The Student Room Group

Jobs for a 15 year old?

I heard that chain stores aren't allowed to employ anyone under the age of 16, is this true?
If it is, where's the best place to get employed (part time/weekends) if you're 15? I'm born in August (just turned 15), so obviously a lot of people in my year will be more eligible to work in bigger shops etc. before me, which is really annoying, so does anyone have an idea on where they'd be happy to employ a 15 year old?
try local shops, pubs, restaurants but it will be difficult.

when you finish school in june it will be easy tho however and chain stores can employ you when you've left school because you're of school leaving age and turning 16 soon, so you will be able to get a summer job anywhere
I've applied for around 50 jobs (and I've looked at about 10000000000) and handed my CV in everywhere. Still no luck after months and months of searching. I think the best thing is to find people you know that work places and get in that way otherwise you get turned away everywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
my birthday is 29th august so had the same problem as you in year 11, but i held of getting a job during the school year but started applying around exam time, and i got offers from morrisons, tesco and schuh to work during the summer and i was employed as a 16 year old. i found it pretty easy to find a job then, mainly because i think firms like 16 year olds to employ because they're cheap
Original post by kate37
I heard that chain stores aren't allowed to employ anyone under the age of 16, is this true?
If it is, where's the best place to get employed (part time/weekends) if you're 15? I'm born in August (just turned 15), so obviously a lot of people in my year will be more eligible to work in bigger shops etc. before me, which is really annoying, so does anyone have an idea on where they'd be happy to employ a 15 year old?

I'm in the same boat!
A pain in the neck, yet we have to deal with it....
An idea ,
1)- Family friends that own shops
2)- Volunteer shop assistant/ charity/help a neighbour ( gardening / painting)
3)- Done now, hehehe, frustrated at how limited opportunities are for us....grrrr, hope we won't have too long to wait!!:biggrin:
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
I've applied for around 50 jobs (and I've looked at about 10000000000) and handed my CV in everywhere. Still no luck after months and months of searching. I think the best thing is to find people you know that work places and get in that way otherwise you get turned away everywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I'm 16 going into year 12 btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
i applied to 65 jobs (btw im being serious)
still havnt made it to any interview stages
now that my sixth form has started i am now going to wait till im 18

not many companies employ people that are under 18 as they know you would most likely quit the job once you have exams e.c.t
i suggest you wait till you are 18 to apply for a job
As you mention the law means you have to be 16 years old to sign a contract of employment, there is no special conditions for those born in September or in August.

Most obvious is a paper round, which is great for year 11 and looks good on your cv and will give you an edge when applying for Tesco when you are 16.

I would embrace technology and trade on ebay so take a hobby or something that you know about and buy and re-sell, and on a Saturday you can go down to the post office and send it all off. Just because it isn't massive doesn't mean it's not valuable like antiques and stamps and things like computer games etc..

I know that people born in September can work during year 11 but I would recommend starting 15 hours in September 2016 when you are in sixth-form or college.
Reply 8
Original post by angryjobseeker
You are lucky that your parents allow you to work at that age, my parents certainly wouldn't have. Unless they have connections though I can't see it being a possibility, what with so many people of normal working age out of work. I must admit it does make me slightly jealous when I read threads like this, but you are thinking ahead and should be commended for that. In my experience finding a job will take at least a couple of years, so if you start now you might be able to get one by the time you are 17/18.

In your experience?
Reply 9
How do people not understand for a job in any shop/bar/restaurant or whatever you need a national insurance number which you get a month or two before you turn 16 at the very earliest..
Only job you could realistically be considered for is a paper round, or maybe if you had like a family friend with a cafe or something who'd bump you some money for serving tea but it wont be any sort of contract

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachel6914
try local shops, pubs, restaurants but it will be difficult.

when you finish school in june it will be easy tho however and chain stores can employ you when you've left school because you're of school leaving age and turning 16 soon, so you will be able to get a summer job anywhere

This is true.
Once you finish school in june pretty much everywhere will employ you as you will be school leaving age.
In the meantime, try local restaurants/cafes etc to do waitressing. They are the places most likely to take you on out of everywhere at your age. Small shops (i.e. not chain ones. Places like corner shops etc) might do.
Or how about a paper round.
Original post by c_k62
How do people not understand for a job in any shop/bar/restaurant or whatever you need a national insurance number which you get a month or two before you turn 16 at the very earliest..
Only job you could realistically be considered for is a paper round, or maybe if you had like a family friend with a cafe or something who'd bump you some money for serving tea but it wont be any sort of contract

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some restaurants take on under 16's.
I know of a few people who did waitressing from age 14 onwards.
Original post by Emma:-)
This is true.
Once you finish school in june pretty much everywhere will employ you as you will be school leaving age.
In the meantime, try local restaurants/cafes etc to do waitressing. They are the places most likely to take you on out of everywhere at your age. Small shops (i.e. not chain ones. Places like corner shops etc) might do.
Or how about a paper round.

No where hires 16 year olds- they have to just say they 'consider' you because of age discrimination. Honestly I've met some real dumb people that got the job over me because they are older.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's honestly just better waiting until you're 16. Not least because you'll be working with a high amount of people a lot older than you. I started working just before I turned 17, and it was incredibly intimidating feeling much younger than everyone I worked with.
Reply 14
Original post by Emma:-)
Some restaurants take on under 16's.
I know of a few people who did waitressing from age 14 onwards.

And i covered that in my last paragraph... they will have either been family/friends, will have had no contract and extremely underpaid, no respectable company would hire anyone under 16, at a push they would for a family member but even then unlikely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending