The Student Room Group

Advice for those going to Year 11

Dear Year 11s,
I left Year 11 in June this year, and I am now going into sixth form to do A Levels. I just thought I'd give you some advice, because you all deserve to achieve your best potential and have a good time too :smile:

Firstly, make the most of the time you have left. Year 11 will go so quickly, soon it'll be time for your mock exams, sixth form open evenings, interviews, college open days etc. Just take it all in your stride and dont waste any precious time! I found that year 11 whizzed past before I could even process that I was leaving school.

Secondly, do all homework you have been set, especially if it's past papers or doing essay plans for controlled assessments. This will help you get a feel for what it's like during the exam period. However, if you look on websites for the exam boards AQA, OCR and Edexcel (others too), they should have some past papers for you to complete.

Thirdly, revise your butt off. I started revising very early in the year and trust me, it paid off. I wrote notes on coloured cards and made mind maps, it helped such a lot and helped me process important information I needed to know. :smile: ask your teacher if there is any revision sessions you can go along to, it all counts!

Don't be afraid of asking for help. This is important, especially when you don't understand subjects. The teachers will be glad you asked and help you.

Finally, keep in touch with your friends. Some of you may be off to different sixth forms or colleges, so keep in touch with them on Facebook and Twitter. You could also arrange to meet up with them!

Enjoy Year 11! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
Dear Year 11s,
I left Year 11 in June this year, and I am now going into sixth form to do A Levels. I just thought I'd give you some advice, because you all deserve to achieve your best potential and have a good time too :smile:

Firstly, make the most of the time you have left. Year 11 will go so quickly, soon it'll be time for your mock exams, sixth form open evenings, interviews, college open days etc. Just take it all in your stride and dont waste any precious time! I found that year 11 whizzed past before I could even process that I was leaving school.

Secondly, do all homework you have been set, especially if it's past papers or doing essay plans for controlled assessments. This will help you get a feel for what it's like during the exam period. However, if you look on websites for the exam boards AQA, OCR and Edexcel (others too), they should have some past papers for you to complete.

Thirdly, revise your butt off. I started revising very early in the year and trust me, it paid off. I wrote notes on coloured cards and made mind maps, it helped such a lot and helped me process important information I needed to know. :smile: ask your teacher if there is any revision sessions you can go along to, it all counts!

Don't be afraid of asking for help. This is important, especially when you don't understand subjects. The teachers will be glad you asked and help you.

Finally, keep in touch with your friends. Some of you may be off to different sixth forms or colleges, so keep in touch with them on Facebook and Twitter. You could also arrange to meet up with them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

When do you start applying for sixth form/college?
Original post by Starlight15
When do you start applying for sixth form/college?

You start looking October/November, then you apply :smile: you'll have an interview either in December or early 2016, then its just the case of your GCSE results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you choose your a levels when you start or before you go?
Dear Year 11s,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for making this thread:h:, do you recommend any sixth forms/colleges? :smile:
Original post by Evelyn143
Thank you for making this thread:h:, do you recommend any sixth forms/colleges? :smile:

By the look of your name I think I know what school you go to
Dear Year 11s,

Posted from TSR Mobile

that makes me feel better ish...thanks for the advice and u no...pushing us up!much appreciated and I do mindmaps for revision how did u use them before gcse exams?
Original post by booksandcats
Do you choose your a levels when you start or before you go?

Before you go, when you apply for sixth form/college you select what you want to do, then you'll be called to interview. Most subjects require a B in a GCSE subject so it all depends on what you get in your results :smile: then when you enrol depending on what you got you select your options :smile:
Original post by skhan99
that makes me feel better ish...thanks for the advice and u no...pushing us up!much appreciated and I do mindmaps for revision how did u use them before gcse exams?

It's fine, after all I was there once! I just used the key concepts and wrote important information about each, it really helped :smile: just use the method that you find best!
Dear Year 11s,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! :smile: How early did you start revising?
Original post by Starlight15
By the look of your name I think I know what school you go to

Really? what school and how do you know?
Reply 11
What did you get for your gcses? And how early did you start revising? Like summer? Because I feel bad for only doing a bit of revision this summer 😭
Original post by Evelyn143
Really? what school and how do you know?

I just PMed you the school (I Think) you go to BTW it's because of your username 😁

Quick Reply

Latest