The Student Room Group

Self teaching general studies

Hi, my school does compulsory AQA General Studies and Critical Thinking for AS level.
This would have been taught in a double lesson per week, but this year the Further Maths people aren't timetabled for it.
However we still have to take the exam at the end of the year.
I don't mind independant study, but don't know where to start at all.
Should I aim to be doing a couple of hours a week? How do I know I'm doing enough in time for the exam? Any general advice on learning/revising/self teaching.

My other subject choices are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics.
Edit: I have plently (7x 40min) free periods.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eskimomo
Hi, my school does compulsory AQA General Studies and Critical Thinking for AS level.
This would have been taught in a double lesson per week, but this year the Further Maths people aren't timetabled for it.
However we still have to take the exam at the end of the year.
I don't mind independant study, but don't know where to start at all.
Should I aim to be doing a couple of hours a week? How do I know I'm doing enough in time for the exam? Any general advice on learning/revising/self teaching.

My other subject choices are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics.
Edit: I have plently (7x 40min) free periods.

This should be pretty good practice for Uni, where you'll be studying independently quite a bit :smile: In terms of how much to study per week, you could do 3-4 hours per week (more or less equivalent to a double lesson + the time you would have been doing homework/revision for it).

If you do this for the first couple of weeks, you could then see how much of the material you've managed to cover (properly) in that time, and you will therefore be able to see if you'll have finished the textbook/materials by the time of the exam if you keep at the same rate. If not, adjust accordingly. If you'll have finished early, that's good as it'll give you extra revision time. If you'll have finished just in time for the exam, maybe pick up the pace for a few weeks at some point to give yourself some extra time. You can also check where those that are taking the classes have gotten to, as this will also give you a rough idea of how well you're doing (it's ok to be working faster than them, as they're a whole class, whilst you're a single person learning at their own pace). Also check with them from time to time whether their teacher has given them any extra materials which you don't have, and if so, try to get a copy.

In terms of where to start, go through the textbook in a logical manner, such as do x number of chapters in a session, for example.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending