The Student Room Group

What do people think of Muslim girls that wear hijab and abaya (the long black dress)

Curious as to how the public perceive us.. would you think we were approachable for a conversation or nah?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I object to Muslims wearing them mainly because I don't wish to have this offensive religion thrown in my face everyday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think they da bomb
Original post by BoomCha!
I object to Muslims wearing them mainly because I don't wish to have this offensive religion thrown in my face everyday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By the clothes that they wear? Lol okay.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch... lol
Original post by Anonymous
Curious as to how the public perceive us.. would you think we were approachable for a conversation or nah?

Imo yeah, think they'd be approachable. But not someone wearing the niqqab to be honest.
Reply 6
Original post by yelllowribbon
By the clothes that they wear? Lol okay.

Yep. Wearing the Hijab does not make people look friendly or approachable and just makes people suspicious. We should follow France and ban them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like it but I'd respect their wish to wear it. I've been friends with countless muslim girls and guys so it wouldn't be an issue for me. But a niqab? Not going to approach to be honest.
Just googled "abaya"...

Ngl, would deter me from initiating a conversation. Then again, I rarely initiate conversations with people I'm not already friends with anyway, so I might not be the best person to ask.
Reply 9
Who cares what anyone else thinks? Positive or negative, I hope your opinion on how you cover doesn't change because of the replies you receive.

That being said, I think people would readily approach anyone whose face is showing. Hijabs and abayas are worn by so many people nowadays that we just don't stick out that much. This is the POV of someone living in London though, so yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then move to a country where they have no freedom of religion?

OP, meh if people wear an Abaya, that's their choice.
Yep. Wearing the Hijab does not make people look friendly or approachable and just makes people suspicious. We should follow France and ban them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm struggling to understand how the clothing that someone wears 'throws their religion in your face'...

And I thought the French ban only applied to the niqab? Correct me if I'm wrong on that...
Reply 12
I don't have a problem with it. However it doesn't look very approachable. Someone I know doesn't like it because you can't truly see who is there, and what they could have.
Original post by sofsb
Who cares what anyone else thinks? Positive or negative, I hope your opinion on how you cover doesn't change because of the replies you receive.

That being said, I think people would readily approach anyone whose face is showing. Hijabs and abayas are worn by so many people nowadays that we just don't stick out that much. This is the POV of someone living in London though, so yeah.

This tbh, though with hijabs you can normally see the face, so certainly you're a lot more approachable I guess
Reply 14
I have no issue with them and believe a man or woman should dress according to their desires, as long as their sexy bits aren't all out. I actually think the women look very elegant a lot of the time. I don't believe that way of dressing means someone is not as approachable. People who think this are actually revealing far more about themselves than the person wearing the clothes. I would find a full face covering challenging but only because it reduces the ability to read the body language. As soon as you start interfering with what clothes someone wears, you then give permission for everyone else to judge and limit what you wear.
Original post by EllainKahlo
I don't like it but I'd respect their wish to wear it. I've been friends with countless muslim girls and guys so it wouldn't be an issue for me. But a niqab? Not going to approach to be honest.

Ok cool. I appreciate your opinion, but isn't it just like a black maxi dress lol
Original post by Anonymous
Ouch... lol

Ignore boomchai. He seems to hate Muslims in general tbh
People who wear them look a lot less approachable, but that doesn't mean I won't ever approach you or wouldn't be friends with you. It's all about the body language and because I can see your face I can judge from that only. Now if we are talking about a Niqab then no I wouldn't approach, there's just too little to be able to judge your intentions by. Think about it this way, would you approach someone or talk to someone who you have never seen before and is wearing a balaclava.
As a side question, are you ever allowed to wear 'normal' casual clothes outside or do you always have to cover up in the black dresses and the hijab?
Reply 18
As I'm a white male, they don't speak to me, so we're good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And ban freedom of religion? Yikes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending