The Student Room Group

When is the best time to start revising for GCSE exams?

I've started Year 11 and have now been given some of my GCSE exam dates. I'm a triple science student sitting 9 science exams for the AQA exam board. In addition to this, I'm taking History (Edexcel), Sociology (AQA) and French (AQA) as well as the core subjects we are expected to take ( English Language and Literature, Mathematics, ICT, RS ).
My mocks begin on November 30th and end on December 11th. And if that isn't enough I have a science ISA on the 14th of December.
I intend on treating these mocks as if they were the real GCSE. So firstly, would beginning to revise for both the mocks and the real exams now be of any use? I'm predicted B grades all around for my end of year examinations but I have already surpassed most of these targets due to pulling my socks up in year 10.
Also, are there any revision techniques you can recommend for the subjects mentioned? Thank you so much ^_^

Scroll to see replies

Mocks are really nothing to worry about so a few weeks of revision should be OK for them. For your real examinations, I'd suggest maybe starting 2-3 months oh Hardcore revision prior to them. I actually only did 2 weeks of revision before my real exams and managed to get 2A*, 7A's and 2 B'S. If you'd like to message me on how I revised those last 2 weeks feel free to message me.
Original post by liliya_bener
I've started Year 11 and have now been given some of my GCSE exam dates. I'm a triple science student sitting 9 science exams for the AQA exam board. In addition to this, I'm taking History (Edexcel), Sociology (AQA) and French (AQA) as well as the core subjects we are expected to take ( English Language and Literature, Mathematics, ICT, RS ).
My mocks begin on November 30th and end on December 11th. And if that isn't enough I have a science ISA on the 14th of December.
I intend on treating these mocks as if they were the real GCSE. So firstly, would beginning to revise for both the mocks and the real exams now be of any use? I'm predicted B grades all around for my end of year examinations but I have already surpassed most of these targets due to pulling my socks up in year 10.
Also, are there any revision techniques you can recommend for the subjects mentioned? Thank you so much ^_^

Hi, I just finished year 11 this year with all As and A*s :smile: I took triple science and history and french too so I can help you there.
Are all ur exams at the end of year? If they are like mine were (all 19 of them) then I would say revising now wouldnt be of much use to the real exams, only the mocks :/.
ISAs shouldnt be much trouble, itsall about sayibg the right things eg identifying a trend, an anomaly.
As for revision, science wouldbe making notes and highlighting through to review them. I would recommend making one flashcard of things you struggle to remember to read right before the exam.
French: test yourself of vocab
History:flashcard of dates
Hope that helps, you can pm if u needany extra help :smile:
(I posted this like a week or two ago in another forum but ive copied it here as it may help :h:)

Hi I've just finished year 11 and got 10A*s this year so I may be of some help. I know most of you want to know when to start revising, so I'll outline the revision I did in year 11.

I started revision at the end of the Christmas holidays for my mocks. I actually did quite a lot of revision for these, which I definitely recommend, because it meant I had less to learn for my actual exams and also helped me see how I perform in an exam situation. At this time I did around 5 hours a day. My revision consisted of making notes and learning them. I didn't do any past papers before my mocks (but some of my friends did) as I wanted to 'save' them for the actual exams.

After my mocks I probably did around an hour a day and then two or three hours on weekends, all on top of homework which to be honest is not very much. This consisted of going over difficult topics, making notes and learning them again.

At Easter I started 'properly' revising. I ended up doing around 6 to 7 hours a day, which, with a good timetable, became quite manageable. I would always have some form of exercise (dog walking most days) which helped me relax and get back into studying. I also did violin practise and would still meet up with friends. For me, having these breaks was essential, as it means you are refreshed and can get back into studying. My revision here was finishing off notes, learning the content and starting to do past papers.

After Easter, I would do at least two hours after school and more at weekends. When we started study leave I ended up doing around 8 to 9 hours a day. Make sure you know your exam timetable so you can focus on exams before half term and spend less time on exams further away. Also, I spent lots of time doing past papers. Going over past papers to look at your exam technique and what topics you're not as good on was essential for me here as I learnt how to answer the questions.

So yep there is my revision. My main advice is past papers and asking teachers. They want you to do well, your grades reflect on them, so if you don't understand something, do ask after the lesson and go over it. It is really hard to learn something if you don't actually understand it. I did make notes but I'm not sure how useful they were. The ones I actually used for revision the most has questions on them, or were flash cards, so I thought about it. Ones that were just copying information from revision guides/ textbooks I found a lot less useful.

If you have any questions, just PM me
Reply 4
I've just got into Year 13 but I left Year 11 with 2 A*s, 9 As and 2 Bs.

I wouldn't stress about mocks too much. Assuming you did plenty of "revision" (just going over your stuff so you have a solid idea in your head of what's going on) last year and over summer then there's really not much for you to do for them now as you won't have finished all your topics yet. A couple of weeks of solid revision should be enough for mocks.

For the real exams I hardly did any revision at all either. Although I worked all throughout Years 10 and 11 (which is more than I can say for most of my classes) I only properly revised a couple of nights before each exam and came out just fine. If I could go back and change anything I'd cut out any revision I tried to do for English and Maths as I just didn't need it (common sense is more than enough here) and focused more on History and the Sciences as they are fact-based subjects.

I'm not sure how to help with your revision as everyone has their own way of doing it. The way I prefer is having lots of nice pens, paper, highlighters, etc. and sitting down and making really nice notes, then going over them and highlighting but that may not be what you want to do.
Check out videos on Youtube or just google "revision techniques" or something and see what kinds of things they suggest and try the one you think you'd like the most. Seeing as you're only starting Year 11 now, the worst thing that can happen is that you pick the wrong technique at first but you still have plenty of time to try out other ones.
Reply 5
Original post by orangeee22
(I posted this like a week or two ago in another forum but ive copied it here as it may help :h:)

Hi I've just finished year 11 and got 10A*s this year so I may be of some help. I know most of you want to know when to start revising, so I'll outline the revision I did in year 11.

I started revision at the end of the Christmas holidays for my mocks. I actually did quite a lot of revision for these, which I definitely recommend, because it meant I had less to learn for my actual exams and also helped me see how I perform in an exam situation. At this time I did around 5 hours a day. My revision consisted of making notes and learning them. I didn't do any past papers before my mocks (but some of my friends did) as I wanted to 'save' them for the actual exams.

After my mocks I probably did around an hour a day and then two or three hours on weekends, all on top of homework which to be honest is not very much. This consisted of going over difficult topics, making notes and learning them again.

At Easter I started 'properly' revising. I ended up doing around 6 to 7 hours a day, which, with a good timetable, became quite manageable. I would always have some form of exercise (dog walking most days) which helped me relax and get back into studying. I also did violin practise and would still meet up with friends. For me, having these breaks was essential, as it means you are refreshed and can get back into studying. My revision here was finishing off notes, learning the content and starting to do past papers.

After Easter, I would do at least two hours after school and more at weekends. When we started study leave I ended up doing around 8 to 9 hours a day. Make sure you know your exam timetable so you can focus on exams before half term and spend less time on exams further away. Also, I spent lots of time doing past papers. Going over past papers to look at your exam technique and what topics you're not as good on was essential for me here as I learnt how to answer the questions.

So yep there is my revision. My main advice is past papers and asking teachers. They want you to do well, your grades reflect on them, so if you don't understand something, do ask after the lesson and go over it. It is really hard to learn something if you don't actually understand it. I did make notes but I'm not sure how useful they were. The ones I actually used for revision the most has questions on them, or were flash cards, so I thought about it. Ones that were just copying information from revision guides/ textbooks I found a lot less useful.

what did you get in your mocks?
Original post by TheBlackHookage
I would start revising now. I only really started putting the work in before the Easter holidays. I got 7A*s and 6As.

I think if you started revising right now, you'd guarantee yourself a minimum of 11A*s. I definitely would have started revising earlier if I had the chance to go back. I don't mean do 10 hours a day or anything like that. Just recap the content you learned in class when you get home and look over what you will learn in the next lesson. This way you'll be on top of your work throughout year 11 and when the Easter holidays come by, revising won't seem so daunting or scary.

Hope this helps!

I plan on starting revision now as I plan on achieving 11A*s. I made a revision timetable, so ill be revising around 3 hours a day, up until December.
Reply 7
I would say to start revision during the Jan/Feb time.
Original post by okey
what did you get in your mocks?

I got 7A*s and 3As (but we hadn't finished all of our courses so we didn't have all the exams). Luckily I had christmas to revise, and I treated them like the real thing to so I spread out my learning, rather than doing everything around easter.
Original post by Hasanalm
Mocks are really nothing to worry about so a few weeks of revision should be OK for them. For your real examinations, I'd suggest maybe starting 2-3 months oh Hardcore revision prior to them. I actually only did 2 weeks of revision before my real exams and managed to get 2A*, 7A's and 2 B'S. If you'd like to message me on how I revised those last 2 weeks feel free to message me.

Wow really? Thank you and I'll be sure to PM you for any help :smile:
Original post by *halcyon*
Hi, I just finished year 11 this year with all As and A*s :smile: I took triple science and history and french too so I can help you there.
Are all ur exams at the end of year? If they are like mine were (all 19 of them) then I would say revising now wouldnt be of much use to the real exams, only the mocks :/.
ISAs shouldnt be much trouble, itsall about sayibg the right things eg identifying a trend, an anomaly.
As for revision, science wouldbe making notes and highlighting through to review them. I would recommend making one flashcard of things you struggle to remember to read right before the exam.
French: test yourself of vocab
History:flashcard of dates
Hope that helps, you can pm if u needany extra help :smile:

Thank you so much! Wow we literally have the same GCSE topics aside from sociology. I'll definitely PM you for advice :smile:
Original post by orangeee22

Wow those are some amazing grades. I'll be sure to take note and hopefully I'll have a similar outcome to yourself :smile: It's great having so many people to PM about this! ^_^
Original post by TheBlackHookage
I would start revising now. I only really started putting the work in before the Easter holidays. I got 7A*s and 6As.

I think if you started revising right now, you'd guarantee yourself a minimum of 11A*s. I definitely would have started revising earlier if I had the chance to go back. I don't mean do 10 hours a day or anything like that. Just recap the content you learned in class when you get home and look over what you will learn in the next lesson. This way you'll be on top of your work throughout year 11 and when the Easter holidays come by, revising won't seem so daunting or scary.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! If that's the case I best start now. How many hours a day would you deem ideal for starting now?
Original post by aamirac
I would say to start revision during the Jan/Feb time.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 14
Hi, my son has just started yr 11 and his school have put him forward for triple science, which he DID NOT choose. He had got Bs in previous science exams, but he is nit confident in doing triple science. How hard is it?
Original post by liliya_bener

you should always revise for GCSE or you will learn it the hard way like i did when you only get B's
Well.. all my predictions were Cs and 1 B in computing.. My mocks were 2a*, 1A, 1 b, 2c and 3 Ds...

I then started to revise for exams in april, mainly focusing on the sciences and spanish because they were my weakest subjects, I did every past paper and went through EVERY mark scheme and went through every question I went wrong for a week straight.

After the exams I got 3A*, 7As and 3Bs... was quite shocking really how my school expected so low of me and I exceeded every grade (most of which were by 2 lol)

Plus.. GCSEs won't determine your future (I just needed a C in spanish but I got an A O.O) so just try your best and make sure that whatever you do next you really grind it out and achieve the best you possibly can.
hi,
BEST ANSWER IS EARLYYYYY
tbh the earlier the better. i do triple and if ur gonna do it revise from the beginning of year 10. A LITTLE A DAY IS BETTER THAN 3 HRS IN ONE DAY.
so many people in my year are stressing like crazy now, i guess i am too but, much less as i noe the main bulk as i revise often.

in my opinion the best time other than OFTEN is the summer holiday. (BETWEEN YEAR 10 AND 11) AS you come back smart in year 11. as you may noe or notice that at the begin of the year you tend to drop as you haven't done much work or forgotten. PREVENT THIS.

I (YEAH IM KINDA NERDY) revised a little daily SO WHEN I CAME BACK TO year 11 i stayed on an A+ in most my subjects

most ppl went from like a B to a C/D (ITS HARD TO COME BACK UP AGAIN)
i hope this helped in some way :smile:
March is the right time, don't put pressure on yourself too early by revising, you can't afford to be stressed out before, coursework should be main priority now. I guarantee that if you start doing 3 hours now you're going to forget the course content by the time you do exams.
Original post by Mom33
Hi, my son has just started yr 11 and his school have put him forward for triple science, which he DID NOT choose. He had got Bs in previous science exams, but he is nit confident in doing triple science. How hard is it?

hi
i do triple to and im in year 11
basically all i can say is as him if he has completed C1, C2, B2, B1, P1 AND P2 these are normally covered in the first year (year 10)

if he has, then he should fit in fine as long as he revises often. furthermore he should at least have a C IN ALL OF THE 1s and 2s

im currently studying P3 and its hard (the hardest of all nice parts )

B3 and C3 IS EASY in my opinion.
(B3 links to things you learnt in B2)

but as long as he revises often it should be easy.

assuming he is currently doing double its not much of a jump as he will only study an additional THREE topics (B3, C3, P3)

HOPE THIS HELPED:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest