The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cardiff Sixth Form College is a small bizarrerie: the best A-level results in the UK for 2013 and 2014. You know the brand name is strong in the target market* when there's talk of opening a 'Cardiff Sixth Form College, Oxford'.

But is someobody photobombing here?

CSFC.jpg

Spoiler

I've just started at Cardiff Sixth Form College (September 2015) and it's very VERY academic. The entrance exam was like a GCSE exam, but wasn't affiliated with a specific exam board. It's all the same content though. Nearly all of the students are form overseas, mainly China, Malaysia, Thailand, and Russian speaking countries (ie. Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan).
Reply 3
Original post by Jenniknight
I've just started at Cardiff Sixth Form College (September 2015) and it's very VERY academic. The entrance exam was like a GCSE exam, but wasn't affiliated with a specific exam board. It's all the same content though. Nearly all of the students are form overseas, mainly China, Malaysia, Thailand, and Russian speaking countries (ie. Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan).

Thank you so much Jenniknight.
By the way, do you like it? Was it hard to get in? Thank you again
Reply 4
i am also interest in CSFC, i have applied for sept2016 intake. Did anyone do the entrance test, and what was it like?Also, how many subject will be include in the entrance test
Reply 5
I got accepted to the January 2016 intake, but still havent decided whether or not I should go... May you give me more details about the school and its environment?
Reply 6
Hi I've been accepted to the Sept 2016 intake
Did you get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by VHarvey
Hi I've been accepted to the Sept 2016 intake
Did you get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I've been accepted to Cardiff sixth form college, are you still going tomorrow?
I've been accepted to Cardiff Sixth form, and thought I should post as I had these same questions myself. The entrance exam is not hard, if you learn the majority of the content of your chosen subject to do the exam in. It is basically a 1hr GCSE paper. There is an informal interview, where they ask you why you want to go to the school, and your hobbies etc. There is also an aptitude test, involving maths and non-verbal which is quite hard, especially towards the end.
Good luck!
It is a very academic school, but there are amazing opportunities especially for medical students. Please make sure it is the right environment for you though, as it's not the best for everyone! Be prepared to study hard, and encounter challenges, but remember there is fun as well. There are many school trips, and extra curricular clubs, and even a free membership to the amazing David Lloyd clubs!

All the best x
Hellooo i am frm hk too!
Do you mind pm me to get some info? I got unconditional offer and scholarships
Original post by Melolai
Hello, I am planning to attend this college this September 2017 and I am pretty concerned with the entrance exams. Is it hard and does the school accept you based on your past school reports. Because for some subjects, I do not do so well. So like if i choose Bio, phy and chem plus maths, i will hv these four subjects tested right?

Hey, do not worry about the entrance exam. I believe that Hong Kong students are often ahead of British students in terms of what they have covered at this time in the year. However, if you do want some examples I suggest looking at GCSE past papers for example from Edexcel or AQA and having ago at them. You can find them online. The school does look at your past reports but getting an offer does not depend on this. It is mainly how you do in the exam and interview.

I am unsure as to whether they are still offering places at this time in the year, but give them a ring and I'm sure they would be happy to help you. I suggest you do this fast, as you don't want to miss the deadline!

Good luck xx
hi even i have been called for the interview in CSFC could please tell me what all is asked? really worried, what to they expectthanks
Reply 12
Do you know which Exam Board for AS and A2 level Cardiff Sixth Form College students will be sitting for?
I am a grade 11 in Canada now.(I am from Shanghai)It means I don't have any GCSE score...So I am confused about whether I can apply or not.There also said I need write an application form Does application form mean the personal statement?The application procedure is to send them my personal statement first OR something....I really confused.
Reply 14
I am a grade 11 in Canada now.(I am from Shanghai)It means I don't have any GCSE score...So I am confused about whether I can apply or not.There also said I need write an application form Does application form mean the personal statement?The application procedure is to send them my personal statement first OR something....I really confused.
Hello I’m currently studying Year 12 at CSFC and I did not sit a GCSE / iGCSE exam
Basically you don’t need a GCSE / iGCSE score if your current school system does not have it
You’ll have to apply and fill out the application form which includes your personal details but not a personal statement. The college should require you to sit an application test and attend an interview. After that you’ll be informed whether you are accepted or not and what would be the requirements

You can pm me if you have any problem

Cheers
Chloe

Original post by ssdww
Reply 16
Original post by cholelwt
Hello I’m currently studying Year 12 at CSFC and I did not sit a GCSE / iGCSE exam
Basically you don’t need a GCSE / iGCSE score if your current school system does not have it
You’ll have to apply and fill out the application form which includes your personal details but not a personal statement. The college should require you to sit an application test and attend an interview. After that you’ll be informed whether you are accepted or not and what would be the requirements

You can pm me if you have any problem

Cheers
Chloe

I find the application form now.What is the resoning test?Is it hard?I chose maths,further maths,physics and economics.Do I need take entrance test of each subject I chose? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Helen
Hi Helen

I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. The individual entrance tests for each subject are not hard and in fact is quite easy for Chinese/Hong Kong people.
The reasoning test is not hard but it has a large variety of questions, from IQ tests, mathematical and logical thinking, to vocabularies.
If you'd like to know more about my personal experience you are welcome to pm me

Cheers
Chloe

Original post by ssdww
I find the application form now.What is the resoning test?Is it hard?I chose maths,further maths,physics and economics.Do I need take entrance test of each subject I chose? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Helen
Reply 18
Original post by cholelwt
Hi Helen

I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. The individual entrance tests for each subject are not hard and in fact is quite easy for Chinese/Hong Kong people.
The reasoning test is not hard but it has a large variety of questions, from IQ tests, mathematical and logical thinking, to vocabularies.
If you'd like to know more about my personal experience you are welcome to pm me

Cheers
Chloe

Now I am writing my application form.It also requires the report card last year.f Do they focuse on the score of the report card?What percent of score do you think can be accept?
Thank you very much !!!

Sincerely,
Helen
(edited 6 years ago)
It depends on which education system you are studying.
The only thing I’ll say is you’d better choose a subject that you’ve previously failed.
The focus on their own admission tests cuz it it the only thing that can justify all applicants equally.

Find me if u have any questions
Cheers
Chloe

Original post by ssdww
Now I am writing my application form.It also requires the report card last year.f Do they focuse on the score of the report card?What percent of score do you think can be accept?
Thank you very much !!!

Sincerely,
Helen

Latest