The Student Room Group

lying in visa application?

Putting this chat because I'd just like people's input/thoughts (:

I'm off to Sri Lanka via World Challenge as part of a charity/expedition trip with some school friends. We were fundraising for this for months in the scorching heat of Qatar and now, with 19 days left, everything inc flights and accommodation etc have been booked and the money all payed. The problem arose with the Sri Lankan visas; they require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival date and, unfortunately, I miss this literally by 20 days.

As I'm a British citizen living abroad, my passport would have to get sent back to the UK to get renewed and would take between 4-6 weeks.

Having visited and spoken to both the British embassy and the Sri Lankan embassy, my only choice now is either to lie on the visa application and write that my passport expires a month later than it does, or travel all the way back to the UK just to get my passport renewed on fast-track.Or not go. All 3 options sound ****.

What would you guys recommend and do you think it's too big of a risk to write the wrong passport expiry date on visa? Do you think they even check that? Previously when I've traveled on visa, the staff barely glance at it.

I need to complete this trip as part of my IB CAS project.
(edited 8 years ago)
On the visa application if it asks for a date that you filled in the application just put an earlier date that would still leave 6 months. Otherwise since you have to go, can't you renew the passport fast track now ?
Original post by silaiestatira

I'm off to Sri Lanka via World Challenge as part of a charity/expedition trip with some school friends. We were fundraising for this for months in the scorching heat of Qatar and now, with 19 days left, everything inc flights and accommodation etc have been booked and the money all payed. The problem arose with the Sri Lankan visas; they require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival date and, unfortunately, I miss this literally by 20 days.

As I'm a British citizen living abroad, my passport would have to get sent back to the UK to get renewed and would take between 4-6 weeks.

Having visited and spoken to both the British embassy and the Sri Lankan embassy, my only choice now is either to lie on the visa application and write that my passport expires a month later than it does, or travel all the way back to the UK just to get my passport renewed on fast-track.Or not go. All 3 options sound ****.

What would you guys recommend and do you think it's too big of a risk to write the wrong passport expiry date on visa? Do you think they even check that? Previously when I've traveled on visa, the staff barely glance at it.

I'd suggest going back to the UK to get it fast tracked. You could always lie on the application, but you don't really want to risk it. You could get the person that checks everything and then tells you that you can't go.
Original post by Username828
On the visa application if it asks for a date that you filled in the application just put an earlier date that would still leave 6 months. Otherwise since you have to go, can't you renew the passport fast track now ?

That's what the Sri Lankan embassy said too but the problem is that the visa application requires passport issued date and expiry date to check so i'd have to be lying about my passport details which is pretty srs i think. And yeah but traveling 7+ hours or so back to the UK and paying so much money for flight tickets just for a day and a passport doesn't sound that appealing haha but I think it's what i'm going to have to do

thanks (-:

Original post by Florality
I'd suggest going back to the UK to get it fast tracked. You could always lie on the application, but you don't really want to risk it. You could get the person that checks everything and then tells you that you can't go.

Yeah true, that's what i'm scared of. It'd be terrible to go on the date, have everything packed only to be sent back home. Think going back to the UK and fast tracking it is the best option. Thanks (-:
Reply 4

You're going to love world challenge. I went on it last year and it was without a doubt the best experience of my life and I went to India!

Honestly, your passport has to be in date and they will check it. The only way around it is to get a formal letter from the Sri Lankan embassy saying that they will accept your passport. But obviously you really need to emphasise your situation and also mention that you're volunteering in their country - that might help bolster your chances.

Or yes you could go back to the UK. Perhaps you have a family member there? Send it to them on the fastest mail service and get them to process it fast track and then get them to send it on the fastest service back.

If you are unable to go on your expedition, despite the T&Cs if you notify world challenge about the extradordinary issue they may refund your expedition if you are still unable to get it. That happened to my friend because his visa for India was denied.
Original post by jamestg
You're going to love world challenge. I went on it last year and it was without a doubt the best experience of my life and I went to India!

Honestly, your passport has to be in date and they will check it. The only way around it is to get a formal letter from the Sri Lankan embassy saying that they will accept your passport. But obviously you really need to emphasise your situation and also mention that you're volunteering in their country - that might help bolster your chances.

Or yes you could go back to the UK. Perhaps you have a family member there? Send it to them on the fastest mail service and get them to process it fast track and then get them to send it on the fastest service back.

If you are unable to go on your expedition, despite the T&Cs if you notify world challenge about the extradordinary issue they may refund your expedition if you are still unable to get it. That happened to my friend because his visa for India was denied.

Thanks for this, it's helped immensely. We were originally going to go to Nepal but after the earthquake happened ( )-: ) we had to change destinations. Sri Lanka sounds just as amazing and just as beautiful, however, and I genuinely can't wait. I'm glad you had such a great time (:

Thanks for the advice; now thinking about the risks etc I think I'll completely abandon the lying on visa idea. it might cost a bit of extra money and time to go through renewing in the UK but it'd be worth it.

Don't even want to think of not being able to go but thanks for the information, that'll be reassuring to my parents (-:
Just out of curiosity, why was your friend's visa rejected?
Reply 6
Thanks for this, it's helped immensely. We were originally going to go to Nepal but after the earthquake happened ( )-: ) we had to change destinations. Sri Lanka sounds just as amazing and just as beautiful, however, and I genuinely can't wait. I'm glad you had such a great time (:

Thanks for the advice; now thinking about the risks etc I think I'll completely abandon the lying on visa idea. it might cost a bit of extra money and time to go through renewing in the UK but it'd be worth it.

Don't even want to think of not being able to go but thanks for the information, that'll be reassuring to my parents (-:
Just out of curiosity, why was your friend's visa rejected?

No problem!

His visa was rejected because of his origin, if you're related to Indian emigrants they don't really want you to go back to India and he is also related to Pakistani emigrants and has Pakistani origin and the feud between India and Pakistan is still strong. Essentially he had the worst combination for applying for a visa to India and when he applied he didn't realise it would be that bad.
Original post by jamestg
No problem!

His visa was rejected because of his origin, if you're related to Indian emigrants they don't really want you to go back to India and he is also related to Pakistani emigrants and has Pakistani origin and the feud between India and Pakistan is still strong. Essentially he had the worst combination for applying for a visa to India and when he applied he didn't realise it would be that bad.

oh **** that's sad

Didn't think countries could reject on the basis of family background; truly unfair.
Reply 8
oh **** that's sad

Didn't think countries could reject on the basis of family background; truly unfair.

It really is...

The processing times are at least 3 times longer for those from those backgrounds than when I did it...

Have fun in Sri Lanka!!
Original post by jamestg
It really is...

The processing times are at least 3 times longer for those from those backgrounds than when I did it...

Have fun in Sri Lanka!!

Thanks for the help again and I'm sure I will :h:
Thanks for the help again and I'm sure I will :h:

No problem!

If you have any other questions about world challenge in general or want any tips for the expedition, just message me! :h:
Silai you coulda asked me instead of going on the student room :biggrin:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Silai can't come to the phone right now, she's used up the one call you're allowed to make in jail :redface:

you don't understand she's one of my close friends man

Quick Reply

Latest