The Student Room Group

Further Maths

what exams or how many units do you need to do to have an A-level in further maths?
i've already finished core maths(C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, D1) and have an A and now i wanna do 2 years in 1 for further so does that mean i still have to do 12 exams?
Reply 2
Original post by King Of Domains
i've already finished core maths(C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, D1) and have an A and now i wanna do 2 years in 1 for further so does that mean i still have to do 12 exams?

You've already got an A-Level in Maths unless I'm misreading it.
You just need another 6 modules to get Further Maths.
Reply 3

6 altogether (12 if you plan on ddoing additional further maths).

Probably not if you stick with the same exam board... As far as I know people who did further maths in my school did FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, S3 and one other exam (I think) over two years. I'm hoping to do further maths during my gap year so I do wanna watch this thread as I don't know the first thing about how it works either.
Original post by nucdev
You've already got an A-Level in Maths unless I'm misreading it.
You just need another 6 modules to get Further Maths.

do you have to do all the FP's (as in FP1, FP2 and FP3) i heard you can do FP1 and one other only if you want?
Reply 6
do you have to do all the FP's (as in FP1, FP2 and FP3) i heard you can do FP1 and one other only if you want?

You don't have to do FP3.

I remember doing FP1, FP2, M2, M3, S2 and D1 for the further maths bit.
Original post by kkboyk
6 altogether (12 if you plan on ddoing additional further maths).

"additional further maths" i've never heard of that one
Reply 8

Yup a total of 18 maths modules.

Very few people do it - cousin of mine did though. Went on to study maths at Cambridge.
Reply 9

Basically its an extra Maths A-level where you do thw remaining applied modules e.g. S3-5, M3-5
Summary:
Maths A-level: C1,C2,C3,C4, two more applied. You have to have ALL of these to have the A level
Further Maths A-level: FP1, FP2 OR FP3, any four modules of your choice. Like if you want to do all the FP's, you definitely can.
Additional Further Maths: Any six modules that you haven't done for the other A levels.

what exams or how many units do you need to do to have an A-level in further maths?
Reply 11

To have a grade in FM you have to do 6 modules including FP1 and FP2. While you can choose the other 4 modules.. They could be any from: FP3,FP4,M1-M5, S1-S4, D1-D3 (excluding the ones you already did at A Level Maths)

Quick Reply

Latest