The Student Room Group

Would you date a traditional guy?

Scroll to see replies

Hell no, when I move in with a guy/get married we're both going to be earning money and we'll both contribute to housework. Like someone already said, I may treat him to dinner and he might do the same - the fact that I have certain anatomy does not make me inferior or less than a human being.
Original post by saeed97
Na, its just not true.

You've obviously tickled my pickle, so you are mad baby :*
Reply 62
If my girlfriend ever has to work then I will have failed in my duty as a provider. People in traditional households are more likely to be happier and those with 'modern' marriages are more likely to get divorced, and it is pretty easy to see why. When both of you are getting stressed at work, hardly see one another, then the children need looking after, chores divided, that is a lot more stressful than one providing and one taking care of household affairs. You can still hold traditional gender roles whilst respecting and loving the person you are with.
Original post by Anonymous
This guy I was getting to know wanted me to be able to cook, clean and do all the house work chores when he is busy at work. Is this normal when a guy doesn't even want to his bit and help a girl out with the house work? He also wants a woman to be a wage earner so what do you make out of these men?

It's no different to the man being expected to paint, put things together, mow the grass etc.

As long as it isn't 100% and it's just most of it then it's fair

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by futurejournalist
the fact that I have certain anatomy does not make me inferior or less than a human being.

Are you saying women who stay at home are inferior and less than a human being? If so, what a disgrace. Women who stay at home in traditional households are no lesser than you or any other person on the planet. Get your head out of your arse. When a woman stays at home that home becomes her workplace. She maintains it and makes sure it is a nice place for people to visit. She ensures its well kept and takes pride in what she does. It is nothing to be ashamed of or looked down upon at all.
What do you think of a chap that doesn't mind being a house-husband? Or looking after children or doing all of the housework if needs be? I think that it really depends on both future career prospects of both individuals in the relationship (for instance, I don't mind working from home or part-time if my wife has a better paying job than me), and if I were to have children I would definitely not want to have to employ a nanny or a maid or suchlike just so both parents could work to have (or give their children) a more comfortable life but miss out on their children's childhood. The latter only comes but once, which is why I don't understand why some parents either have loads of children then struggle to provide for them, or just work like loons and then regret the fact that they have missed their children growing up.

As has been seen over the past few years with the economy in flux, anyone's employment status can change at any time. If I had a job and my wife did not, I would encourage her to get perhaps a part time job in the field of her dreams, and cut my own hours down a little to compensate, so that I could share the responsibility of looking after any young children we may have. Whilst nature has dictated that it is traditionally the female's role to physically have the child and nurture it, whilst a male must provide, running the home and caring for the child you have both had is a collective effort.

Both housework and cooking are ultimately gender neutral and need to be done, and whilst a woman is more likely to have accrued these skills growing up, a gentleman should have a working knowledge, be willing to learn and adapt, and be prepared to roll up his sleeves and put some elbow grease in without being asked. To colour with the same brush, I would at least expect my wife to be willing to do the same and/or be able to and know how to cook or clean (it is really not hard, I know how, I've taught myself and I can be bothered to do both and can do them well), even if she can't do it very well. Laziness is not a virtue, nor an excuse.

Just my tuppence. I can sew, learned to cook helping my mother as a child (reasonably well - I have a limited sense of smell and taste, so it's not bad...) [and I still do, FYI] and can follow recipes well (although I much prefer to invent stuff!), do DIY incredibly well, shop, can shoulder responsibility, can fix things, know technology well but prefer analogue, help my parents and siblings, have good morals and manners, am religious but not as much as I would like to be, don't swear, like well-brought-up children and have patience. I have never had a girlfriend as I am more than happy to wait for 'the one' [and don't mind being proactive about it after uni], and don't do drugs or drink or conduct in extramarital hokey-pokey any of that nonsense, because my body is a slightly podgy temple to share with the lady of my dreams, and I don't care what people think. I love cheese. I deplore anything non-vegetarian. And teh trolls can just slink back to their dank dungeons or rickety old bridges if they don't like it.
Original post by MiesVanDerRohe
What do you think of a chap that doesn't mind being a house-husband? Or looking after children or doing all of the housework if needs be? I think that it really depends on both future career prospects of both individuals in the relationship (for instance, I don't mind working from home or part-time if my wife has a better paying job than me), and if I were to have children I would definitely not want to have to employ a nanny or a maid or suchlike just so both parents could work to have (or give their children) a more comfortable life but miss out on their children's childhood. The latter only comes but once, which is why I don't understand why some parents either have loads of children then struggle to provide for them, or just work like loons and then regret the fact that they have missed their children growing up.

As has been seen over the past few years with the economy in flux, anyone's employment status can change at any time. If I had a job and my wife did not, I would encourage her to get perhaps a part time job in the field of her dreams, and cut my own hours down a little to compensate, so that I could share the responsibility of looking after any young children we may have. Whilst nature has dictated that it is traditionally the female's role to physically have the child and nurture it, whilst a male must provide, running the home and caring for the child you have both had is a collective effort.

Both housework and cooking are ultimately gender neutral and need to be done, and whilst a woman is more likely to have accrued these skills growing up, a gentleman should have a working knowledge, be willing to learn and adapt, and be prepared to roll up his sleeves and put some elbow grease in without being asked. To colour with the same brush, I would at least expect my wife to be willing to do the same and/or be able to and know how to cook or clean (it is really not hard, I know how, I've taught myself and I can be bothered to do both and can do them well), even if she can't do it very well. Laziness is not a virtue, nor an excuse.

Just my tuppence. I can sew, learned to cook helping my mother as a child (reasonably well - I have a limited sense of smell and taste, so it's not bad...) [and I still do, FYI] and can follow recipes well (although I much prefer to invent stuff!), do DIY incredibly well, shop, can shoulder responsibility, can fix things, know technology well but prefer analogue, help my parents and siblings, have good morals and manners, am religious but not as much as I would like to be, don't swear, like well-brought-up children and have patience. I have never had a girlfriend as I am more than happy to wait for 'the one' [and don't mind being proactive about it after uni], and don't do drugs or drink or conduct in extramarital hokey-pokey any of that nonsense, because my body is a slightly podgy temple to share with the lady of my dreams, and I don't care what people think. I love cheese. I deplore anything non-vegetarian. And teh trolls can just slink back to their dank dungeons or rickety old bridges if they don't like it.

House husband is fine too you just need to find the right balance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by william walker
They want to have their cake and eat it. If you are just in a relationship then this is fine, but once you have children the women must be their to look after the children. As in she can't work at all until the children are older like 14 plus, depending on the child. If you have more than one this could mean the wife wouldn't work for 20 years. I count women who have children then do part time jobs when they don't need to do so as selfish. My mother did this and I have always resented her for it. She did it because she would rather be working than at home with me. I don't have a good relationship with my mother because of it, I never feel loved by her, I don't respect her and I don't like her as a person.

Sorry but you sound kind of spoilt to me. Maybe you should think of all the things you can be grateful for or what you can give your mother rather than take, take, take. Plus you're an adult now so maybe try re-parenting yourself. You are privileged to come from a background where your mother didn't even have to work but chose to. The reality is that now society is built so that it very much takes two incomes to sustain a household and so that the government can tax two people one wage will hardly ever be enough especially for our up and coming generation. My mother worked part time for me and I love her for it I didn't have to suck on her breasts all day everyday.
Sorry but you sound kind of spoilt to me. Maybe you should think of all the things you can be grateful for or what you can give your mother rather than take, take, take. Plus you're an adult now so maybe try re-parenting yourself. You are privileged to come from a background where your mother didn't even have to work but chose to. The reality is that now society is built so that it very much takes two incomes to sustain a household and so that the government can tax two people one wage will hardly ever be enough especially for our up and coming generation. My mother worked part time for me and I love her for it I didn't have to suck on her breasts all day everyday.

William walker is a professional troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr JB
If my girlfriend ever has to work then I will have failed in my duty as a provider. People in traditional households are more likely to be happier and those with 'modern' marriages are more likely to get divorced, and it is pretty easy to see why. When both of you are getting stressed at work, hardly see one another, then the children need looking after, chores divided, that is a lot more stressful than one providing and one taking care of household affairs. You can still hold traditional gender roles whilst respecting and loving the person you are with.

Women are more likely to be depressed if they are stay-at-home mothers though.

Whatever.

No I haven't be spoiled at all. Just other people had crap parents around where I live. I was rather lucky that my parents were moral Protestants, they didn't smoke, drink or do drugs. However my mother always wanted to work and would leave my at home with my brother from age 7 on wards. My brother was as terrible brother to me. I just feel she abandoned me and didn't protect me at times.

So you mean the government has changed society? Just so you know I hate the government and seek to constrain its power, I blame is as an institution for all my problems.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nope.

I'm happy to cook, clean and look after kids, but I'm not gonna stay at home day in day out and do nothing but housework when I've done a degree and I want to work!
Whatever.

No I haven't be spoiled at all. Just other people had crap parents around where I live. I was rather lucky that my parents were moral Protestants, they didn't smoke, drink or do drugs. However my mother always wanted to work and would leave my at home with my brother from age 7 on wards. My brother was as terrible brother to me. I just feel she abandoned me and didn't protect me at times.

So you mean the government has changed society? Just so you know I hate the government and seek to constrain its power, I blame is as an institution for all my problems.

You sound incredibly naive and selfish.
You sound incredibly naive and selfish.

Sounds aren't always what they seem. :tongue:
Reply 74
Women are more likely to be depressed if they are stay-at-home mothers though.

That's because parenting is an intensive job and should never ever be regarded as lesser by anyone. The constant work involved with being a stay at home mum is demanding, whereas those in work often use daycare centres or relatives to ease the burden. In my opinion, a stay at home mum is the key to a healthy household and their contribution should never ever been undermined. Sadly, a lot of men are complete idiots and think a woman staying home does nothing and use this as a way to belittle them. These men are just a disgrace really and do not appreciate the hard work the woman they're with do. I bet a lot of that depression also comes from men undermining them and talking down to them as if they're nothing. This is the problem, not the staying at home.
This guy I was getting to know wanted me to be able to cook, clean and do all the house work chores when he is busy at work. Is this normal when a guy doesn't even want to his bit and help a girl out with the house work? He also wants a woman to be a wage earner so what do you make out of these men?

TSR will no doubt tell you he's a misogynist but actually I have some sympathy. I do like to cook and Hoover but I do want a woman that can clean and I'll also expect her to take a few years off while she spits out my kids before heading back to work.

Either find a guy who wants equality or accept that he wants you to be traditional.
I don't have mommy issues. I just don't like my mother as a person anymore because I have changed by political and religious views. She honestly has more of a problem with me wanting to become an Anglican than she does with my brother being immoral and irreligious. I tell her the same things over and over again and get the same answers. She doesn't think about what I say and improve herself to help me. She is a bit vapid to be honest.

In properly traditional households, respect for the mother is absolute and unquestioned. Just wanted to let you know that many of the more traditional and religious people of yesteryear would have severe problems with your lack of respect for your mother. Fundamental and deep disagreements, in their opinions, are not to be had within the traditional family unit - especially not with the maternal figure.
Original post by Mr JB
Are you saying women who stay at home are inferior and less than a human being? If so, what a disgrace. Women who stay at home in traditional households are no lesser than you or any other person on the planet. Get your head out of your arse. When a woman stays at home that home becomes her workplace. She maintains it and makes sure it is a nice place for people to visit. She ensures its well kept and takes pride in what she does. It is nothing to be ashamed of or looked down upon at all.

No, I'm saying that men shouldn't expect me to uphold traditional gender roles and be this submissive person just because I'm a woman. I am a feminist, therefore I maintain that women have a right to choose the lifestyle that they lead - if they are housewives because they choose to be then good for them. What I don't subscribe to is women becoming housewives when they don't want to, but are being pressured/forced into it by their husband/family/culture/religion.
If you think my head is up my arse because I'm willing to fight for gender equality then fine, it can stay there.

Work AND do domestic duties? Oh hell noooo
Reply 79
Original post by futurejournalist
No, I'm saying that men shouldn't expect me to uphold traditional gender roles and be this submissive person just because I'm a woman.

Men shouldn't be controlling. Well done on making something very basic an essay. Nobody should control what anyone else does regardless of the relationship between the two people. Live and let live. The prior comments were made because your initial comments were incredibly condescending towards women who may even opt to stay at home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending