The Student Room Group

sociology a level?

Basically is it a good course (even though it's changing), did anyone get good results in it? would you recommend it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i got an A* in sociology and i really loved it!! also once you understand the essay structures and get the hang of basic concepts it not too difficult (compared to my other alevels it was the least amount of work)
i would recommend it but if youre unsure just look over course content and see if you think you will enjoy it
Original post by citydeer
i got an A* in sociology and i really loved it!! also once you understand the essay structures and get the hang of basic concepts it not too difficult (compared to my other alevels it was the least amount of work)
i would recommend it but if youre unsure just look over course content and see if you think you will enjoy it

okay that's really helped thanks! I'm repeating year 12 and picking up new subjects so I wondered how big the work load was but you've made me more confident in choosing it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by stressedperson02
okay that's really helped thanks! I'm repeating year 12 and picking up new subjects so I wondered how big the work load was but you've made me more confident in choosing it :smile:

obviously it depends on your teacher but i did sociology for 3 years (resat as year) and had 7 different teachers and i never really got a homework, an essay a few times a month maybe but thats was all really, and as for extra study i did a few hours a week but you could probably get away with less - if you pay attention in class the concepts are mostly pretty easy, the hardest part is memorising studies and names but if you make flash cards as they come along and keep practicing its not too bad at all!!

Hello :smile:

I repeated Year 12 as well and chose different subjects, one being Sociology. I am about to start year 13 and got an A at AS level. I absolutely loved Sociology and cannot recommend it enough!
obviously it depends on your teacher but i did sociology for 3 years (resat as year) and had 7 different teachers and i never really got a homework, an essay a few times a month maybe but thats was all really, and as for extra study i did a few hours a week but you could probably get away with less - if you pay attention in class the concepts are mostly pretty easy, the hardest part is memorising studies and names but if you make flash cards as they come along and keep practicing its not too bad at all!!

okay yeah i want to make sure I revise better this year aha but it sounds good and well done on your great result!! how did your other subjects go in resitting the year?
Original post by emiloujess
Hello :smile:

I repeated Year 12 as well and chose different subjects, one being Sociology. I am about to start year 13 and got an A at AS level. I absolutely loved Sociology and cannot recommend it enough!

That's great well done!:smile: what other subjects did you do when you resat the year?
Reply 7
That's great well done!:smile: what other subjects did you do when you resat the year?

sociology, history and english lit for A2 and politics for AS (sociology and lit were resits and the other 2 were new subjects!)

whoops i replied to the wrong comment!! my other subjects went great i got A*AB overall!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Sociology is wonderful and I'm not just saying that because I'm doing it in uni this year :smile: it will honestly open your mind to so many real world issues and has great connections to many other subjects (all of mine.) It educated me to not be such an ignorant person and stuff. It was the subject I performed worst in with a B which kind of indicates how enjoyable I found it if I'm still carrying it on at degree level. The essay writing will also help in any other essay based subjects you're doing too.
sociology, history and english lit for A2 and politics for AS (sociology and lit were resits and the other 2 were new subjects!)

whoops i replied to the wrong comment!! my other subjects went great i got A*AB overall!!

haha no worries and those are great :smile: how was lit my teachers have suggested I do that one this year

Film Studies and Psychology :smile:

Last year I did Bio, Chem, Maths and Psychology, got EUUE haha :smile:
haha no worries and those are great :smile: how was lit my teachers have suggested I do that one this year

i enjoyed it but i think it really depends on the books you study - for as we did books i really loved and i found it so good and did well in it! but for A2 exam i didnt really enjoy the books we did and i did worse (i got a low C which bought my A down to a B) so i would suggest looking at which books you willl study and see if you think you will enjoy them - also it was a LOT of work depending on the teacher one teacher gave us an hour of homework every night due the next morning, but my second year teacher gave us an essay a week so it was still a heavy workload and without the essays there is still a lot of extra reading to do
obviously you can get away with doing less work, but you wont achieve as highly without the extra reading/essay practice - but if you think you will enjoy it then go for it i did really love it!
Film Studies and Psychology :smile:

Last year I did Bio, Chem, Maths and Psychology, got EUUE haha :smile:

maths and science sound so hard ahah but hope it went well for you this year!
maths and science sound so hard ahah but hope it went well for you this year!

Yeah it was :frown: I got ABC this year, the B being 2 marks off an A and the C being 5 off a B :smile:
i enjoyed it but i think it really depends on the books you study - for as we did books i really loved and i found it so good and did well in it! but for A2 exam i didnt really enjoy the books we did and i did worse (i got a low C which bought my A down to a B) so i would suggest looking at which books you willl study and see if you think you will enjoy them - also it was a LOT of work depending on the teacher one teacher gave us an hour of homework every night due the next morning, but my second year teacher gave us an essay a week so it was still a heavy workload and without the essays there is still a lot of extra reading to do
obviously you can get away with doing less work, but you wont achieve as highly without the extra reading/essay practice - but if you think you will enjoy it then go for it i did really love it!

I think we're doing othello and rebecca but I'm hoping i will enjoy it they sound quite interesting :smile: and does sound like hard work aha but I'll have the exams at the end of the two years so that would be more time to revise it all maybe haha!
Yeah it was :frown: I got ABC this year, the B being 2 marks off an A and the C being 5 off a B :smile:

those are good and with them being close to the boundaries you could bring them up at least a grade in year 13 :smile:
I think we're doing othello and rebecca but I'm hoping i will enjoy it they sound quite interesting :smile: and does sound like hard work aha but I'll have the exams at the end of the two years so that would be more time to revise it all maybe haha!

ahh yes! i always forget about the alevel changes because they didnt effect me at all, if you think you would enjoy it i would say go for it! sociology and lit also go well together (essay techniques and stuff but also the sociological theories can be applied to lit) out of interest what other subjects are you planning on doing?
ahh yes! i always forget about the alevel changes because they didnt effect me at all, if you think you would enjoy it i would say go for it! sociology and lit also go well together (essay techniques and stuff but also the sociological theories can be applied to lit) out of interest what other subjects are you planning on doing?

oh really that's good then aha, and I'm carrying on english language to A2 as I got an A in my AS :smile: and then i was thinking maybe picking up spanish because i like languages but it seems like they are hard a levels to do well in :/
oh really that's good then aha, and I'm carrying on english language to A2 as I got an A in my AS :smile: and then i was thinking maybe picking up spanish because i like languages but it seems like they are hard a levels to do well in :/

i have no idea about languages but they seem hard to me (but i just dont have the skills for languages i dont think) although ive heard spanish is one of the easier languages! good luck your choices sound really good!
those are good and with them being close to the boundaries you could bring them up at least a grade in year 13 :smile:

I really hope so, the unis I'm looking at are ABB for my course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest