The Student Room Group

Muslims - would you date a non-Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, and I have done so in the past.
Religion shouldn't come in the way of stuff like that IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am. But he's converting so I'm pretty chill about it.
Original post by gr8wizard10
already am

You're dating a non muslim :eek: repent now bro
Original post by HAnwar
Idk. You would have to speak to a scholar about that. You can't marry a non Muslim.

Sigh...its so complicated, but no one really understands. They just state: Oh you can't do that. I doubt a muslim guy from a 'traditional' muslim family would even want to marry me, despite myself being more religious than some hijabi's I know. Its all so superficial...
Reply 44
Original post by ammmauk
if u dont have atleast 5 children wrby you're either white or traitor

I maybe both :eek:
Original post by HAnwar
Idk. You would have to speak to a scholar about that. You can't marry a non Muslim.

Additionally, I wouldnt feel right trying to pressure someone into converting. If they did just for the sake of getting married to me, to me that wouldn't be an actual conversion.
Original post by Indeterminate
Yes, and I have done so in the past.
Religion shouldn't come in the way of stuff like that IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easy to say when you are a male....
Find it really weird how men are allowed to marry non muslims (if they are christians an jews) but not women.

Also rather curious about the whole non dating thing? Is it literally no dating at all (aka marrying an acquaintance?) or do you have to spend time with family around (I presume at the least male members of the womans family?).

I personally think I would struggle massively to get to truly know someone in that environment. Especially seeing a persons language style and topics change drastically away from close family members or friends. Mind you seeing I'm white english, so I suppose horses for courses and all that.
Original post by Anonymous
Easy to say when you are a male....

Well, the same applies for my sister. In my family everyone has equal rights.

However, I understand that a lot of Muslim families are very unfair to their female members, which is just plain wrong.
Well, the same applies for my sister. In my family everyone has equal rights.

However, I understand that a lot of Muslim families are very unfair to their female members, which is just plain wrong.

Your muslim parents would allow your sister to date and marry and non -muslim?
Your muslim parents would allow your sister to date and marry and non -muslim?

Yes.
Reply 51
Sigh...its so complicated, but no one really understands. They just state: Oh you can't do that. I doubt a muslim guy from a 'traditional' muslim family would even want to marry me, despite myself being more religious than some hijabi's I know. Its all so superficial...

I'm sure you'll find someone in time :smile:
If a muslim is dating then they're not practising whether they're dating a muslim or non muslim. Tbh I wouldn't date anyone, when someone is interested he can come marry me.
Reply 53
Additionally, I wouldnt feel right trying to pressure someone into converting. If they did just for the sake of getting married to me, to me that wouldn't be an actual conversion.

Yeah that's true.
Yes.

what kind of religion do you follow again bruh?
Heck no, how does that even work, I wouldn't even date a Muslim boy
Original post by DanB1991
Find it really weird how men are allowed to marry non muslims (if they are christians an jews) but not women.

Also rather curious about the whole non dating thing? Is it literally no dating at all (aka marrying an acquaintance?) or do you have to spend time with family around (I presume at the least male members of the womans family?).

I personally think I would struggle massively to get to truly know someone in that environment. Especially seeing a persons language style and topics change drastically away from close family members or friends. Mind you seeing I'm white english, so I suppose horses for courses and all that.

yh if you want to "date" then it has to be with the intention that you want to eventually get married so you're getting to know them. Usually people see characteristics in that person which they don't like so they break it off. But you need someone with you so like your brother or sister or whatever. Its not really dating more like pre-engagement. So if you are in love and whatnot you get engaged if you're bored or disinterested you don't.
what kind of religion do you follow again bruh?

What does that even mean?
As far as I'm concerned, religion is all about belief and doing good things. It should not defy common sense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hajar4eva
yh if you want to "date" then it has to be with the intention that you want to eventually get married so you're getting to know them. Usually people see characteristics in that person which they don't like so they break it off. But you need someone with you so like your brother or sister or whatever. Its not really dating more like pre-engagement. So if you are in love and whatnot you get engaged if you're bored or disinterested you don't.

So basically dating then with a third wheel? And with a very short timespan until engagement/marriage?

It's weird thinking how this works for me :laugh: I guess normally it is a person you have already known for a while? Aka family friend or someone from school?
Original post by HAnwar
I'm sure you'll find someone in time :smile:

aye sister HAwar are you going to marry a non-muslim? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending