The Student Room Group

What do people think of Muslim girls that wear hijab and abaya (the long black dress)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes I think you are.
I have seen girls who have abayas and hug non mehrams at the same time.
Never judge a book by its cover
Original post by The_Internet
Ignore boomchai. He seems to hate Muslims in general tbh

Yup, it's better to ignore than having to repeatedly pull out your hair looking at his/her's replies. :u:
EXTREMISTS :eek:

Spoiler

Reply 23
Original post by yelllowribbon
I'm struggling to understand how the clothing that someone wears 'throws their religion in your face'...

And I thought the French ban only applied to the niqab? Correct me if I'm wrong on that...

It's banned in State schools. Many Muslims put their daughters in Christian schools as a result.
Original post by eoe
Yes I think you are.
I have seen girls who have abayas and hug non mehrams at the same time.
Never judge a book by its cover

Valid point. We all sin though.

Just because you wear a hijab/abaya doesn't mean you're more pious compared to a girl who doesn't.
Original post by MissML
I don't have a problem with it. However it doesn't look very approachable. Someone I know doesn't like it because you can't truly see who is there, and what they could have.

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by that though?
Original post by Anonymous
Ok cool. I appreciate your opinion, but isn't it just like a black maxi dress lol

Sorry, I know the terms are interchangeable, I mean the face-covering part. I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to anybody whose face I can't see. But other than that, my friends can wear what they like and I will respect that.
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Yup, it's better to ignore than having to repeatedly pull out your hair looking at his/her's replies. :u:

Lol, I am completely free to express my feelings about any religion on this forum, no point getting so angry at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And ban freedom of religion? Yikes.

If I could I'd ban all religions full stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the response. What do you mean by that though?

I think they were more talking about the ones where only eyes are showing. They don't like how you can't tell who's there, or even if there is a man or woman. It also makes it harder to see their body language for interaction.
Original post by BoomCha!
Lol, I am completely free to express my feelings about any religion on this forum, no point getting so angry at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, using the Freedom of Speech to ban Freedom of religion.

:congrats:

Not angry at all, just amused. :h:

If I could I'd ban all religions full stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank Allah that you don't run the country.
Yup, using the Freedom of Speech to ban Freedom of religion.

:congrats:

Not angry at all, just amused. :h:

Thank Allah that you don't run the country.

I reckon plenty of people on this forum would be happy with no religion in this world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Avoid and make no eye contact. But I don't care, their 'choice' to wear it.
Original post by Josb
It's banned in State schools. Many Muslims put their daughters in Christian schools as a result.

Pretty sure it isn't. I went to a state school. Admittedly, we didn't really see that there cos it was a grammar school, and we generally had less ...white faces (ie: white people being less likely to be Muslim) but in the local school, that too was a state school and they were allowed to wear hijabs there.
Original post by Josb
As I'm a white male, they don't speak to me, so we're good.

LOL
I reckon plenty of people on this forum would be happy with no religion in this world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't make everyone happy. It's just the way the world works.

:dontknow:

Original post by hihihihihi
Avoid and make no eye contact. But I don't care, their 'choice' to wear it.

We're not oppressed. It's nice that you're concerned though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That may well be so, but it's a bit draconian to say "No you no longer have this freedom" if you want to emulate China, why not go there?

You can't make everyone happy. It's just the way the world works.:dontknow:We're not oppressed. It's nice that you're concerned though. :smile:

Natalia, he's using the stance of "I hate religion" to somehow justify prejudice and hatred of ...religious people. See here:

With Dhimmi Cameron as PM we won't be able to do anything about this for a while.Posted from TSR Mobile
BoomChai, there's a difference between disliking religion and then being prejudiced against followers of x religion or in your case implying that Muslims are somehow infiltrating the UK by calling Cameron a "dhmmi"
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok just to clarify to everyone, this is about the long black dress and hijab only and not the face covering (niqab)
Reply 38
Original post by The_Internet
Pretty sure it isn't. I went to a state school. Admittedly, we didn't really see that there cos it was a grammar school, and we generally had less ...white faces (ie: white people being less likely to be Muslim) but in the local school, that too was a state school and they were allowed to wear hijabs there.

I was speaking about the situation in France. :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by Danz0r123
People who wear them look a lot less approachable, but that doesn't mean I won't ever approach you or wouldn't be friends with you. It's all about the body language and because I can see your face I can judge from that only. Now if we are talking about a Niqab then no I wouldn't approach, there's just too little to be able to judge your intentions by. Think about it this way, would you approach someone or talk to someone who you have never seen before and is wearing a balaclava.
As a side question, are you ever allowed to wear 'normal' casual clothes outside or do you always have to cover up in the black dresses and the hijab?

You don't have to wear the abaya (black dress). But the main reason why it's worn is because it's long and loose, so it covers the full body, and you don't have to worry about any wardrobe malfunctions lol. Any clothing which isn't short, tight or see through should be fine though.

Quick Reply

Latest