The Student Room Group

What do you think of people who swear unnecessarily?

So I was just watching (mum and her friend were watching it) sex pistols in concert on tv and that really messy looking guy was just constantly swearing and so aggressive.

There's a few people like that in my life who just swear so unnecessarily. I swear as well, quite badly sometimes but only in really angry moments, usually with technology or when people push me to my limits.

Scroll to see replies

One word invented for them - STUPID
Reply 2
Depends how often. If it's every 5 seconds then it's stupid, but once or twice a day is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing because my upbringing has made it such that I subconsciously swear just endlessly really.
Personally, I don't like it at all. I think it sounds rough and common. And all this about people who swear being more clever, absolute rubbish. Clever people don't need to use vulgar language to get their point across.
Reply 5
Original post by elliemayxo
Personally, I don't like it at all. I think it sounds rough and common. And all this about people who swear being more clever, absolute rubbish. Clever people don't need to use vulgar language to get their point across.

F*ck owf m8 you f*king c*nt I'll deck you rite now, wut do u meen "Rough and common" u f*king c*nt f*cker.
Reply 6
Original post by Longshot700
So I was just watching (mum and her friend were watching it) sex pistols in concert on tv and that really messy looking guy was just constantly swearing and so aggressive.

There's a few people like that in my life who just swear so unnecessarily. I swear as well, quite badly sometimes but only in really angry moments, usually with technology or when people push me to my limits.

At the end of the day, I don't see a problem with large amounts of swearing. If you have a good command of the English language and you're not using it to fill in for missing vocabularly it's totally fine.

When we see words as 'off limits' we give them more power than they deserve. Swear words? Why does that even exist, why do we need to have seperate words to show that we are annoyed when the english language covers them well enough without them being there?
I think they are living the thuglyfe and they didn't choose to do so and people like you should be less judgmental, we can't all shop at waitrose mate and be buying mauled wine and herby potatoes, some of us are in the ghetto eating chicken and chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I swear quite a bit when I'm overly excited/worked up/upset. I try to restrict it to when I'm with friends though, I never swear in front of people I don't know, or in inappropriate situations. And I don't swear in an aggressive manner. It's just to emphasise what I'm saying.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite though because I don't like when other people swear. :getmecoat: Luckily I've never really dated or been friends with anyone who swears much. (Interestingly, in my experience, it's girls who swear more than guys).
Reply 9
I think it's pretty annoying. Depending how much though. I don't mind if someone is doing it just to be funny, and not so often, but if they are being aggressive then there really is no need for it. I couldn't take someone swearing at me seriously.
Original post by Treypound
I think they are living the thuglyfe and they didn't choose to do so and people like you should be less judgmental, we can't all shop at waitrose mate and be buying mauled wine and herby potatoes, some of us are in the ghetto eating chicken and chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the hell? People can't help what they can't afford but they can help swearing. I live on a council estate, just that swearing seems really classless and gives you a headache. Anyone can have manners, whether the most homeless or the most wealthiest.
It helps tolerate the pain in their life better.
What the hell? People can't help what they can't afford but they can help swearing. I live on a council estate, just that swearing seems really classless and gives you a headache. Anyone can have manners, whether the most homeless or the most wealthiest.

How does living on an council estate make you any more classy than those who swear? I live on one also but dont walk round pretending to be poster boy for Britain. Let people swear big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treypound
How does living on an council estate make you any more classy than those who swear? I live on one also but dont walk round pretending to be poster boy for Britain. Let people swear big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying living on a council estate makes you more classy. I'm saying not swearing/ manners makes you more classy.

It just makes you more genuine and more nice to be around. I'd never feel comfortable around someone who swears alot.

"poster boy for britain" hmm Dunno it sounds like you're trying to shoot down anyone who tries to improve how they present themselves.
Reply 14
who gives a faaack
why do you have any right to care about what words people use in a sentence as long as you can understand i see no problem
so pointless
F*ck owf m8 you f*king c*nt I'll deck you rite now, wut do u meen "Rough and common" u f*king c*nt f*cker.

I love it when you talk like that
Reply 16
I swear quite a lot, I don't care if people don't like it.
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. As long as they aren't swearing at me as in insult then I don't care about anyone swearing around me.
Im irish so it comes with the territory.

That being said, at times it really comes off as excessive
I don't give a ****.
This holier than thou mess. People are horrible in different ways. A bad person doesn't exclusively swear. You could have a clean mouth and a dirty mind or turn the cheek to the homeless or something.

Original post by elliemayxo

When have you heard this? I've heard literally the opposite.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest