The Student Room Group

Revision technique for a* candidate

I am going for 13 A* at the end of the year what revision technique do you advise

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by harrycarson
I am going for 13 A* at the end of the year what revision technique do you advise

What ever you use, start your revision early but make sure you don't burn yourself out. I would recommend starting in January/February
Don't cram like i did:colondollar:
Reply 2
Lol 13 A*s? If you go in to your exams wanting those, you'll probably get so worked over worrying about it that you'll not do as well as you hoped. Go for 13 A/A*s. And by now, if you were a 13A* candidate, I'd expect you'd know which revision technique to use, lol.
Reply 3
Original post by ozmo19
What ever you use, start your revision early but make sure you don't burn yourself out. I would recommend starting in January/February
Don't cram like i did:colondollar:

thanks
Reply 4

Read a book (you can download it for kindles) called how to ace your GCSE's. The revision techniques in there are really good.
Reply 5
Original post by Augvstus
Read a book (you can download it for kindles) called how to ace your GCSE's. The revision techniques in there are really good.

thanks, what kind of stuff do they suggest
Reply 6
make a list of the specification for each subject and tick each one off each point as you learn them, making sure you cover everything
Reply 7
Hiya mate.

Do a bit of light revision before Easter. Then follow a strict exam timetable for Easter, work your arse off over that period, allocating more time to subjects you find harder and going through each subject topic by topic. Do past papers wherever possible but make sure you know the content properly too. Then maintain the Easter level of revision until exams are over. Don't revise for anything after May half term until the half term itself. And make sure you're working well all year.

I'd revise something like 8 hours per day over Easter, in reality you'll revise more like 5 or 6 due to distractions though, try to minimise these. Ensure you have decent notes to revise from and print off plenty of past papers to do before easter, work these into your timetable. Do all that and you've got the best chance possible.

Worked for me anyway.
Learn what works for you when you are revising for your mock exams.

Original post by dnor
make a list of the specification for each subject and tick each one off each point as you learn them, making sure you cover everything

This is definitely a good idea though, whatever else you do.

Is it this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-ACE-Your-GCSEs-Inspired-ebook/dp/B00WT8YJ8U
Yes! It's so useful!

Thanks! I'm gonna buy it - im in same position as OP
thanks, what kind of stuff do they suggest

It has methods for fast recall, and such. I read it a while ago and can't remember it specifically, but it was really useful!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-ACE-Your.../dp/B00WT8YJ8U
Yes! It's so useful!

Oh just realised it's only kindle edition? any other way i can buy it? :frown:
Original post by dnor

seems useful, never thought of it lol
Original post by Jorus
Hiya mate.

Do a bit of light revision before Easter. Then follow a strict exam timetable for Easter, work your arse off over that period, allocating more time to subjects you find harder and going through each subject topic by topic. Do past papers wherever possible but make sure you know the content properly too. Then maintain the Easter level of revision until exams are over. Don't revise for anything after May half term until the half term itself. And make sure you're working well all year.

I'd revise something like 8 hours per day over Easter, in reality you'll revise more like 5 or 6 due to distractions though, try to minimise these. Ensure you have decent notes to revise from and print off plenty of past papers to do before easter, work these into your timetable. Do all that and you've got the best chance possible.

Worked for me anyway.

Do you really recommend 8 hours because I've heard that you should start earlier with shorter sessions rather than long sessions as you're more likely to loose your concentration. Thanks for the advice
Revision cards are key! I made hundreds of them for my subjects especially sciences, and tbh I didn't even read them after but what I learnt from just writing them helped me surprisingly well, you read it from your textbook/revision guide then write it out in your own words using colours (highlight key words) and there you've covered it twice.
Also past papers- not just doing past papers however, but having open the unwritten paper and the mark scheme, just read the question and see what the mark scheme wants, learn the things which crop up repeatedly, then maybe actually do some papers after if you have the time. (Examiners reports are quite helpful too, it's a shame many people bypass those during revision).

My year 11 mock results for sciences were D's, C's and B's however just using those techniques enabled me to get all A/A* grades in all 12 science exams I sat.
Good luck, however!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
seems useful, never thought of it lol

it saved me for GCSEs as i was a crammer!
It has methods for fast recall, and such. I read it a while ago and can't remember it specifically, but it was really useful!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-ACE-Your.../dp/B00WT8YJ8U

thanks, hope it's useful
Original post by Helpmeoutplease
Revision cards are key! I made hundreds of them for my subjects especially sciences, and tbh I didn't even read them after but what I learnt from just writing them helped me surprisingly well, you read it from your textbook/revision guide then write it out in your own words using colours (highlight key words) and there you've covered it twice.
Also past papers- not just doing past papers however, but having open the unwritten paper and the mark scheme, just read the question and see what the mark scheme wants, learn the things which crop up repeatedly, then maybe actually do some papers after if you have the time. (Examiners reports are quite helpful too, it's a shame many people bypass those during revision).
Good luck, however!

thanks a lot, I'll try the revision cards and see whether it's helpful. I have tried past papers and they seem the best for me. Do you recommend only writing points on the cards about stuff you don't know about

Quick Reply