The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

I've got an interview/selection day coming up for Liverpool Hope for the Primary PGCE. They've asked that we bring an artefact (book, song poem, or object) and explain to a small group how you would use this to stimulate interest and learning in a primary curriculum area. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use?
what is the general interview process like for primary PGCEs?
Original post by jaspreetka
what is the general interview process like for primary PGCEs?

Different for each university but from what I read it can involve: group discussions or presentations related to primary curriculum or educational topics, presenting a taster lesson, one to one interview and sometimes literacy or numeracy tests. Depends on the university you apply for :smile:
Hi all!
Does anyone know when you have to apply on UCAS for the 16/17 year?
Reply 164
Hi guys :smile:

I start a week of experience in the classroom tomorrow and I'm so nervous! Does anybody have any tips to come across as confident and teacher-y when you haven't really had any experience before!?
I have work experience in a different school tomorrow.

I'm pretty nervous but I know what to expect from my last lot so that takes the edge off a bit.

It doesn't help that I don't have my glasses though - I sent them off to get my new prescription put in on the weekend so I won't have them at all while in this school. I can read okay without them but it takes more effort and I'm betting I'll have a headache after a full day of taking notes and looking at pupil's work.
Hi everyone! I'm going to apply for Secondary Science (Chemistry to Alevel) but have struggled to come to a decision as to where to apply. Is anyone else thinking of Cambridge/Oxford? I have found it so hard to find how competitive it is/what chance I stand- unsurprisingly people don't write their whole academic background over the internet. I've got 2 weeks in a secondary school coming up (so difficult to organise) and should be on for a 2:1 in Chemistry at The University of York. I've also noticed that there aren't many people who come straight from undergraduate degrees, does this put me at a disadvantage because I haven't got life experience or are there merits to both? You can probably tell I have A LOT of questions haha
Original post by AspireToTeach
Hi everyone! I'm going to apply for Secondary Science (Chemistry to Alevel) but have struggled to come to a decision as to where to apply. Is anyone else thinking of Cambridge/Oxford? I have found it so hard to find how competitive it is/what chance I stand- unsurprisingly people don't write their whole academic background over the internet. I've got 2 weeks in a secondary school coming up (so difficult to organise) and should be on for a 2:1 in Chemistry at The University of York. I've also noticed that there aren't many people who come straight from undergraduate degrees, does this put me at a disadvantage because I haven't got life experience or are there merits to both? You can probably tell I have A LOT of questions haha

Finally someone in the same position as me!

I'm doing my masters degree in physics at Durham. Looking at Oxford, Cambridge and Durham for PGCE.

At least for physics, Oxford still had places like a month ago and Cambridge barely filled up one week before that, i.e very late in the deadline. I think interview/experience is more important than grades, Oxford told me they would consider a 2:2 in physics (might not be the same for chemistry as its slightly more competitive, but im on the 2:1/2:2 borderline but will have a masters degree), the key would be showing you've got the right qualities.

2 weeks is good experience, do you offer anything else? I've got 1 week is state secondary, doing 1 week in primary next week, then I've got 1 more week in state secondary and 2 weeks in private schools. I'll also be doing volunteering with uni in secondary teaching assistant work, tutoring and hopefully postgrad talks in local schools to supplement my application. Already done my maths QTS test too :biggrin:
Original post by TunaTunnel
Finally someone in the same position as me!

I'm doing my masters degree in physics at Durham. Looking at Oxford, Cambridge and Durham for PGCE.

At least for physics, Oxford still had places like a month ago and Cambridge barely filled up one week before that, i.e very late in the deadline. I think interview/experience is more important than grades, Oxford told me they would consider a 2:2 in physics (might not be the same for chemistry as its slightly more competitive, but im on the 2:1/2:2 borderline but will have a masters degree), the key would be showing you've got the right qualities.

2 weeks is good experience, do you offer anything else? I've got 1 week is state secondary, doing 1 week in primary next week, then I've got 1 more week in state secondary and 2 weeks in private schools. I'll also be doing volunteering with uni in secondary teaching assistant work, tutoring and hopefully postgrad talks in local schools to supplement my application. Already done my maths QTS test too :biggrin:

Hey!

I'm thinking the same with going for both Oxford and Cambridge, maybe throwing in a London one. It sounds so risky but the impression I have from asking any stranger that seems to have done it (I got very desperate and had some amazingly helpful replies!) is exactly what you have said about it being more focused on experience and why you'd want to be/will be a good teacher. I'm doing a volunteering scheme next term helping at a local college once a week with maths GCSE and have volunteered for summer reading challenges in the past as well as the 2 weeks I have coming. I'm praying it's enough haha! Do you know if Oxbridge make you live in halls for pgces? I hope to get a car if the bursaries stay the same and drive to the placements and hopefully live at home (save some money haha)
Hey!

I'm thinking the same with going for both Oxford and Cambridge, maybe throwing in a London one. It sounds so risky but the impression I have from asking any stranger that seems to have done it (I got very desperate and had some amazingly helpful replies!) is exactly what you have said about it being more focused on experience and why you'd want to be/will be a good teacher. I'm doing a volunteering scheme next term helping at a local college once a week with maths GCSE and have volunteered for summer reading challenges in the past as well as the 2 weeks I have coming. I'm praying it's enough haha! Do you know if Oxbridge make you live in halls for pgces? I hope to get a car if the bursaries stay the same and drive to the placements and hopefully live at home (save some money haha)

I like the collegiate system experience at Durham so I've kept to those unis. Almost certain I wont get into Cambridge, I've heard bad things about the interviews, I think I've got a much better chance at Oxford.
Should be, Oxford says you only need 1 day experience so.
Not entirely sure, theres not much on it, do you know what colleges you are looking at yet?
I like the collegiate system experience at Durham so I've kept to those unis. Almost certain I wont get into Cambridge, I've heard bad things about the interviews, I think I've got a much better chance at Oxford.
Should be, Oxford says you only need 1 day experience so.
Not entirely sure, theres not much on it, do you know what colleges you are looking at yet?

There's always apply 2 or next year if it was too big a risk for me to take, I've not heard any interview tales yet, don't know if I should or shouldn't haha. Not a clue on colleges yet since I only really decided for sure today I'd apply, I didnt want to get carried away with the idea. What about you? Are we meant to have done QTS tests before applying? Have you made a start on your personal statement yet? It all seems so close, I'm feeling the stress already haha
There's always apply 2 or next year if it was too big a risk for me to take, I've not heard any interview tales yet, don't know if I should or shouldn't haha. Not a clue on colleges yet since I only really decided for sure today I'd apply, I didnt want to get carried away with the idea. What about you? Are we meant to have done QTS tests before applying? Have you made a start on your personal statement yet? It all seems so close, I'm feeling the stress already haha

I researched some old threads regarding Oxford interviews (for maths though). I've made a short list, kinda like my durham college, so old and traditional.

No, but I think Cambridge want them booked before your interview, not sure about oxford.

Its 95% done, and im pretty happy, just needs optimising/proofreading now. I've lost my GCSE/A-level certificates which is annoying, I need to pay like £144 to get them reprinted :frown:
I researched some old threads regarding Oxford interviews (for maths though). I've made a short list, kinda like my durham college, so old and traditional.

No, but I think Cambridge want them booked before your interview, not sure about oxford.

Its 95% done, and im pretty happy, just needs optimising/proofreading now. I've lost my GCSE/A-level certificates which is annoying, I need to pay like £144 to get them reprinted :frown:

Sounds like you're sorted! Is it just a QTS test that's needed? I feel like I've spent months researching and somehow not come across the vital information. Are you going to do the literacy one before applying too?

Is what I've read about it not being the same as the undergraduate system of allocating colleges? Is it that if you are accepted but your choice of college doesn't have space for you that you get given a space in another college? So basically there's no point choosing the college tactically based on their number of places for PGCEs?

Aww that's so irritating! I'm hoping my mum still has them safe somewhere although I think I'll be checking tomorrow!
Sounds like you're sorted! Is it just a QTS test that's needed? I feel like I've spent months researching and somehow not come across the vital information. Are you going to do the literacy one before applying too?

Is what I've read about it not being the same as the undergraduate system of allocating colleges? Is it that if you are accepted but your choice of college doesn't have space for you that you get given a space in another college? So basically there's no point choosing the college tactically based on their number of places for PGCEs?

Aww that's so irritating! I'm hoping my mum still has them safe somewhere although I think I'll be checking tomorrow!

I might do, I've done practice tests but not revised and getting ~pass mark. I want to properly revise it though as I'm not that good at certain aspects like comprehension.

You get two options afaik, pretty much should get into one. I guess going for a non-undergrad heavy one is probably safest, you should order the UG prospectuses, they give some good info about colleges.
I might do, I've done practice tests but not revised and getting ~pass mark. I want to properly revise it though as I'm not that good at certain aspects like comprehension.

You get two options afaik, pretty much should get into one. I guess going for a non-undergrad heavy one is probably safest, you should order the UG prospectuses, they give some good info about colleges.

Oh okay, I think I'll do that, thanks for the advice! I'll definitely start looking into the QTS tests too and have a feeling I'll be exactly the same as you (happy with the numeracy but not so much with the literacy, English never was my thing)
****.. Do you need your GCSEs and Alevel certificates?? I did A-Levels 10 years ago and lost them years ago?

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Original post by Lambert87
****.. Do you need your GCSEs and Alevel certificates?? I did A-Levels 10 years ago and lost them years ago?

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)

I wasn't asked for A levels just my Maths and English GCSE Certs and my degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 177
I rang two local secondary schools last week and both replied today said sorry they won't be able to help for this year as they already have students in.

I need experience before November. I'm panicking now. What if I no school let me . I won't be able to get a 2016 application in then.
Reply 178
Original post by chloeww
I rang two local secondary schools last week and both replied today said sorry they won't be able to help for this year as they already have students in.

I need experience before November. I'm panicking now. What if I no school let me . I won't be able to get a 2016 application in then.

You can apply any time for PGCE so no need to panic :smile:, there is no November deadline (that im aware of)
Original post by chloeww

As S27 said, November is when it opens, not closes. The PGCE I'm applying for still had places at Cambridge until late June. I don't know about other unis as they're less up front with their statistics but don't fret - there's time yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending