The Student Room Group

What do people think of Muslim girls that wear hijab and abaya (the long black dress)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
It should be legally allowed but socially unacceptable. The abaya and hijab are remnants of an archaic, violent, oppressive religion founded by a child molesting pedophile warlord :wink:

Good lord
Original post by MissML
I think they were more talking about the ones where only eyes are showing. They don't like how you can't tell who's there, or even if there is a man or woman. It also makes it harder to see their body language for interaction.

Fair enough I guess
Wearing an abaya makes me feel like a princess :biggrin:.
Plus, everyone I know wears it by choice.

Hi 5 girllll
Reply 83
Although I'm not against the niqab and agree that people should definitely have the right to choose what they wear, I can't help but think that it must make them somewhat antisocial since their face is covered all the time. I mean how are you supposed to meet new people or hold a conversation when the other person can't even see your face. Atleast with a hijab I can actually engage with a person and look them in the eye.

I'm friends with a girl who wears a niqab at my uni. But, I know what she looks like because she does take it off when there is only females around. They don't wear it 24/7.
I'm not the best person to ask this because I have social issues anyway... like I kind of struggle to make friends but when I do, nope! I get along really well with non-muslim girls, and they are always nice and friendly! My closest friend in school was a muslim but was also quite friendly with a lot of non muslim girls. But omg yes sometimes I can't help but think, they must find me a lil weird because of what I'm wearing

Well I'd like to think we all have issues of some kind so you're probably as good a person to ask as any..Ah I see..yeah I didn't really think it would be too big of a deal.but I'm wondering why you didn't mention guys, is it the same with them or are they a bit more discriminatory? Yeah, but at least it's kind of interesting and you're not just a boring average girl.
I wear both and obviously I'd approach lol
Original post by Naveed-7
I respect them. I have nothing against them.

Thanks, are you non-muslim?
Reply 87
It makes you have second thoughts about approaching them because obviously the culture they were brought up with is very different to the typical western culture, unless you're incredibly familiar with someone who wears (insert clothing religious people wear) then you'd definitely feel more at ease approaching someone who seems more similar to you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Good lord

Please inform me if anything I said was wrong
Curious as to how the public perceive us.. would you think we were approachable for a conversation or nah?

:five:

I love wearing my abaya and hijab and I wouldn't change myself or my opinion as to how I cover and dress myself for anyone. I wear it for Allah (swt) only so it doesn't really affect me if anyone else judges me or doesn't approach me because of my clothing. That's their opinion I guess.
I think virgins
Original post by Danz0r123
Well I'd like to think we all have issues of some kind so you're probably as good a person to ask as any..Ah I see..yeah I didn't really think it would be too big of a deal.but I'm wondering why you didn't mention guys, is it the same with them or are they a bit more discriminatory? Yeah, but at least it's kind of interesting and you're not just a boring average girl.

Hmmm with guys, I do talk to them the same way as I talk to girls but I guess it just feels a lil awkward, for some reason I feel like they're less accepting of it, non-muslim girls just seem more accepting and nice.. idk they don't even acknowledge it and treat you like any other girl tbh
That they're Muslim.
Indifferent.
Original post by AccountingBabe
"Avoid like the plague" comes to mind in this instance.

And why is that
I wear the hijab. I've worn it since I was 10 and I was never forced into it. My mum brought a cute hijab and said that I could dress up and play with it but then I liked it and ever since I've been wearing it (I'm 15).
I do feel other people judge us. They obviously feel that these people are less aproachable, however anything new or strange to you makes you feel uncomfortable around it. I tend to start conversations with people and they always ask politely why I wear the hijab or how I feel about it. I explain that I chose to wear it and that it's for modesty. But if I'm not bothered I will just say it's cosy.
I feel like the youger generation is more friendly about it and I have seen many classmates who are not muslim get defensive towards people who are rasist and discriminate towards hijabis. I tend to have people telling me "you have hair sticking out" even if we don't normally talk.
I personally don't like the niqab and neither does my family (thats probably why I originally didn't like it). It doesn't say in the Quran to wear niqab so why should I? It makes you less approachable and makes you look less friendly. You're hiding away what god gave you to show. Your face is what people first judge you on.
Also, we have freedom to wear what we want and dress how we like. I've noticed it's more acceptable for people to go out in bikinis than for people to fully dress up. If nuns can wear what they wear why can't muslim women?

Sorry for the long post. I feel strongly about this. Btw i was born in england so i've spent my whole life in a non-muslim country
Original post by samboosa0
:five:

I love wearing my abaya and hijab and I wouldn't change myself or my opinion as to how I cover and dress myself for anyone. I wear it for Allah (swt) only so it doesn't really affect me if anyone else judges me or doesn't approach me because of my clothing. That's their opinion I guess.

:smile: Really respect that sis!
Hmmm with guys, I do talk to them the same way as I talk to girls but I guess it just feels a lil awkward, for some reason I feel like they're less accepting of it, non-muslim girls just seem more accepting and nice.. idk they don't even acknowledge it and treat you like any other girl tbh

Yeah I think I know what you mean, but tbh I think it might just be the fact that they are the same gender to you. As a guy its less awkward to talk to other guys than girls, guys understand guys better and the same for girls i guess.
No, to me it makes them non-approachable as people wearing them never respond when you talk to them, or just mumble something in a foreign language (my experience).

Also I believe it to be ridiculous that these things can be worn to conceal your identity in public, yet a man wouldn't be able to wear a bandit mask in the street!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Danz0r123
Yeah I think I know what you mean, but tbh I think it might just be the fact that they are the same gender to you. As a guy its less awkward to talk to other guys than girls, guys understand guys better and the same for girls i guess.

Yep I agree. So do you know any girls that dress the way I do? Deep down what do you really think when you see one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending