The Student Room Group

gained 8 pounds in one day?!?

Ok, so my normal weight is 10 stone 12 and i am 5 ft 8 so its a normal weight for my size. and i have been on holiday all last week. weighed myself this morning, 11 stone, i thought thats fine i can lose that. for tea i had fish and chips with curry sauce (couldnt resist my cravings) and ate almost all of it. i got on the scales almost straight away and it said i was 11 st 4. I thought its just probably water weight (even though it shocked me). Then i got on again because i started to feel anxious, and it said i was 11 stone 8!!! i still fit into all my clothes that i wore before holiday exactly the same...
Can anybody put my mind at rest?! am i going to wake up tomorrow and be back down to 11 stone? are my scales playing up? (they went from 11 st 4 to 11 st 8 within 5 mins, also they are old and sometimes tell me i weigh 18 stone which is impossible for someone who wears size 10/12 UK size)
Water retention from high salt intake, simple as that :wink:
Water weight, poop, dodgey scales could all contribute. You won't have put on that much weight from a normal size fish and chips meal. Weigh yourself in the morning and it should be fine!:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
Water retention from high salt intake, simple as that :wink:

Yeah, but 8 pounds!? That's a lot. Like, ridiculous.
Reply 4
Your scales are obviously wrong. Unless you had a monstrous portion of fish and chips enough to feed a family of 8.
Weighing yourself after food is never good xD the weight of the food in your stomach counts towards the scales :smile:
Original post by FireGarden
Yeah, but 8 pounds!? That's a lot. Like, ridiculous.

Just read the in a day part, I assumed a week lol :colondollar: That is pretty extreme so I'd say your scales are a bit temperamental, are they electric by any chance? I can lose of gain 10lbs in a minute by moving it to a different surface. But yeah, either way, if you did gain or lose any weight very quickly, it's always gonna be water, just for future reference.
Reply 7
thanks for your replies! fingers crossed i will wake up in the morning back at 11 st, or even better back to 10 st 12!! I can now sleep easy! :-)
@WoodyMKC When is the best time to way yourself? and when is the best time to do psuhups/situps/starjumps?
Original post by scrawlx101
@WoodyMKC When is the best time to way yourself? and when is the best time to do psuhups/situps/starjumps?

Same day every week first thing in the morning if you have a weight gain or loss goal in mind. No point in weighing every day as you'll often fluctuate an lb or two in weight between days depending on what you've eaten and done.
As for the exercises, just when it suits you best really, I don't believe in there being a one-size-fits-all best time to work out.
Reply 10
Original post by WoodyMKC
Just read the in a day part, I assumed a week lol :colondollar: That is pretty extreme so I'd say your scales are a bit temperamental, are they electric by any chance? I can lose of gain 10lbs in a minute by moving it to a different surface. But yeah, either way, if you did gain or lose any weight very quickly, it's always gonna be water, just for future reference.

Yeah they are, and they're about 10 years old!!
Original post by Lucyloo98
Yeah they are, and they're about 10 years old!!

Explains a lot, the pressure sensors in them start to wear out and become inaccurate after a while so sounds like they're well overdue a replacement :biggrin: Always make sure you use it on a hard, flat surface as well.

Quick Reply

Latest