The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Offer Holder (2015 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Anybody in the Statistics Dept might be able to help me out here, is this the diagnostic test we have to do? http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/newstudent/diagnostic/

Only, the link to get you there is through 'New Student Information 2014' so I'm not sure if it's out of date or not.

Cheers.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Sophia-1996
Yeah! But it's also on the 'Welcome' website too somewhere, I think...
Haha doesn't matter much. If you need as much time as possible then I'd advise to look at the time frame in which you arrive at Warwick (on the 3rd) (booklet) and arrive early on.
BA Classical Civilisation! :smile: You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My surname begins with M so I need to arrive on the Sunday.

I'm going to do MEng General Engineering
Original post by Disney0702

Arrive on Saturday if you would prefer - might be nicer to be there early. It's only a very loose guideline :smile:

Original post by jrs971
Arrive on Saturday if you would prefer - might be nicer to be there early. It's only a very loose guideline :smile:

This. You get first dibs on cupboard and fridge space as well. You can choose a shelf in the fridge that won't have stuff from everyone elses shelves dripping down on to.
Original post by jrs971

Ah yh! I defo I wanna come on Sarurday, I just assumed that they may be strict about that kind of thing. I'll just call them up and ask if its okay, shouldn't see why it'll be a big deal.

Are you coming on Saturday?
Original post by brittanna
This. You get first dibs on cupboard and fridge space as well. You can choose a shelf in the fridge that won't have stuff from everyone elses shelves dripping down on to.

OH MY! You literally just convinced me to come as early as frigging possible on Saturday! Honestly didn't even think of calling dibs on fridge/cupboard space!

One thing I'm afraid of is if people start to steal food, I hear that happens in certain accommodations at Warwick!
Ah yh! I defo I wanna come on Sarurday, I just assumed that they may be strict about that kind of thing. I'll just call them up and ask if its okay, shouldn't see why it'll be a big deal.

Are you coming on Saturday?

I'm a third year, and my surname is R but I came Saturday. They absolutely do not check - wouldn't even worry about ringing!

I've never had people steal food really. Maybe some milk or something but not really loads. I kept non-perishable stuff in my room (some anyway), if not to just save space
OH MY! You literally just convinced me to come as early as frigging possible on Saturday! Honestly didn't even think of calling dibs on fridge/cupboard space!

One thing I'm afraid of is if people start to steal food, I hear that happens in certain accommodations at Warwick!

You don't really want the cupboards directly behind the door, or in areas of the kitchen where there will be lots of people (kettle, sink etc.).

I've never really had problems with people stealing my food. Using my equipment (without my permission) and often not washing it up on the other hand...

I also know someone who basically ended up having to store all their food in drawers as there wasn't enough space. I would definitely recommend getting there as early as possible. And you really don't need to worry about ringing. It's just a suggestion so that not everyone comes on the same day and it doesn't get too busy.
(edited 8 years ago)
You don't really want the cupboards directly behind the door, or in areas of the kitchen where there will be lots of people (kettle, sink etc.).

I've never really had problems with people stealing my food. Using my equipment (without my permission) and often not washing it up on the other hand...

I also know someone who basically ended up having to store all their food in drawers as there wasn't enough space. I would definitely recommend getting there as early as possible. And you really don't need to worry about ringing. It's just a suggestion so that not everyone comes on the same day and it doesn't get too busy.

But I thought you could only collect your university card on the day allotted to you?
Anybody still not had their welcome pack through the post?
Original post by CantonHero
But I thought you could only collect your university card on the day allotted to you?

No, they're all ready from Saturday. It is nothing more than a guideline sentence on a piece of paper, and is checked no where else :smile:
Original post by jrs971
I'm a third year, and my surname is R but I came Saturday. They absolutely do not check - wouldn't even worry about ringing!

I've never had people steal food really. Maybe some milk or something but not really loads. I kept non-perishable stuff in my room (some anyway), if not to just save space

Ah well in that case I'm not gonna ring at all! :u:

Yh i think I'm gonna keep most stuff in my room.

Was it difficult to find accommodation after first year?

What course do you study?

Thank you! That was really great advice!

Which accommodation did you stay at and what course do you study?
Original post by jrs971
No, they're all ready from Saturday. It is nothing more than a guideline sentence on a piece of paper, and is checked no where else :smile:

You sure on this? Because if you're wrong, then it causes a predicament.
Thank you! That was really great advice!

Which accommodation did you stay at and what course do you study?

I stayed at Westwood (one of the four larger blocks) and I study Maths, going into my third year.

Which accommodation have you applied for, and what are you going to study?
Ah well in that case I'm not gonna ring at all! :u:

Yh i think I'm gonna keep most stuff in my room.

Was it difficult to find accommodation after first year?

What course do you study?

I had a snack box in my room haha. And no not really. The hardest part is deciding who to live with really :tongue: I do biomedical science, going into my third year and stayed in Westwood. There's plenty of houses to choose from. If you leave it until very late you may not end up with the nicest place, but there's plenty of choice either way!

Original post by CantonHero
You sure on this? Because if you're wrong, then it causes a predicament.

Yes. As I say, I came on Saturday and still collected my card the same day. Contact the Uni if you want official confirmation :wink:
I stayed at Westwood (one of the four larger blocks) and I study Maths, going into my third year.

Which accommodation have you applied for, and what are you going to study?

I'm going to study General Engineering. I've applied to Westwood, Cryfield, Rootes and I cannot remember the others. I'm still waiting to hear from them about which one I'm getting.

Did you find it difficult to find accommodation after first year?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going to study General Engineering. I've applied to Westwood, Cryfield, Rootes and I cannot remember the others. I'm still waiting to hear from them about which one I'm getting.

Did you find it difficult to find accommodation after first year?

If you put Westwood first, I'm fairly sure that's what you're going to get.

Do you mean in terms of finding people to live with, or actually finding a house?

If it's the first, then not really. You meet so many people, from your course, those you live with and people from societies that you're almost certainly going to find people that will want to live with you and you will want to live with. Finding a house also isn't usually that difficult, unless you're unreasonable with your demands. i.e. You want a massive en-suite house in north leam for £70 a week. Although, houses in Canley go fairly quickly so if you want to live there, I'd recommend looking fairly soon. Otherwise there's not really a problem, no. Obviously the nicest houses will go first. But we left ours quite late, and we found a house that we all really like. You should remember that you don't have to go through warwick accommodation, and so you're not limited to just those houses.
If you put Westwood first, I'm fairly sure that's what you're going to get.

Do you mean in terms of finding people to live with, or actually finding a house?

If it's the first, then not really. You meet so many people, from your course, those you live with and people from societies that you're almost certainly going to find people that will want to live with you and you will want to live with. Finding a house also isn't usually that difficult, unless you're unreasonable with your demands. i.e. You want a massive en-suite house in north leam for £70 a week. Although, houses in Canley go fairly quickly so if you want to live there, I'd recommend looking fairly soon. Otherwise there's not really a problem, no. Obviously the nicest houses will go first. But we left ours quite late, and we found a house that we all really like. You should remember that you don't have to go through warwick accommodation, and so you're not limited to just those houses.

I put Cryfield as my first preference.

I actually meant both, thanks so much for answering both questions :smile:
I'm so confused about freshers tickets. Is it best to buy them when they go out for sale (mid September??) or wait until we all get there? I don't want to find out that all the tickets have gone

Quick Reply

Latest