The Student Room Group

How does a shy uni girl get her crush to ask her out?

Scroll to see replies

Give him the 'come hither' look :sexface:

....or just ask him, he'll appreciate it.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Just consider what kind of guy he is. If he was like me and I saw you approach me wearing a ton of make-up and an open Item of clothing, then alarm bells will be ringing. I'd just judge you as being a little bit promiscuous from first impressions.

Just think about that.

He's quite sociable, mature and smart but I don't think he has dated yet like myself so I doubt he would want an absolute vixen or femme fatale but I might be wrong. Even if he did I could never be that anyway! I already told him (and his friends as part of a group convo) that I've never been with anyone even though I'm in my 20s as I like to wait for someone special. To be honest with you I do wear a fair bit of makeup (but I'm very good at applying it so it looks natural) so I will think about that too.
Original post by Anonymous
He's quite sociable, mature and smart but I don't think he has dated yet like myself so I doubt he would want an absolute vixen or femme fatale but I might be wrong. Even if he did I could never be that anyway! I already told him (and his friends as part of a group convo) that I've never been with anyone even though I'm in my 20s as I like to wait for someone special. To be honest with you I do wear a fair bit of makeup (but I'm very good at applying it so it looks natural) so I will think about that too.

Hmmm. But then, what kind of person are you? Have you anything in common with him?
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Give him the 'come hither' look :sexface:

....or just ask him, he'll appreciate it.

I feel really sad confessing this but I've practised that in the mirror and I'm brilliant at it my piercing blue eyes do help. However in practise I can never do it haha!

I suppose I better just smile and ask :smile:
I feel really sad confessing this but I've practised that in the mirror and I'm brilliant at it my piercing blue eyes do help. However in practise I can never do it haha!

I suppose I better just smile and ask :smile:

Nah it's cool practising. I practice in the mirror all the time and end up fancying being confident in myself.

Good plan, smile cos I bet ya have a beautiful one and get in a convo with him to ease your way into his heart.
Personally, just saying, when women employ such aforementioned tactics it makes me feel uneasy.

Play fair, give it time, have normal conversations, take things one step at a time and time will do the rest. I just think that's the best approach for both sexes.
Hmmm. But then, what kind of person are you? Have you anything in common with him?

Well we are both regulars and now committee members of a volunteering group at uni and meet at least weekly in the evenings and go to the bar afterwards there are often weekday events, and weekends away in different cities to do work out there so obviously we have that in common. I could do to be more comfortable socially as I've said before I'm shy but I'm making an huge effort to get out there by getting involved in campus, but I would say I'm kind, giving and resilient (I had to overcome a lot of illness when I was younger) :smile:
Personally, just saying, when women employ such aforementioned tactics it makes me feel uneasy.

Play fair, give it time, have normal conversations, take things one step at a time and time will do the rest. I just think that's the best approach for both sexes.

I understand what you mean I don't want to sound scripted or insincere. Perhaps just being in the moment and genuine is best sometimes :smile:
Ooo I hope it works out for you both now! If you don't mind me asking why did you reject her? Did you not little the idea of her running back to you or something? In my case it was an accident rejection but he doesn't know that of course but I'm scared he will be mad now if I try and make my move and think that I'm messing him about!

well to be honest, I "accidentally rejected" this girl too - she asked me if I liked her kind of as a joke one night (drinks had been drank) and I predictably responded "what? no! hahahahhh". then months later I was like "actually I do, I can't deal with pretending not to any more". then she was like "I've got a boyfriend now, like, within the last few days". then stuff happened between us and I implied that we shouldn't see each other in that way any more, and I said that because I didn't want to be humiliated if *she* rejected me. she's not with him any more, so I may ask her out again in some way shape or form but oh well I'll see what happens. from the way I see it, just like your situation, it's a matter of "I might as well - if they say no, then that's literally the worst that can happen from it, and the best thing that can happen is happiness"
You're right. How can I ask him without seeming too forward or making a fool of myself. I'm as inexperienced as it get a kissless virgin, who has never had a date, boyfriend or any close male friends before I went to an all girls school and I was very shy.

It sounds like he tried to ask you out and you subtly made it obvious you are not interested. That is what he will see.

You already know he likes you so just ask him outright. It couldn't be easier.
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Nah it's cool practising. I practice in the mirror all the time and end up fancying being confident in myself.

Good plan, smile cos I bet ya have a beautiful one and get in a convo with him to ease your way into his heart.

Yeah after all my mirror practising I should be beating guys off with a stick every time I walk into a room by now :h:

But yes hopefully my smile can win him back :biggrin:
Well, all the best to you anyway.
I'm a shy and inexperienced girl and I need advice on how to get my crush to ask me out on a date :smile:

To give you some background he actually asked to see me before we broke up for the summer holidays after exams but because I'm so oblivious to male attention I didn't really realise and just laughed what he was saying off and told him if he wanted to contact me he should do so through mutual friends (rather than me giving him my number, doh!). I didn't realise at the time but he was actually always sitting near me, chatting with me, giving me hugs etc. but because I've never been around guys much I didn't know what it meant.

Can I redeem this? I'd really like to get to know him alone outside of the group setting. I know it's probably my turn to bite the bullet now but I'm scared he would have moved on over the summer.

What should I do?
How can I give him my number now without seeming forward? I'm kicking myself that I had my chance and blew it!

He doesn't have your number??
How long have you known him for??

I saw that you don't have male best friends, didn't you even try to have one during Uni?

Anyway best bet is to ask him. If you are feeling shy do it online.
Original post by zippity.doodah
well to be honest, I "accidentally rejected" this girl too - she asked me if I liked her kind of as a joke one night (drinks had been drank) and I predictably responded "what? no! hahahahhh". then months later I was like "actually I do, I can't deal with pretending not to any more". then she was like "I've got a boyfriend now, like, within the last few days". then stuff happened between us and I implied that we shouldn't see each other in that way any more, and I said that because I didn't want to be humiliated if *she* rejected me. she's not with him any more, so I may ask her out again in some way shape or form but oh well I'll see what happens. from the way I see it, just like your situation, it's a matter of "I might as well - if they say no, then that's literally the worst that can happen from it, and the best thing that can happen is happiness"

Ahh I can imagine that drinks make it tougher as well to suss out if the person is being genuine or not. Being put on the spot when drunk is a toughy (and kind of unfair in my opinion!). I like your attitude though just see what happens it's either a yes or a no at the end of the day :smile:
Well, all the best to you anyway.

Thank you :h:
Original post by freedom
He doesn't have your number??
How long have you known him for??

I saw that you don't have male best friends, didn't you even try to have one during Uni?

Anyway best bet is to ask him. If you are feeling shy do it online.

No I explained it somewhere above I declined when he asked me because I was a bit taken aback I think. I've known him since about December last year.

I'm at uni now. I have male friends but none that I'm really close to.

Yeah I'm going to ask him but I would prefer to do it face to face believe it or not, or even over the phone, just not by messaging/texting.
Original post by SeanFM
In this situation he seems like a really lucky guy. :K:

If you don't want to be fairly obvious (though guys can be oblivious at times) maybe wait until you see him again, talk to him a few times, then ask for his number and keep going until he asks you out or vice versa.

Aww thank you :smile: Yes I'm definitely going to talk to him normally a bit first. We see each other quite regularly so that shouldn't be a problem.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It sounds like he tried to ask you out and you subtly made it obvious you are not interested. That is what he will see.

You already know he likes you so just ask him outright. It couldn't be easier.

Yes indeed he did. I know that he likes me I just hope it won't be too late! If it is then that's my fault I guess and I will have to deal with the consequences.
Reply 58
Propose to him during graduation.
Maybe he's gay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending