The Student Room Group

Good first car?

jj
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
You lucky f*cker, I wish my dad was doing the same for me!

But anything like a Polo, Corsa, in fact why not get a Golf GTI that's a year or two old? A brilliant car, low insurance bracket, and you can get em less than £15k.
Original post by Wellzi

But anything like a Polo, Corsa, in fact why not get a Golf GTI that's a year or two old? A brilliant car, low insurance bracket, and you can get em less than £15k.

It's insurance group 29 - probably not ideal for a new driver...
VW Scirocco, you will have to get a 2 year old car for that price though.
Reply 4
Original post by shaymarriott
It's insurance group 29 - probably not ideal for a new driver...

For how fast it is, that's quite low, and he's not the one paying for the insurance anyway.
Reply 5
Get a much cheaper used Corsa or Fiesta and save yourself and your father some money. Save the new cars for when you've been driving properly for a bit longer. My first car was an old Corsa and I had a few scuffs on the tyres or bumps and scrapes on stupid things (My girlfriends gatepost when I was reversing). Glad I got all that out of the way in some cheap pile of crap rather than a new car I actually cared about looking after.
Reply 6
Original post by hihihihihi
VW Scirocco, you will have to get a 2 year old car for that price though.

insurance way too high
Reply 7
Original post by Wellzi

a gti is like 6k a year on insurance, i cant afford that
Reply 8
Original post by JordE
Get a much cheaper used Corsa or Fiesta and save yourself and your father some money. Save the new cars for when you've been driving properly for a bit longer. My first car was an old Corsa and I had a few scuffs on the tyres or bumps and scrapes on stupid things (My girlfriends gatepost when I was reversing). Glad I got all that out of the way in some cheap pile of crap rather than a new car I actually cared about looking after.

he offered to buy me a brand new one even when i asked for a 2010 polo £4k

im not too bothered about scratches, they are not noticeable unless you look hard, but thanks anyway
Reply 9
Fiesta or corsa for young drivers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by amoham
Fiesta or corsa for young drivers

Posted from TSR Mobile

all my friends have volkswagens i think fiesta's are ugly and corsa are too common
Reply 11
Yh I have mates with polos and corsas, I myself own an astra but I think that's out if the price bracket for a new one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamesd678
all my friends have volkswagens i think fiesta's are ugly and corsa are too common

How about a hyundai i20, kia picanto or peugeot 208.
I know hyundais have 5 year warranties and kias have 7 year warranties so thats worth bearing in mind as well.
Reply 13
Few of the 2015 Seats look quite good, polo's also good first cars but too small I find. Have you looked at the 1.4/1.6 golfs? With the ecoboost engines? Low insurance, quality car. New gen Peugeot is also good - the 208.
Reply 14
Also, I would advise against spending 15K on a first car. Its a lot of money and its your first car, after a year - the limiting factor being the insurance prices should be less of a factor which'll open up new options. Maybe get a cheaper car and ask him to try for something after your 1st NCB? Or you could buy a second hand car, and ask him to put the rest of the money towards the insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending