The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Chances on getting into Imperial?

Right now my current aim is to get into UCL which is a high possibility. Since I have 4 other choices at what Uni to apply to I'm thinking I'll apply to ICL based on the chance that I do really well (which I'm going to work my butt off for :P) in A2.

I don't know much about Imperial but I have heard they ask for UMS grades just like Cambridge do. So far my grades at AS are AAB, with a 95% in Maths and a 85% in Physics. The B was in Chemistry and was only because I got a C in one of my exams which I am retaking.

Is it worth applying to ICL or do I not stand a chance?
Well if you're likely to get into UCL then you're more than likely to get into other universities with the exeption of oxbridge and imperial. Since thats the case then you may as well take a shot at imperial. What course are you thinking of?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Lucasium
Well if you're likely to get into UCL then you're more than likely to get into other universities with the exeption of oxbridge and imperial. Since thats the case then you may as well take a shot at imperial. What course are you thinking of?

Degrees around Physics, unsure whether Medicinal, Theoretical or just straight Physics though. My predicted grades are likely going to be A*AB which will obviously greatly hinder my application.

Also, I picked up Further Maths AS this year :P
Original post by calcumm
Right now my current aim is to get into UCL which is a high possibility. Since I have 4 other choices at what Uni to apply to I'm thinking I'll apply to ICL based on the chance that I do really well (which I'm going to work my butt off for :P) in A2.

I don't know much about Imperial but I have heard they ask for UMS grades just like Cambridge do. So far my grades at AS are AAB, with a 95% in Maths and a 85% in Physics. The B was in Chemistry and was only because I got a C in one of my exams which I am retaking.

Is it worth applying to ICL or do I not stand a chance?

Imperial doesn't see your UMS unless you decide to give it to them.
Original post by calcumm
Degrees around Physics, unsure whether Medicinal, Theoretical or just straight Physics though. My predicted grades are likely going to be A*AB which will obviously greatly hinder my application.

Also, I picked up Further Maths AS this year :P

Thats always good but many applicants will be doing the full A level in maths. Last year ICL gave 27% of applicants to straight bsc physics offers and 42% of those applying to msc recieved offers
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase

Thanks for clearing that up ! Do you think it's worth applying even though I have the B in Chem ?

Original post by Lucasium
Thats always good but many applicants will be doing the full A level in maths. Last year ICL gave 27% of applicants to straight bsc physics offers and 42% of those applying to msc recieved offers

Thanks for the statistics !
Original post by calcumm
Thanks for clearing that up ! Do you think it's worth applying even though I have the B in Chem ?

It's probably worth a shot because your grades are still good and you'll probably get plenty of other offers if Imperial goes wrong but do bear in mind that Physics entry has the third highest average UCAS tariff of any course at Imperial so entry is competitive.
Reply 7
It's probably worth a shot because your grades are still good and you'll probably get plenty of other offers if Imperial goes wrong but do bear in mind that Physics entry has the third highest average UCAS tariff of any course at Imperial so entry is competitive.

Hi, I've just got my predicted grades back and they're A*A*A. That means I should give it a shot, right?

Actually, they do ask for UMS in a few subjects, most notably Physics. My friend was asked her UMS two years ago.
Original post by calcumm
Hi, I've just got my predicted grades back and they're A*A*A. That means I should give it a shot, right?

Definitely have a vaguely realistic but ambitious choice so yeah.

Also no one calls it ICL; if anything it's called IC. :wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by calcumm

Sure. Predicted grades aren't everything so I can't promise you'll get an offer but you've definitely got a chance.

Original post by yl95
Actually, they do ask for UMS in a few subjects, most notably Physics. My friend was asked her UMS two years ago.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thank you, I didn't know that. It doesn't say that anywhere on their website though. Do you know if that's standard procedure or if that was just for your friend?
Sure. Predicted grades aren't everything so I can't promise you'll get an offer but you've definitely got a chance.

Oh thank you, I didn't know that. It doesn't say that anywhere on their website though. Do you know if that's standard procedure or if that was just for your friend?

No problem. :smile: Definitely it's standard for Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got awful grades at ALevels. I'm starting at Imperial in October :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Ninja_R
I got awful grades at ALevels. I'm starting at Imperial in October :wink:

What course and what were your grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending