The Student Room Group

What do people think of Muslim girls that wear hijab and abaya (the long black dress)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Curious as to how the public perceive us.. would you think we were approachable for a conversation or nah?

"Avoid like the plague" comes to mind in this instance.
It wouldn't stop me approaching someone for conversation. I don't care. It's just a different style of clothing at the end of the day and it's really no biggie.
Curious as to how the public perceive us.. would you think we were approachable for a conversation or nah?

Well, no. I am of the impression that Muslim social behaviour dictates that you are not allowed to talk to strange men, so I'd leave you alone if I thought you were Muslim.
Don't mind things that leave the face clear as much, only the full body and face coverings are an issue to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
I was speaking about the situation in France. :biggrin:

Ah sorry. Yeah that makes sense!
Reply 45

Did you choose to dress like this personally? Or is it traditionally done in your family? Well it depends if you go to my uni i might talk to you yh. But generally i don't approach people niqab or no niqab
Original post by The_Internet

Natalia, he's using the stance of "I hate religion" to somehow justify prejudice and hatred of ...religious people. See here:

BoomChai, there's a difference between disliking religion and then being prejudiced against followers of x religion or in your case implying that Muslims are somehow infiltrating the UK by calling Cameron a "dhmmi"

I can tell. It's sad to see some people have so much hatred filled in their hearts.

Most of us are tolerant enough to not go crazy over his ignorance. The internet plays a part in this. He thinks he's entitled to offend anyone he wants here but in the real world he probably wouldn't have the courage to state his prejudice out in the the open due to the amount of people who would be disgusted by his beliefs. :colonhash:
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
I can tell. It's sad to see some people have so much hatred filled in their hearts.

Most of us are tolerant enough to not go crazy over his ignorance. The internet plays a part in this. He thinks he's entitled to offend anyone he wants here but in the real world he probably wouldn't have the courage to state his prejudice out in the the open due to the amount of people who would be disgusted by his beliefs. :colonhash:

Never knew I got under people's skin that badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Internet
That may well be so, but it's a bit draconian to say "No you no longer have this freedom" if you want to emulate China, why not go there?

Natalia, he's using the stance of "I hate religion" to somehow justify prejudice and hatred of ...religious people. See here:

BoomChai, there's a difference between disliking religion and then being prejudiced against followers of x religion or in your case implying that Muslims are somehow infiltrating the UK by calling Cameron a "dhmmi"

By the way, it's an exclamation mark at the end of my user name, not an i.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0123456543210
They aren't in their home country, so they shouldn't promote their religion at all. It is their culture and I would like to see them keeping it on their homeland, not bringing it here. Also, I think that these should be banned in public places for the security measures e.g. you can't go into a shop with a motorcycle helmet on, that's for the purpose of identification. But there are no objections to women wearing hijab, because leftists are scared to offend these people (they seem to be offended by everything anyway).

Finally, someone who agrees with me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looking back at my history of friends and acquaintances..I don't think I've ever spoken to a Muslim woman..I guess they are either rare where I live or they just don't approach people..
Original post by BoomCha!
Never knew I got under people's skin that badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You assume too much, my friend.

Just stating the consequences of your actions. Better safe than sorry I suppose. :flute:
Original post by Danz0r123
People who wear them look a lot less approachable, but that doesn't mean I won't ever approach you or wouldn't be friends with you. It's all about the body language and because I can see your face I can judge from that only. Now if we are talking about a Niqab then no I wouldn't approach, there's just too little to be able to judge your intentions by. Think about it this way, would you approach someone or talk to someone who you have never seen before and is wearing a balaclava.
As a side question, are you ever allowed to wear 'normal' casual clothes outside or do you always have to cover up in the black dresses and the hijab?

Yeah I totally understand your issue with the niqab. It's obviously something you're not used to and you don't understand so you're gonna find it weird when someone chooses to completely cover their face. But as a Muslim I obviously don't have a problem with it, as some people I know wear it, and I know that they're just choosing to worship God and it's nothing but that. And to your side question, I personally always wear it and I'm 19 years old, I do know some people who are on and off with it just like the hijab... but to answer your question I don't think there's much point in wearing it sometimes and not others because there's a bigger meaning to why you're wearing it, it's not just a piece of clothing. We choose to wear it to be modest (which I'm not saying you can't be just because you're not wearing it) and because we are instructed to do so by God. So if you decide that it is compulsory then you would naturally commit to it.
They aren't in their home country, so they shouldn't promote their religion at all. It is their culture and I would like to see them keeping it on their homeland, not bringing it here. Also, I think that these should be banned in public places for the security measures e.g. you can't go into a shop with a motorcycle helmet on, that's for the purpose of identification. But there are no objections to women wearing hijab, because leftists are scared to offend these people (they seem to be offended by everything anyway).

Think you're getting confused between hijab/abaya/niqab...google it
Original post by EastGuava
I think it means that you don't know how many bombs they're hiding underneath their attire.

Urm, ok.
Yeah I totally understand your issue with the niqab. It's obviously something you're not used to and you don't understand so you're gonna find it weird when someone chooses to completely cover their face. But as a Muslim I obviously don't have a problem with it, as some people I know wear it, and I know that they're just choosing to worship God and it's nothing but that. And to your side question, I personally always wear it and I'm 19 years old, I do know some people who are on and off with it just like the hijab... but to answer your question I don't think there's much point in wearing it sometimes and not others because there's a bigger meaning to why you're wearing it, it's not just a piece of clothing. We choose to wear it to be modest (which I'm not saying you can't be just because you're not wearing it) and because we are instructed to do so by God. So if you decide that it is compulsory then you would naturally commit to it.

So seeing as you have committed to wearing this clothing, do you wear it around the clock (obviously not sleeping) or do you take it off at home and wear like jeans or something? I don't want to sound like I'm interviewing you I'm just interested.
Original post by BoomCha!
By the way, it's an exclamation mark at the end of my user name, not an i.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's nice.

But we're not 'trying to promote our Religon'. It's just a choice of dress like the way you choose to wear whatever you wear..
But we're not 'trying to promote our Religon'. It's just a choice of dress like the way you choose to wear whatever you wear..

Except you dress to state that men are incapable of restraint and that the female body is something to be ashamed of and hidden.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yelllowribbon
Think you're getting confused between hijab/abaya/niqab...google it

Well, niqabs and burkas should definitely be banned, because they conceal the identity and that makes it easy to commit crime/ acts of terrorism (e.g. Boston bombings). There is however no reason to object women wearing hijab etc. that don't cover their faces, even though I don't find it pleasant to see such in the non-muslim countries.

Quick Reply