The Student Room Group

which subject? physics or french

Hi i don't know whether to do physics or french at A2

i got CDEE in my AS with no work at all, which i seriously regret if you're wondering (C spanish, D maths, E physics and chemistry)

i have dropped chem and am not sure whether to continue A2 physics and work super hard and redo As exams as well to hope to get and A/B overall,

or take up AS and A2 french instead as i am near fluent in french and would easily be able to get an A if not an A* overall (whilst still doing the spanish and maths)

i know doing physics would be hard but i've always wanted to do a course which is physics based at uni, but now i'm not sure whether a langauage option is best, as i knowC isn't great but with some work i could pull that up next year to atleast an A (i'm redoing both spansih AS exams). If i started doing revision now for physics would that be achievable? but would any uni's give me offers for a physics based course anyway? i could always go through clearing?

my long term plans are to go into investment banking, so i wouldn't even need to do physics, but it is a course which a lot of people who go into investment banking do?

please help?? physics or french?
My school don't let students study to A2 with an E at AS so I guess you're lucky you can do that. Ultimately it comes down to what you think you can achieve, do you think you could pull that physics grade up, while redoing some AS exams and A2 exams, to me that seems like a lot of work but it depends on your work ethic, could you fit that all in?
I don't do any science based subjects but I know from friends that it is hard to do and can be very stressful. If you don't need to do physics for your dream career then there's not much point in doing it? Doing French sounds as if it will give you a lot of UCAS points and a good grade and if you're fluent in it then that's great. Really it's down to you and what you think you can achieve.
Reply 2
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
My school don't let students study to A2 with an E at AS so I guess you're lucky you can do that. Ultimately it comes down to what you think you can achieve, do you think you could pull that physics grade up, while redoing some AS exams and A2 exams, to me that seems like a lot of work but it depends on your work ethic, could you fit that all in?
I don't do any science based subjects but I know from friends that it is hard to do and can be very stressful. If you don't need to do physics for your dream career then there's not much point in doing it? Doing French sounds as if it will give you a lot of UCAS points and a good grade and if you're fluent in it then that's great. Really it's down to you and what you think you can achieve.

yeah, it took a lot for them to let me do physics.
i do think that i could if i really tried my hardest, but i'm scared that i'll get even a C and i'll regret it so badly cos that's not good enough for the universities i'd ideally want to go to (UCL etc) taking french would just take some much pressure off and i could focus more on getting spanish and maths up higher. thank you, i think i am leaning more towards french but i'll shall see
Good luck with whatever you do and I hope you get offers to the universities you apply to! :smile:
Reply 4
To go from a E to a A/B is not easy, it's doable, but you'll have to work very hard. If you want to do Physics at uni you would have to rely on your teacher giving you a prediction of at least a C. My teachers wouldn't even go up a single grade for me when predicting A-level from AS.

EDIT: UCL are asking for AAA with mathematics on thier website.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by S27
To go from a E to a A/B is not easy, it's doable, but you'll have to work very hard. If you want to do Physics at uni you would have to rely on your teacher giving you a prediction of at least a C. My teachers wouldn't even go up a single grade for me when predicting A-level from AS.

EDIT: UCL are asking for AAA with mathematics on thier website.

If i started revision now for my AS retakes and kept on top of my A2 work i reckon i'd be able to get atleast a B if not an A, i'm so much more motivated to do well this year as well, i know that i didn't work nearly enough last year. But I don't know if it is too much of a risk to take physics, i've always wanted to do something physics/maths based (aerospace engineering in a dream world),
thank you though
Reply 6
Just incase you're wondering, I've decided to do French as I think a better grade in french will be worth more than a lower one in physics! Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest