The Student Room Group

What do you think of people who swear unnecessarily?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherie Amour
I don't give a ****.
This holier than thou mess. People are horrible in different ways. A bad person doesn't exclusively swear. You could have a clean mouth and a dirty mind or turn the cheek to the homeless or something.

When have you heard this? I've heard literally the opposite.

I always hear people saying it! I don't know where they get that idea from though.
Reply 21
love 'em
Original post by elliemayxo
I always hear people saying it! I don't know where they get that idea from though.

Surely you didn't take someone who said swearing is intelligent seriously to actually be fed up of hearing it...
Surely you didn't take someone who said swearing is intelligent seriously to actually be fed up of hearing it...

? People generally seem to think that people who swear alot are more intelligent, that's what alot of people around my area say anyway.
Reply 24
? People generally seem to think that people who swear alot are more intelligent, that's what alot of people around my area say anyway.

Haha my old English teacher said the exact same thing. He encouraged us to swear and he saw swearing as a form of art. True story xD
Original post by AzimH
Haha my old English teacher said the exact same thing. He encouraged us to swear and he saw swearing as a form of art. True story xD

Exactly! alot of people do generally think this. Personally, I don't agree. But each to their own.

Not to pry but what area is that? Area is quite irrelevant to common sense though. Normally it's, people who swear have limited vocabulary and are low class, thus, poorly educated.
Original post by AzimH

What is wrong with people? I have heard people being encouraged to use "****" (or the word for poo) more and more, to make it less appealing to use swear words. Your English teacher must have been a maverick or sarcastic.
Not to pry but what area is that? Area is quite irrelevant to common sense though. Normally it's, people who swear have limited vocabulary and are low class, thus, poorly educated.

Near Bristol, South West.

I don't think it's true, personally. I only swear if i'm either repeating what someone else has said or if i'm extremely angry, but never around my mum would I swear, or in public.

But like the other person on here who commented, even a teacher said that people tend to be more intelligent swear alot.. Bizzare.
Near Bristol, South West.

I don't think it's true, personally. I only swear if i'm either repeating what someone else has said or if i'm extremely angry, but never around my mum would I swear, or in public.

But like the other person on here who commented, even a teacher said that people tend to be more intelligent swear alot.. Bizzare.

I see. And ok, you disagree with swearing; I just wanted to know if you were being serious about the intelligence=swearing. That is...news.
Reply 30
What is wrong with people? I have heard people being encouraged to use "****" (or the word for poo) more and more, to make it less appealing to use swear words. Your English teacher must have been a maverick or sarcastic.

Haha nope. The man was an absolute genius. Best teacher I ever had and he literally would swear every minute.
I see. And ok, you disagree with swearing; I just wanted to know if you were being serious about the intelligence=swearing. That is...news.

Yes, I was serious when I said that people actually think that. But I don't.
Reply 32
They need to invest in a dictionary/thesaurus.
Original post by AzimH
Haha nope. The man was an absolute genius. Best teacher I ever had and he literally would swear every minute.

Yes, I was serious when I said that people actually think that. But I don't.

Does this mean people who don't swear are unintelligent?
Also intelligent and educated are different. Intelligent means you're clever without the need of education or tutelage. So in that regard, perhaps swearing does mean intelligent and I'd stand by having limited vocabulary and not being very educated.
Original post by Ndella
They need to invest in a dictionary/thesaurus.

Agreed.
If they swear constantly especially when unnecessary I will look down upon them.
Does this mean people who don't swear are unintelligent?
Also intelligent and educated are different. Intelligent means you're clever without the need of education or tutelage. So in that regard, perhaps swearing does mean intelligent and I'd stand by having limited vocabulary and not being very educated.

*Thumbs up*
Reply 37
I say the words **** and "f'ing hell" a lot, even say ****'s sake a lot. I really don't understand why my cousin sister who is 30 finds it so offensive. We were all raised differently, I'm just a lot more casual with my vocabulary. Whereas they were raised in a way that casual cursing is looked down upon.
Normally it's, people who swear have limited vocabulary and are low class, thus, poorly educated.

Rubbish. I know for a fact that a lot of middle class, well educated people swear like troopers.

I swear quite a bit more than the average person. My vocabulary certainly isn't limited, far from - in fact, I was urged by my English teacher to pursue a career in writing where I demonstrated a higher level of understanding of the English language and grammar than all of my classmates.

I see swearing as a form of expression. It can help express how passionate you feel about something. Telling someone you're "very angry" with them, for example, doesn't quite have the same impact as telling them you're "really ****ing angry" with them. Likewise, "so good" doesn't sound as brilliant as "****ing good" to me. Swearing is also thought to relieve stress, anger and pain acvording to studies :biggrin:

Those are my thoughts, you are mother****ing welcome :smile:
abit common

Quick Reply

Latest