The Student Room Group

How does a shy uni girl get her crush to ask her out?

I'm a shy and inexperienced girl and I need advice on how to get my crush to ask me out on a date :smile:

To give you some background he actually asked to see me before we broke up for the summer holidays after exams but because I'm so oblivious to male attention I didn't really realise and just laughed what he was saying off and told him if he wanted to contact me he should do so through mutual friends (rather than me giving him my number, doh!). I didn't realise at the time but he was actually always sitting near me, chatting with me, giving me hugs etc. but because I've never been around guys much I didn't know what it meant.

Can I redeem this? I'd really like to get to know him alone outside of the group setting. I know it's probably my turn to bite the bullet now but I'm scared he would have moved on over the summer.

What should I do?
How can I give him my number now without seeming forward? I'm kicking myself that I had my chance and blew it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you ask them. PEOPLE AREN'T ****ING MIND READERS
omg op just ask him it's pretty obvious he likes you lol. You get his number. Then text him to go out with you somewhere. Being forward often works really well. I know it would for me. I get bored of people real fast if they don't open up soon enough to me and shy people never do because they are so reserved. I won't chase people, it's a waste of my time. But if someone comes on to me, I'll start talking to them a lot and generally things happen faster so it goes on a lot better!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Ask him. Jeeeez.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a shy and inexperienced girl and I need advice on how to get my crush to ask me out on a date :smile:

To give you some background he actually asked to see me before we broke up for the summer holidays after exams but because I'm so oblivious to male attention I didn't really realise and just laughed what he was saying off and told him if he wanted to contact me he should do so through mutual friends (rather than me giving him my number, doh!). I didn't realise at the time but he was actually always sitting near me, chatting with me, giving me hugs etc. but because I've never been around guys much I didn't know what it meant.

Can I redeem this? I'd really like to get to know him alone outside of the group setting. I know it's probably my turn to bite the bullet now but I'm scared he would have moved on over the summer.

What should I do?
How can I give him my number now without seeming forward? I'm kicking myself that I had my chance and blew it!

Yeah; you rejected him. Time to be 'forward'.
Reply 5
Original post by Flather
you ask them. PEOPLE AREN'T ****ING MIND READERS

You're right. How can I ask him without seeming too forward or making a fool of myself. I'm as inexperienced as it get a kissless virgin, who has never had a date, boyfriend or any close male friends before I went to an all girls school and I was very shy.
if you're not going to accept the "ask him" advice then you're a lost cause - you know what to do, you just want an easier time getting the result you want. either you can get the result (at least I hope for you) the hard way, or you can potentially get no good result at all. guys and girls can *both* be shy - don't assume men are always going to be fearless.
Reply 7
Original post by zippity.doodah
if you're not going to accept the "ask him" advice then you're a lost cause - you know what to do, you just want an easier time getting the result you want. either you can get the result (at least I hope for you) the hard way, or you can potentially get no good result at all. guys and girls can *both* be shy - don't assume men are always going to be fearless.

Least of all after being rejected.
Reply 8
Original post by Profesh
Yeah; you rejected him. Time to be 'forward'.

I know I'm a fool :s-smilie: Should I be honest and say sorry... Can we do this again?

Argh, I'm so clueless
Reply 9
Original post by Profesh
Least of all after being rejected.

I know I feel so bad :facepalm:I have to make this up to him!
I know I feel so bad :facepalm:I have to make this up to him!

Ask him out. DO IT.
Original post by slytherin snake
omg op just ask him it's pretty obvious he likes you lol. You get his number. Then text him to go out with you somewhere. Being forward often works really well. I know it would for me. I get bored of people real fast if they don't open up soon enough to me and shy people never do because they are so reserved. I won't chase people, it's a waste of my time. But if someone comes on to me, I'll start talking to them a lot and generally things happen faster so it goes on a lot better!

I know I hate been shy makes everything so difficult. I don't think it's just that I'm shy I totally missed all his queues at the time. Let's hope he will forgive me! Yes I need to just go for it get what I want now :smile:)))
I know I hate been shy makes everything so difficult. I don't think it's just that I'm shy I totally missed all his queues at the time. Let's hope he will forgive me! Yes I need to just go for it get what I want now :smile:)))

Yeah! Do it. I was like the male version of you. Damn I was so oblivious in sixth form to this girl coming onto me. she would fiddle with her hair all the time. Smile non-stop around me, hug me for no reason, talk higher pitched around me. Always try to make conversation with me even when it was awkward to do so lol. I wish i had pursued that relationship but... I was a little bit focused on studies and just totally oblivious. Regret it so much now. Definitely definitely just ask him. It is very unlikely in your case to go poorly and you need experience with this thing anyway so you don't miss out on future opportunities. I'm sure it will go well!
Original post by zippity.doodah

No you are right he already took the risk so the next step is up to me now!! It's not going to be easy and I might look like an idiot but it's the least I can do...
Reply 14
Uhm ask him for a dick pic on snapchat??????
Baaaaaasically, if your mates then ask to hang out, if you're not go to yahoo answers because only on that site can people mind read.
Lmfao i've never seen a success story come from this approach to guys.

My advice: It will never happen unless you shake off the shyness and go and talk to him....that being said i know you won't do it
No you are right he already took the risk so the next step is up to me now!! It's not going to be easy and I might look like an idiot but it's the least I can do...

yeah, you only live once, right? there is a girl at my uni who rejected me, then I sort of rejected her, and now I'm thinking that was a mistake so maybe I'll go back and repair the damage *I* have made, for example.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Ask him out. DO IT.

lol
Original post by Jkoo22
Uhm ask him for a dick pic on snapchat??????

I didn't give him my number yet!
Press Start to get to the main selection screen, then press R, Up, Right, L, X, Y, Y.
You will get £300 straight to your bank account and he will ask you out right away :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending