The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatnipGlows
Gutted I was rejected for exeter medicine because of my low As grades after just achieving A*AA at A-level. Oh well, let's hope I can transfer!

What were your AS grades if you don't mind me asking?? I thought they only look at predicted…
Congrats on those A level grades btw!!!
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
What were your AS grades if you don't mind me asking?? I thought they only look at predicted…
Congrats on those A level grades btw!!!

Well I'm a resitter, but they say they don't discriminate against resitters. I had BBDD in my a/s levels, then BBB in my A-levels. I then resat my final year. Thank you!
Original post by Dr. Django
Personally I think it would almost certainly be a wasted application with AAA, less so with A*AA but still risky.Getting into medical school is tough enough without handicapping yourself by applying somewhere where you have almost no chance of getting an interview. Look around and find other places where you have a better chance and then choose the 4 you like most (at least that is what I did)! Exeter is awesome but you've gotta be realistic, almost 70% of applicants get no offers from their 4 applications so you really need to make the most of each one.

Hmm, doesn't that make their resit policy seem odd?

Like many resitters, I'm stuck at A*AB. I'm resitting the B and hoping to be predicted an A*.

I'm wondering if that will count the same as someone who is predicted A*A*A since Exeter said that they consider resits at no disadvantage.
Just a quick note:
I'm a school leaver (I'm 18)
GCSE: 2A*, 7A
AS: ABBB
A2: ABBBa
UKCAT: 650 average
Offer: received yesterday for 2015 entry

This just shows that you don't need amazing grades, you only need to apply to your strengths :smile: don't get downhearted as you CAN apply to medicine, this just shows that it's possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Just a quick note:

This just shows that you don't need amazing grades, you only need to apply to your strengths :smile: don't get downhearted as you CAN apply to medicine, this just shows that it's possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you receive an offer from Exeter medical school?
Reply 2065
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Just a quick note:

Posted from TSR Mobile

An offer with ABB where at?
Reply 2066
Hi!
Im a bit confused as too whether or not i should apply to Exeter. I have achieved A*AA for my A-levels but got in the low 600's for my UKCAT. i have been reading through the thread and saw how it is unlikely i would get an interview with the low UKCAT but then looking at these stats https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti_9 people with low UKCAT have been called to interview.
Thanks for any advice in advance!
Original post by Y.M.
Hi!
Im a bit confused as too whether or not i should apply to Exeter. I have achieved A*AA for my A-levels but got in the low 600's for my UKCAT. i have been reading through the thread and saw how it is unlikely i would get an interview with the low UKCAT but then looking at these stats https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti_9 people with low UKCAT have been called to interview.

From what I've read, your A Level Results will put you in Band 2, however you may just be offered an interview for the reserve list based on your UKCAT score. UKCAT usually updates the average scores for each section so I would keep track of that, as long as your getting above the average score then there is still a chance. Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Reply 2068
Original post by Y.M.
Hi!

Hey.. Based on my experience I would strongly advise you not to apply to Exeter.. They only start to consider applicants with two A*s and A no matter what they say on their website or what admission staff promise on phone...and with your ukcat score I'm afraid you may eventually end up at reserve list.. if you are lucky.. Please reconsider your options so not to waste a valued option..thankfully I had two offers eventually and I'm off to Norwich..,best of luck..
Reply 2069
Original post by Dralya
Hey.. Based on my experience I would strongly advise you not to apply to Exeter.. They only start to consider applicants with two A*s and A no matter what they say on their website or what admission staff promise on phone...and with your ukcat score I'm afraid you may eventually end up at reserve list.. if you are lucky.. Please reconsider your options so not to waste a valued option..thankfully I had two offers eventually and I'm off to Norwich..,best of luck..

Thank you, that has been helpful. Disappointed how they don't do what they say...as in considering applicants with 2A*'s and an A. Do you mind me asking what you got in your a levels and your UKCAT?
Reply 2070
Original post by Wackyboi123
From what I've read, your A Level Results will put you in Band 2, however you may just be offered an interview for the reserve list based on your UKCAT score. UKCAT usually updates the average scores for each section so I would keep track of that, as long as your getting above the average score then there is still a chance. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Yeah I've been trying to look for the average score but I don't think they have been published yet. Thank you anyway :smile:
Reply 2071
Original post by Y.M.
Thank you, that has been helpful. Disappointed how they don't do what they say...as in considering applicants with 2A*'s and an A. Do you mind me asking what you got in your a levels and your UKCAT?

A* AA and 710..I ended up in 'second' reserve list with Exeter..
Good luck
Hey guys, I got a UKCAT score of 645, and at AS (I did 5), I got AAABC. At A2 I will be predicted either AAA or A*AA. Would you guys think these stats could get me an interview? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by swiftab97
Hey guys, I got a UKCAT score of 645, and at AS (I did 5), I got AAABC. At A2 I will be predicted either AAA or A*AA. Would you guys think these stats could get me an interview? Thanks :biggrin:

Honestly for Exeter I would guess that your UKCAT may end up a little low (although I haven't sent the final decile scores for this year) and you would almost certainly need A*A*A predictions for a 'definite' interview at Exeter (maybe A*AA for Plymouth though?) unless your school is on the list for contextual offers...
Original post by Dr Gin
Honestly for Exeter I would guess that your UKCAT may end up a little low (although I haven't sent the final decile scores for this year) and you would almost certainly need A*A*A predictions for a 'definite' interview at Exeter (maybe A*AA for Plymouth though?) unless your school is on the list for contextual offers...

Ahh that's what I was afraid of -.-
According to last years I would have been in the 7th decile (and I suspect the deciles won't change by much this year). But I was afraid my predictions would have to be higher :frown: I can definitely get a prediction of A*AA, but maybe not A*A*A. Will probably look at Plymouth then :smile:
Original post by swiftab97
Ahh that's what I was afraid of -.-
According to last years I would have been in the 7th decile (and I suspect the deciles won't change by much this year). But I was afraid my predictions would have to be higher :frown: I can definitely get a prediction of A*AA, but maybe not A*A*A. Will probably look at Plymouth then :smile:

Talk to your teachers soon about predictions. If Exeter and Plymouth follow last year's admissions schedule (and they may very well not) then most people needed a prediction of A*A*A for interview but got an offer conditional on A*AA for Exeter and needed a prediction of A*AA for interview but then the offer was AAA for Plymouth.

Bear in mind there is possibly nothing more heartbreaking in the world of UCAS than getting an offer for medicine and then missing the grades :frown: so aim to be as realistic as you can with the actual likely offer (even if the prediction is possibly slightly inflated)

Good luck!
Original post by Dr Gin
Talk to your teachers soon about predictions. If Exeter and Plymouth follow last year's admissions schedule (and they may very well not) then most people needed a prediction of A*A*A for interview but got an offer conditional on A*AA for Exeter and needed a prediction of A*AA for interview but then the offer was AAA for Plymouth.

Bear in mind there is possibly nothing more heartbreaking in the world of UCAS than getting an offer for medicine and then missing the grades :frown: so aim to be as realistic as you can with the actual likely offer (even if the prediction is possibly slightly inflated)

Good luck!

Oh right thanks for explaining it quite clearly :smile: You're definitely right about making sure I can actually meet my predicted grades! Going through that whole journey and not meeting the grades right at the end must be so awful :frown:
It does annoy me how they misled people last year concerning A* grades though, I can't imagine how frustrated some were last year! And thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 2077
Does anyone know where you can find the list of schools down for contextual offers?
Original post by Y.M.
Does anyone know where you can find the list of schools down for contextual offers?

Not sure if this is a general list or specific to Bristol for some reason but maybe worth a peep...

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/contextual-offer-schools-2016.pdf
Hi, I was thinking about applying for Exeter but don't know what ukcat I need. I've achieved A*A*A* so what do I roughly need to get? Got the ukcat on Monday! If anyone could help would be really appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending