The Student Room Group

Physics results

So I got my results back and have to say I am a bit disappointed. I got ACCC, A in maths, C is Physics, Chemistry and History. Before I got my results I was hoping to do physics at university. Would you say that this is unrealistic to aim for now because of the C in physics?
Original post by TheLonerMoaner
So I got my results back and have to say I am a bit disappointed. I got ACCC, A in maths, C is Physics, Chemistry and History. Before I got my results I was hoping to do physics at university. Would you say that this is unrealistic to aim for now because of the C in physics?

It depends on where you want to apply. If you thinking of Russel Group-esque universities then yes, you might have a problem. I guess the question is - was that C a fluke that could be easily corrected by retakes or did you genuinely struggle? If it was the former, apply this year anyway but if you don't get into anywhere you'd like to go to, you could consider taking a gap year and applying post A2 (if you dramatically improve on your AS grades) which would put you in a much stronger position. If you genuinely struggled with AS Physics then you might want to think about alternative subjects.
Original post by Plagioclase
It depends on where you want to apply. If you thinking of Russel Group-esque universities then yes, you might have a problem. I guess the question is - was that C a fluke that could be easily corrected by retakes or did you genuinely struggle? If it was the former, apply this year anyway but if you don't get into anywhere you'd like to go to, you could consider taking a gap year and applying post A2 (if you dramatically improve on your AS grades) which would put you in a much stronger position. If you genuinely struggled with AS Physics then you might want to think about alternative subjects.

During the year I was getting A's in the mock exams, hence the reason I thought that Physics would be a suitable subject to do. However due to my result my teacher isn't allowed to predict me higher than a B due to school rules about predictions. I am worried that the predicted grade would mean that my Uni application is turned down even if in the end I get an A due to retakes
Original post by TheLonerMoaner

It isn't unrealistic to aim to do physics at uni! How did you do in each individual unit? Being predicted a B will be fine as long as you can get it

With the exception of the top unis for physics the rest use alot of grade inflation in their entry requirements (they put their entry requirements a lot higher than what they will actually take), places like Leeds (I'm here), York, Southampton, qmul, kings, Exeter, Sheffield all ask for very high grades but will take around ABB on results day due to there being more places than applicants for physics and having a A in maths is good because it is the more important A-level that the unis are looking at.

I would say apply for 2 high, 2 middle and 1 low uni so maybe leeds, york, kings, Cardiff and hull for example

But on the other side I would stay away from imperial, UCL, Durham, Manchester (not sure on that one) Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madmadmax321
It isn't unrealistic to aim to do physics at uni! How did you do in each individual unit? Being predicted a B will be fine as long as you can get it

With the exception of the top unis for physics the rest use alot of grade inflation in their entry requirements (they put their entry requirements a lot higher than what they will actually take), places like Leeds (I'm here), York, Southampton, qmul, kings, Exeter, Sheffield all ask for very high grades but will take around ABB on results day due to there being more places than applicants for physics and having a A in maths is good because it is the more important A-level that the unis are looking at.

I would say apply for 2 high, 2 middle and 1 low uni so maybe leeds, york, kings, Cardiff and hull for example

But on the other side I would stay away from imperial, UCL, Durham, Manchester (not sure on that one) Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds great!! Thats what I was hoping someone would say!! I was looking edinburgh before I got my results but I am hoping I could still get to go there as it looks like an amazing uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending