The Student Room Group

A Level Law - should I apply to LSE? Please help!

Hi,

So I know LSE isn't a fan of A Level law. I'm predicted A*A*A* in History, Politcs and Law and I'm wondering that since LSE consider history and politics to be facilitating subjects, should I still apply? Or do you think that LSE just rejects anyone with A level law. I got AAAA in my AS results and my GCSEs are A*A*A*A*AAAB. I have a strong personal statement and reference. But would all that still not be enough? Has anyone who has done law at A level got into LSE for law?

Thank you
Original post by JH018
Hi,

So I know LSE isn't a fan of A Level law. I'm predicted A*A*A* in History, Politcs and Law and I'm wondering that since LSE consider history and politics to be facilitating subjects, should I still apply? Or do you think that LSE just rejects anyone with A level law. I got AAAA in my AS results and my GCSEs are A*A*A*A*AAAB. I have a strong personal statement and reference. But would all that still not be enough? Has anyone who has done law at A level got into LSE for law?

Thank you

Although LSE do say "Note that Law is a non-preferred subject and should be offered alongside two traditional subjects", I think you'll be fine.

The best course of action might be to email LSE and ask their admissions office directly if Politics/History are seen as "traditional" subjects, just to make sure.
Reply 2
If you actually get those grades, then I wouldn't be settling for LSE, to be honest. That, however, is only my view.

But if you do, they don't mind. I know somebody who's studying there who took A-level Law and got A*AA. You've nothing to worry about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by AGT95
If you actually get those grades, then I wouldn't be settling for LSE, to be honest. That, however, is only my view.

But if you do, they don't mind. I know somebody who's studying there who took A-level Law and got A*AA. You've nothing to worry about!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! What do you mean by settling? Isn't LSE meant to be great for law? That's great your friend got in I just wasn't sure because my teacher said they hate law at A level and on their website it is non-preferred. Just don't want to waste one of my options!
Reply 4
Original post by JH018
Thanks so much! What do you mean by settling? Isn't LSE meant to be great for law? That's great your friend got in I just wasn't sure because my teacher said they hate law at A level and on their website it is non-preferred. Just don't want to waste one of my options!

Well if it is highly probably that you're going to get 3 A*s, then you should be aiming nowhere but Oxbridge. LSE is great for law, but Oxbridge is a lot better. But it comes down to preference at the end of the day.

They don't "hate" law, so your teacher needs to rethink his/her words. It's "non-preferred", that isn't to say that they will refuse exemplary candidates! And 3 A*s is exemplary, so all doors are open.
Original post by AGT95
Well if it is highly probably that you're going to get 3 A*s, then you should be aiming nowhere but Oxbridge. LSE is great for law, but Oxbridge is a lot better. But it comes down to preference at the end of the day.

Better, sure, but I'm not convinced Oxbridge are "a lot better" for law (and I say this as someone who studies Law at Cambridge).

I imagine the differences in A level results between law students at LSE and those at Oxbridge are minimal; they are all brilliant places to study Law.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by AGT95

They don't "hate" law, so your teacher needs to rethink his/her words. It's "non-preferred", that isn't to say that they will refuse exemplary candidates! And 3 A*s is exemplary, so all doors are open.

Thanks so much :smile: it'd be great to apply to Oxford and just see if I've got a shot! LSE looks like a great place for law so if I could manage to get in that would be brilliant :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Better, sure, but I'm not convinced Oxbridge are "a lot better" for law (and I say this as someone who studies Law at Cambridge).

I imagine the differences in A level results between law students at LSE and those at Oxbridge are minimal; they are all brilliant places to study Law.

I understand yeah, would be good to get in either university :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Law-Hopeful

I'm sorry, but at lower universities, the prospect of having tutorials whereby three students have one outstanding academic most weeks is literally a dream. So if you use them to their utmost potential, then I think it could very much be deemed as a lot better. But it's subjective I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending