The Student Room Group

How hard is A level Physics

I've just finished GCSE and I am thinking of choosing Physics,Computer science and ICT for A levels however I keep on hearing that Physics is extremely difficult and that even people who got A's in GCSE got B's and C's so I am wondering is it very difficult and would I be capable.

I Got a B at GCSE Physics (B in Unit 1 and A in Unit 2) I was quite disappointed and surprised I feel as though I should have got an A but when I consider the result it represents my level at physics, so should I bother myself with A level physics.
ICT A-level is a waste of time, its not that respected.
It's not hard at all. Just a little revision and you will be fine :smile: It was probably one of my easiest choices out of all science n math
Original post by 
It's not hard at all. Just a little revision and you will be fine :smile: It was probably one of my easiest choices out of all science n math

This.
Reply 4
Original post by TunaTunnel
ICT A-level is a waste of time, its not that respected.
why is it a waste of time
Original post by tbator

I sat in the classes, from what I saw you just end up filling excel spreadsheets and creating emails. If you want something that would be useful you're better off sticking to A-level maths/physics ect and working hard.
To be honest it depends on the person, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. If you're a logical thinker, like number work and genuinely enjoy Physics then go for it. Personally, I hated Physics and wished I dropped it from the beginning of the year. I managed an A in it through shear hard work - I probably worked harder in Physics than my other 3 combined xD.
Though the majority of my class (on average grade B/A/A* students) got D's. So yeah, it's really up to you and your strengths.

Hope this helps slightly xD
Hey so physics A level is quite challenging but personally I don't think GCSE is much of a representation. Firstly because it entirely depends upon you. The physics A level (in my opinion) has far more interesting topics than GCSE, which leads to more willingness to immerse yourself in it. Secondly, mathematical ability is important, so if you're thinking of taking it without maths you might want to think that through carefully, and consider a module of mechanics perhaps. Every person is different, and every person reacts differently and studies differently, so there's no definitive answer to 'should I take this', but if you're willing to study diligently, consistently, physics is an excellent subject and opens up a lot of opportunities as well as giving you a certain perspective on the world around you. (Unless of course you hate maths. Then it's probably a bad idea) I suggest talking to your potential physics teacher, and perhaps talking about possible support if you find yourself struggling. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by tbator

Its not the most challenging subject and isnt very respected, however as a third A level it isnt too bad, IT skills are always useful

Are you looking to do Computer Science at uni by any chance?
Reply 9
Original post by yt7777
Its not the most challenging subject and isnt very respected, however as a third A level it isnt too bad, IT skills are always useful

Are you looking to do Computer Science at uni by any chance?

yeah I want to do computer science at A level
Reply 10
Original post by tbator
yeah I want to do computer science at A level

I meant for degree when you finish
I'm doing Computer Science as well. I'm also doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
Reply 12
Original post by yt7777
I meant for degree when you finish

oh yeah thats what I want to do
Reply 13
Original post by tbator
oh yeah thats what I want to do

Well then i would say your choices are okay, however top universities will want to see maths,

ICT isnt really that relevant to computer science, however, there may be a bit of crossover with some things, but also it isnt hard to get a good grade in, so as a third A level it could be quite useful as you will have a decent chance of getting a high grade and also it demonstrates your interest in the subject.

But if you are decent at maths i would suggest you take it as some universities do require it, usually this is the top 10 or 15
don't listen to some of the above who describe it to require 'little revision'. These are the people who will have found it easy and will give you a wrong impression. the majority will have found it hard. me personally i found it solid and i got an a* at gcse. I feel that if you enjoy it, sure take it but if u got B at gcse, be prepared to work hard. revise from the very start of the year, don't neglect it, good luck
Reply 15
Original post by longsightdon
don't listen to some of the above who describe it to require 'little revision'. These are the people who will have found it easy and will give you a wrong impression. the majority will have found it hard. me personally i found it solid and i got an a* at gcse. I feel that if you enjoy it, sure take it but if u got B at gcse, be prepared to work hard. revise from the very start of the year, don't neglect it, good luck

thanks, I really do enjoy Physics and I am willing to work very hard.
Original post by tbator
I've just finished GCSE and I am thinking of choosing Physics,Computer science and ICT for A levels however I keep on hearing that Physics is extremely difficult and that even people who got A's in GCSE got B's and C's so I am wondering is it very difficult and would I be capable.

I Got a B at GCSE Physics (B in Unit 1 and A in Unit 2) I was quite disappointed and surprised I feel as though I should have got an A but when I consider the result it represents my level at physics, so should I bother myself with A level physics.

I personally believe anyone is capable, but they have to work smart. It isn't about memorisation anymore. It's maybe 20% memory, 40% exam technique and 40% understanding (so that you can answer any question thrown at you about something).

I got an A* at gcse and an A at AS, and I'm part of the way through the A2 content. However, I found physics to be the hardest conceptually, because some things you learn are quite non-intuitive and therefore harder to understand.

You have to have perseverance and determination if you want to do A level physics. If you're unsure, maybe you shouldn't take it. If you know you'll work your butt off to do well, then by all means go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest