. Those are the most important things
Hi. I am applying for Primary PGCE in Yorkshire. I have experience as a Police volunteer, helping out at Brownies and running a kids club. I am trying to gain Classroom experience but struggling to match it up with when my boss will let me take time, I work full time for the NHS.

I may have two weeks lined up for March, and 2 days for October. Do you think if I mentioned this on my personal statement it would still be worth applying for 2016?
Original post by Aemiliana

In my experience (I have a place for this year), it seems to be having experience and reflecting on it. Whatever experience you get, keenly observe both the teacher and the classroom, and make relevant reflections in your personal statement and at interview. For example, I talked to a teacher I observed a lot about adapting teaching styles and methods to a variety of different students (be it differences in ability, interests, etc). I really reflected on that in my personal statement and they asked me a lot about it during my interview. And initially I wasn't even sure if I should bring it up! From what my interviewer said, they look more at what you've taken from your experience rather than how much you have time wise.

Also make sure you are up to date on education in general. The TES forums as well as the supplement are always good to read, and in the beginning I made loads of notes. If you are on Twitter or Facebook, you could follow a lot of related pages as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 155
Any tips for the skill test. I have booked it and i am scared of failing please help guys. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Cathrela
In my experience (I have a place for this year), it seems to be having experience and reflecting on it. Whatever experience you get, keenly observe both the teacher and the classroom, and make relevant reflections in your personal statement and at interview. For example, I talked to a teacher I observed a lot about adapting teaching styles and methods to a variety of different students (be it differences in ability, interests, etc). I really reflected on that in my personal statement and they asked me a lot about it during my interview. And initially I wasn't even sure if I should bring it up! From what my interviewer said, they look more at what you've taken from your experience rather than how much you have time wise.

Also make sure you are up to date on education in general. The TES forums as well as the supplement are always good to read, and in the beginning I made loads of notes. If you are on Twitter or Facebook, you could follow a lot of related pages as well.

Is it advantageous to get a breadth of experience? I'm applying for secondary physics but some of my experience is in a primary schools and some in private schools, I think I could learn a lot in these situations eg. I found helping students who struggled the most with maths so maybe going into primary school where I cant use complex terms and might use more analogy's might help?
Is it advantageous to get a breadth of experience? I'm applying for secondary physics but some of my experience is in a primary schools and some in private schools, I think I could learn a lot in these situations eg. I found helping students who struggled the most with maths so maybe going into primary school where I cant use complex terms might help?

Absolutely in my opinion. As long as you can relate what you've learned during pre-course experiences, it can all be beneficial.
Original post by Cathrela

Thanks for this!

I'm already doing most of what you suggested but I could definitely reflect more on my experience. I filled pages of a notebook with observations during my last one so I'm sure I have stuff I can talk about in my personal statement and I'll make sure to do it in my next lot of experience.

Which TES forums would you recommend? The Classics one is practically dead and their whole layout isn't very user friendly so I've been avoiding it so far.

I also work in a primary school as a lunch lady and I'm in two minds about mentioning it in my PS - one the one hand it's not the age group I want to work with or in a classroom, on the other I've learnt a lot about how bad things can be if you don't have good behaviour management strategies, how to calm down an angry pupil or diffuse an argument, and the importance of learning names (I never realised how vital that was before I started!).

I'm probably more stressed about this application than I was about my undergraduate one.
(edited 8 years ago)
When doing classroom experience guys, what things should I definitely be making a note of? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending