The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Do I bring food to self-catered Uni????

Hey,

So I'm starting as a Fresher at Durham University in October and it is a partly catered University, meaning that it serves food on two days and the rest we cook our own food.

I was wondering whether I should bring like spices, pastas, jams, bread, oil etc or just buy it all when I get there?

I'd recommend you bring as many staples as you possibly can - especially while you can get your parents to buy them for you! At the beginning of the year, I bring up lots of cereal (which I eat a lot of), pasta (a couple of types, usually), rice, pasta sauces, baking ingredients, salt, pepper, oil - the really basic stuff. I then top this up throughout the year through shops or bringing more back from home at the start of each term.

If your parents are coming up with you, it's nice to do a food shop as well with them while they're around and get stocked up on fresh food too.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by clonedmemories
I'd recommend you bring as many staples as you possibly can - especially while you can get your parents to buy them for you! At the beginning of the year, I bring up lots of cereal (which I eat a lot of), pasta (a couple of types, usually), rice, pasta sauces, baking ingredients, salt, pepper, oil - the really basic stuff. I then top this up throughout the year through shops or bringing more back from home at the start of each term.

If your parents are coming up with you, it's nice to do a food shop as well with them while they're around and get stocked up on fresh food too.

Brilliant, thanks very much :smile:

Quick Reply