The Student Room Group

Exceeded my Cambridge offer, but missed my place (THANKS EDEXCEL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elaras
But yeah, this whole thing has been really upsetting because it wasn't really my fault? If my remarks had come back unchanged I could have kind of been like "oh well, I ****ed up, I need to learn from this and work really hard at the next thing", but... they didn't? It just feels like I put in so much work, and did so much, but none of it even mattered because ultimately it all went wrong because of the bureaucratic mistake of a totally random stranger.

You have every right to be angry.

You should sue them for the amount required to fund your gap year!
I'm so sorry man :frown:
I presume you should automatically be offered a deferred place?
Original post by elaras
This is a massive rant because I'm pissed off and upset.

I had an offer from Cambridge (Kings, MML) for A*AA, with the A* in any subject. On results day I missed my offer, and got A*AB (B in History) - I put in for some remarks and Cambridge said I could attend if I met my offer before 31st of August.

Some came back before that time, and by the 31st I had A*A*B. I was still waiting on my History coursework remoderation; for the first time in my teachers career, it had been moderated down, by 2 grades, for something that wasn't on the mark scheme. I got the remoderation back on Thurday - it had gone up 18 marks. In fact, all of my school's History CW went back up exactly to where my teacher had put us in the first place. So now I had A*A*A, and contacted King's, but they couldn't fit me in because it was past the deadline and they had allocated all the spaces.

So maybe if Edexcel hadn't ****ed up in the first place, or if they hadn't taken 3 weeks to remoderate 3 candidates coursework, or if they hadn't posted everything to do with it each step (slowing things down), I would have a place at Cambridge this year.

Can't you just reapply for next year?!
That's really ****ty.
I'd consider deferring - if you can get a few jobs in a year out, not only will you have a spare bit of money but it'll look great on your CV when you graduate as you'll have a tonne of extra skills to boost your application for a job or further study.
If deferring isn't for you, no matter what university you study at, your hard work will ALWAYS pay off and shine through - I've been applying for Masters, and unis don't seem to care where you did your undergrad, so long as you clearly worked hard at it. Try and see if you can get into a top 10 university in your subject field. Trust me, you'll still have the time of your life, even if it isn't at Cambridge. :smile:
Probably a very very long shot, but is there any chance of asking the Kings admission tutor to asking around the other colleges, see if any of them have a space for the course? Other colleges will take the Kings admission tutor more seriously than if you rang up and asked. I suspect they'd all be full, but it's still worth trying, in case other colleges had more people fail to meet offers than they were expecting.
I'm not too knowledgeable about Uni processes so apologies if I sound stupid, but can you not arrange a meeting in person with an authoritative figure from Cambridge to discuss the problem? Clearly this isn't any of your fault and this type of problem will have massive influence on your future so could the Uni make any exceptions for your situation? It seems like this would be the only suitable response to this. You would be probably even be able to get proof from Edexcel.

I'm sorry this had to happen to you.
Original post by elaras
This is a massive rant because I'm pissed off and upset.

I had an offer from Cambridge (Kings, MML) for A*AA, with the A* in any subject. On results day I missed my offer, and got A*AB (B in History) - I put in for some remarks and Cambridge said I could attend if I met my offer before 31st of August.

Some came back before that time, and by the 31st I had A*A*B. I was still waiting on my History coursework remoderation; for the first time in my teachers career, it had been moderated down, by 2 grades, for something that wasn't on the mark scheme. I got the remoderation back on Thurday - it had gone up 18 marks. In fact, all of my school's History CW went back up exactly to where my teacher had put us in the first place. So now I had A*A*A, and contacted King's, but they couldn't fit me in because it was past the deadline and they had allocated all the spaces.

So maybe if Edexcel hadn't ****ed up in the first place, or if they hadn't taken 3 weeks to remoderate 3 candidates coursework, or if they hadn't posted everything to do with it each step (slowing things down), I would have a place at Cambridge this year.

Is it possible to go for deferred entry next year?
Original post by RayApparently
Is it possible to go for deferred entry next year?

King's are obliged to offer you a deferred entry place if you met your offer & then can't fit you in this year. You don't have to reapply. I'm surprised they didn't explain that. And no wonder you are PO but brilliant results & well done.
Original post by Colmans
King's are obliged to offer you a deferred entry place if you met your offer & then can't fit you in this year. You don't have to reapply. I'm surprised they didn't explain that. And no wonder you are PO but brilliant results & well done.

Is that just to wording you've chosen or are you telling me that I don't have to reapply? :confused:

But anyway thats great news for the OP! :smile:
Original post by RayApparently
Is that just to wording you've chosen or are you telling me that I don't have to reapply? :confused:

But anyway thats great news for the OP! :smile:

Yes apologies, I quoted you not him. I do think he needs to clarify with them asap. It is obvious he had told them he was getting the re mark done before 31st August.
In any case it would be relatively rare for a 3A* person not to get an offer for MML post qual but I don't think he should have to reapply.
Fiddlesticks. Sorry to hear that. :console:
Reply 32
Original post by Colmans
Yes apologies, I quoted you not him. I do think he needs to clarify with them asap. It is obvious he had told them he was getting the re mark done before 31st August.
In any case it would be relatively rare for a 3A* person not to get an offer for MML post qual but I don't think he should have to reapply.

*she
but thanks! My school is looking into it I think, but I might email tomorrow anyway. Are you sure they have to ?
Original post by elaras
*she
but thanks! My school is looking into it I think, but I might email tomorrow anyway. Are you sure they have to ?

Yes Cambridge have to.

Other universities don't however.

Can I ask what languages you applied for? (not relevant to your position)
Why not ask one of the admissions tutors currently posting on this forum? Good luck!
Reply 35
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yes Cambridge have to.

Other universities don't however.

Can I ask what languages you applied for? (not relevant to your position)

Spanish and beginners Russian!
My AS Economics went up by 16 raw marks and English Lit 8 raw marks, happy with the A's but absolutely fuming for Edexcel putting me through all of this.

I really do hope you get into Cambridge if not this year, then atleast the next.

Sucks for people doing essay based subjects - can work and revise as hard as you possibly can and still not get guaranteed an A let alone an A* due to lazy examiners. Something has to be done about this.
Original post by Colmans

I'm afraid you're wrong. There is no obligation to offer deferred entry even if th OP had met the conditions by the 31 August deadline.

Usually they will to avoid bad press but they're under no obligation to do so.
Original post by PQ
I'm afraid you're wrong. There is no obligation to offer deferred entry even if th OP had met the conditions by the 31 August deadline.

Usually they will to avoid bad press but they're under no obligation to do so.

I know Cambridge guarantee an offer for that year if met before the 31st.

And after that date, they cannot guarantee for that year, but for deferred entry.

It isn't the case for all, but they've said that
Reply 39
But you still have A*A*A* Why not do some volunteering volunteering or something productive this year and then reapply next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending