The Student Room Group

Exceeded my Cambridge offer, but missed my place (THANKS EDEXCEL)

This is a massive rant because I'm pissed off and upset.

I had an offer from Cambridge (Kings, MML) for A*AA, with the A* in any subject. On results day I missed my offer, and got A*AB (B in History) - I put in for some remarks and Cambridge said I could attend if I met my offer before 31st of August.

Some came back before that time, and by the 31st I had A*A*B. I was still waiting on my History coursework remoderation; for the first time in my teachers career, it had been moderated down, by 2 grades, for something that wasn't on the mark scheme. I got the remoderation back on Thurday - it had gone up 18 marks. In fact, all of my school's History CW went back up exactly to where my teacher had put us in the first place. So now I had A*A*A, and contacted King's, but they couldn't fit me in because it was past the deadline and they had allocated all the spaces.

So maybe if Edexcel hadn't ****ed up in the first place, or if they hadn't taken 3 weeks to remoderate 3 candidates coursework, or if they hadn't posted everything to do with it each step (slowing things down), I would have a place at Cambridge this year.

EDIT: some people have said not to blame Cambridge etc - I don't! Obviously I wish they had been slightly more flexible and could have magically created an extra room for me or something. But, I blame the exam board lol

EDIT 2 yh: to save you all the time of reading to the end - I have a deferred place at King's now! it's crazy how much attention this thread got, looking back from a place w much less teen angst it's kind of embarrassing in a way but oh well! let this serve as a cautionary tale or something...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ouch brah
I can actually feel a tear forming in my eye. Hope things work out for you :smile:
Reply 3
Any way of getting into the pool or something?
Reply 4
Original post by Elcano
Any way of getting into the pool or something?

I mean, I assume it's closed? And besides, I don't know how i would get into it.
Holy **** that is extremely sad. Not much that I can say but good luck on whatever you do next. Really that's just messed up.
Reply 6
Original post by elaras
I mean, I assume it's closed? And besides, I don't know how i would get into it.

Well... did you ask? Anything? It's not like you've got anything to lose...
That is just horrible and so unjust.

Maybe write to your local MP or something (saw someone mention this in another thread iirc).

Stay positive though, you'll be great wherever you go! :h:
Reply 8
this is possibly the saddest thing I've ever read on TSR I'm so sorry for you

definitely speak to an admissions tutor at your college, ask about deferred entry or anything, really really stress your situation because that so unfair man

really hope things work out for you
Ask for a deferred place.
Original post by elaras

I had an offer from Cambridge (Kings, MML) for A*AA, with the A* in any subject. On results day I missed my offer, and got A*AB (B in History) - I put in for some remarks and Cambridge said I could attend if I met my offer before 31st of August.

Some came back before that time, and by the 31st I had A*A*B. I was still waiting on my History coursework remoderation; for the first time in my teachers career, it had been moderated down, by 2 grades, for something that wasn't on the mark scheme. I got the remoderation back on Thurday - it had gone up 18 marks. In fact, all of my school's History CW went back up exactly to where my teacher had put us in the first place. So now I had A*A*A, and contacted King's, but they couldn't fit me in because it was past the deadline and they had allocated all the spaces.

So maybe if Edexcel hadn't ****ed up in the first place, or if they hadn't taken 3 weeks to remoderate 3 candidates coursework, or if they hadn't posted everything to do with it each step (slowing things down), I would have a place at Cambridge this year.

Where are you going to go now, hopefully you can do good in your first year and apply to a better university.(Transfer)
Reply 11
Original post by elaras

That's harsh but can't they offer you a deferred place for next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elaras

I'm so sorry to hear this, I really do feel sad for you. Have Cambridge offered you any advice on what to do next? Have they offered a place next year or mentioned this as an option for you?
see if you can defer your place, or reapply next year (i know a few people who have not got in so took a year out to reapply and got in) good luck!
Sorry to hear that. But DO call the admissions tutor at your College: these things are not set in stone. Take a deep breath, remember that it's not their fault, be as supplicatory as you can - and maybe, just maybe, they will be able to squeeze you in. Do it today! Also check on the Pool - this is still worth a try.

If they can't, then ask about a deferred place: you have the grades, you obviously impressed them at interview, so all it would mean would be hanging about for a year - during which you could work, travel or whatever. What's a year, if you have Cambridge to look forward to?!

Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by dontargue
Sorry to hear that. But DO call the admissions tutor at your College: these things are not set in stone. Take a deep breath, remember that it's not their fault, be as supplicatory as you can - and maybe, just maybe, they will be able to squeeze you in. Do it today! Also check on the Pool - this is still worth a try.

If they can't, then ask about a deferred place: you have the grades, you obviously impressed them at interview, so all it would mean would be hanging about for a year - during which you could work, travel or whatever. What's a year, if you have Cambridge to look forward to?!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've actually already contacted Admissions - I did so on Thursday, and the officer (?? i think) liaised with the tutor, who emailed today saying there's nothing they can do as it's passed the deadline. I think my school is contacting them about deferred entry now.
Also guys, you can't just have a look in the pool...
Reply 17
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Also guys, you can't just have a look in the pool...

Yeah, I thought this - p sure you get put in it on results day? Which I didn't, soo....
Reply 18
But yeah, this whole thing has been really upsetting because it wasn't really my fault? If my remarks had come back unchanged I could have kind of been like "oh well, I ****ed up, I need to learn from this and work really hard at the next thing", but... they didn't? It just feels like I put in so much work, and did so much, but none of it even mattered because ultimately it all went wrong because of the bureaucratic mistake of a totally random stranger.
Wow I feel really bad for you I hope it all works out. If I were in your position then I'd want to sue Edexcel. :|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending