The Student Room Group

A level required for Fashion Design

Hey, Well I've started my AS with Business Studies, Economics and English Literature but interested more in dropping Economics and replacing it with either Psychology or Sociology ... What do you think?
p.s. I'm going to study Fashion Design at University.
A level CIE?
How are you so sure that you will study this at uni?
Just an aspiration?

Wouldn't more "creative" subjects be more suitable?
Reply 3
Original post by Rimsha_zia
Hey, Well I've started my AS with Business Studies, Economics and English Literature but interested more in dropping Economics and replacing it with either Psychology or Sociology ... What do you think?
p.s. I'm going to study Fashion Design at University.

Your subject dont seem to match with those usually taken by fashion design students

edit-just looked on UCAS and found this statement on a lot of unis requirements for fashion design

"Any Art, Design or Media subject required"

So if you are swapping A-Levels it might be a good idea to swap it for Art or a similar subject
The ones that didnt require it said they would prefer you to have it so it would be easier for to get in with them subjects
(edited 8 years ago)
It would be good for you to have an art based subject if you want to go into doing fashion design. Ome thing uni's will ask is for you to bring a portfolio of work to your interview. Doing an art based subject during alevels helps you prepare for that. If they cant see how creative you are they wont consider you for the course.

For reference, I'm looking to do Fashion Design in the pathways of creative direction in communication at uni so or a levels I took Business studies, Fashion & Textiles, Sociology and, Economics in my first year of college but later changed to doing Fashion & Textiles, Sociology, English Literature and Communication & Culture because I enjoyed the subject's more.
Reply 5
Original post by minaeshi
It would be good for you to have an art based subject if you want to go into doing fashion design. Ome thing uni's will ask is for you to bring a portfolio of work to your interview. Doing an art based subject during alevels helps you prepare for that. If they cant see how creative you are they wont consider you for the course.

For reference, I'm looking to do Fashion Design in the pathways of creative direction in communication at uni so or a levels I took Business studies, Fashion & Textiles, Sociology and, Economics in my first year of college but later changed to doing Fashion & Textiles, Sociology, English Literature and Communication & Culture because I enjoyed the subject's more.

The thing that's really worrying me is that my college does not offer Art subjects ... SO how about I take English Lit, Business Studies, Sociology and Psychology??
Reply 6
Original post by Rimsha_zia
The thing that's really worrying me is that my college does not offer Art subjects ... SO how about I take English Lit, Business Studies, Sociology and Psychology??

Do they offer media or any kind of design subject such as textiles
What did u do in the end ? Interested :smile:
Reply 8
interested in knowing what u did at the end

Quick Reply

Latest