The Student Room Group

Should I swap my new&boxed MacBook Pro for a MacBook Air?

So I've been lucky enough to be gifted a MacBook Pro (2015 retina model; 260gb) from my dad, but I'm just wondering if id be better off swapping it for an Air for the sake of it's price. I'm a new uni student, hence the new laptop; lots of essays and documents, but I won't be doing anything fancy like programming. I bought it from abroad, so the laptop costed £955, which is cheaper than buying MacBook Air (260gb) in the UK. I believe te final deciding factor between the air&pro retina was Pro's amazing screen&speed, but now I'm wondering if I was being unncesarily extravagant.
I understand Mac Pro retina is a 'better' and advanced model, but I feel bad to think that it is a model that's unnecessary for uni students, hence making my dad spend abit more than he would've done with purchasing an air. If I swapped to air, he would get an x amount of refund. Also, does the weight difference between two models make a massive difference interms of portability? (Air < pro retina is 0.3kg heavier)
Any advice would be appreciated!

P.s so the main problem is the price & not using it to Mac Pro's full potential.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, I prefer the macbookpro over the air. Really dont see the point.
Are you on crack? If your going to get an Air just get a windows ultrabook.
Reply 3
Keep the pro by all means, it's a beautiful machine
Original post by avocadojam
So I've been lucky enough to be gifted a MacBook Pro (2015 retina model; 260gb) from my dad, but I'm just wondering if id be better off swapping it for an Air for the sake of it's price. I'm a new uni student, hence the new laptop; lots of essays and documents, but I won't be doing anything fancy like programming. I bought it from abroad, so the laptop costed £955, which is cheaper than buying MacBook Air (260gb) in the UK. I believe te final deciding factor between the air&pro retina was Pro's amazing screen&speed, but now I'm wondering if I was being unncesarily extravagant.
I understand Mac Pro retina is a 'better' and advanced model, but I feel bad to think that it is a model that's unnecessary for uni students, hence making my dad spend abit more than he would've done with purchasing an air. If I swapped to air, he would get an x amount of refund. Also, does the weight difference between two models make a massive difference interms of portability? (Air < pro retina is 0.3kg heavier)
Any advice would be appreciated!

P.s so the main problem is the price & not using it to Mac Pro's full potential.

How much money will you save if you exchange the Pro for the Air? Unless it's a significant amount I would not even consider it, the Pro is better in every possible metric in exchange for a negligible size and weight increase- it's still slimmer and lighter than most conventional laptops. Unless you really need whatever cash you'll get from making the switch it's not worth getting rid of the superior machine.
So I've been lucky enough to be gifted a MacBook Pro ...

I agree with the people above (Gofre especially). And don't worry, you'll have that mac for more than 3 years. You don't know what will happen in 3 years. Maybe you DO want to start learning programming? And that's just one example. There is also gaming and many other areas where the pro is far more superior than the air.
Reply 6
Keep the pro. There's rumours that apple will refresh the air soon. The current air is on previous gen processors and doesn't have retina displays or the new trackpad.
Reply 8
Original post by Hedgehogkilla
Keep the pro. There's rumours that apple will refresh the air soon. The current air is on previous gen processors and doesn't have retina displays or the new trackpad.

Air will be discontinued within a year, with the new MacBook replacing it. Keep the Pro.
Reply 9
Of course you should stick with the Pro! If you were that lucky to have one, then just stick with it! My mom has a Macbook Air, and it's great and all - super light, the trackpad is amazing, but the Pro just knocks its socks off. The Pro is far more superior in everything, the retina display, and whole load of others.

The Macbook Air is significantly lighter than the Pro, but I don't see why this should be a deal breaker. It may be lighter, but the capabilities on the machine are more limited.
Reply 10
Thanks for the answer!:smile:
Id be saving £120, which is significantly less than the price difference of pro ret&air in the UK. So do you think it'll be suitable for carrying around?
Thank you in advance!
Id be saving £120, which is significantly less than the price difference of pro ret&air in the UK. So do you think it'll be suitable for carrying around?
Thank you in advance!

I don't think £120 is worth sacrificing the power and functionality of the Retina Pro for, and yes, it's completely suited to carrying around.
Reply 12
You might save money in the short run, but the extra power and processing ability will simply outweigh this in the long run. For what it's worth, the opportunity cost isn't justifiable in this case, since you might be foregoing saved time and stress in exchange for a relatively small refund to your Dad.
Thank you in advance!

Not worth it at all, you'd be better off sticking with a better laptop for the next few years instead of saving a tiny bit of cash now. Like others have said, the Retina Pro is not really heavier or bulkier than the air, so it's just as portable.
pro one has retina screen while air doesn't one, so the answer is a big no UNLESS you really prefer light weight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending