The Student Room Group

Got a C in psycholgoy can I get it up to an A?

Is it possible to go from a C in as psychology to an A at a2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got an E in AS physics and brought it up to a B overall so yeh youve got a good chance, just revise a lot.
Reply 2
Original post by Kitty-meaw

Assuming Psychology follows the UMS% rule, it could be done

For a C, your percentage must be in the 60-70% range, so to bring this up to an A (80% overall), you'd need to average between 90% and 100% UMS on your A2 modules (depending on the AS%)...

Not easy. May be worth doing some retakes, or that's a lot of pressure to score very highly on the harder A2 exams...
Original post by saeed97
I got an E in AS physics and brought it up to a B overall so yeh youve got a good chance, just revise a lot.

with or w/o resits?
Reply 4
Original post by thecatwithnohat
with or w/o resits?

With resits lol, i had to do all 4 exams (both as&a2) in the same year because im such a disappointment
Original post by saeed97
With resits lol, i had to do all 4 exams (both as&a2) in the same year because im such a disappointment

It's more admirable that you got the grade under all that pressure, well done! :yep:
Reply 6
Original post by thecatwithnohat
It's more admirable that you got the grade under all that pressure, well done! :yep:

Thank you i really appreciate it :h:, im just quite disappointed that i was 4 ums points away from an A. so i sent it for remarking and now im just waiting to be told whether its gone up or stayed a B.
It depends on how low/high your C was. Have you considered resitting possibly one unit? I got a B in AS and I'm going to resit unit one to hopefully put that up to an A. If you don't fancy resits I think it is doable but it would require a lot of hard work and intense revision :smile:
Reply 8
I'm not a Psychology student but I think if you really put your mind to something you stand a good chance.
I did Bio at AS and had a D and found out our teacher didn't teach us the whole course (i had 100% attendance so missed lessons didn't not contribute). I asked my teacher on my Year 13 parents evening if it was possible to go from a D to a B and he was really horrible about it. He quoted some stat saying that "0.02% of students improve by 2 grades at A2". I told him to get lost and that I was going to be one of the 0.02%. Apparently that stat is rubbish.
What I'm trying to say is, if you really want to get that grade and you aren't afraid to seek the right support you'll do it! And even if you don't get the A, getting a B at A2 is such a big achievement from a C at AS that your uni may take you anyway! That's what happened to me.
Reply 9
Original post by Alexion
Assuming Psychology follows the UMS% rule, it could be done

For a C, your percentage must be in the 60-70% range, so to bring this up to an A (80% overall), you'd need to average between 90% and 100% UMS on your A2 modules (depending on the AS%)...

Not easy. May be worth doing some retakes, or that's a lot of pressure to score very highly on the harder A2 exams...

Yh, i got 60 on one of the units and 68 on the other one, so i'm going to retake the one i got 60 in :smile:

Low C or a high C? Are you retaking anything?
Original post by saeed97

wow, well done! and yes i definitely will this year :smile:
Reply 12
yes, I had a C in Economics AS and got an A overall. It's deffo possible but it requires hard work
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
It depends on how low/high your C was. Have you considered resitting possibly one unit? I got a B in AS and I'm going to resit unit one to hopefully put that up to an A. If you don't fancy resits I think it is doable but it would require a lot of hard work and intense revision :smile:

Yes, i'm going to resit my lowest unit, not sure how far of i was of a B though, cause i got 60 and 68 on the other one :smile: x
Original post by Xlxl23
yes, I had a C in Economics AS and got an A overall. It's deffo possible but it requires hard work

Hope is restored! Well done though :smile:Did you resit any modules?
Original post by lachachacha
Low C or a high C? Are you retaking anything?

I think a low C on one paper and high C on the other one, not too sure though, will have to ask casue i got 60 and 68 on the other one
Original post by Lau0711
I'm not a Psychology student but I think if you really put your mind to something you stand a good chance.
I did Bio at AS and had a D and found out our teacher didn't teach us the whole course (i had 100% attendance so missed lessons didn't not contribute). I asked my teacher on my Year 13 parents evening if it was possible to go from a D to a B and he was really horrible about it. He quoted some stat saying that "0.02% of students improve by 2 grades at A2". I told him to get lost and that I was going to be one of the 0.02%. Apparently that stat is rubbish.
What I'm trying to say is, if you really want to get that grade and you aren't afraid to seek the right support you'll do it! And even if you don't get the A, getting a B at A2 is such a big achievement from a C at AS that your uni may take you anyway! That's what happened to me.

wow, thank you so much and yes that's true, i hate when teachers put you down like that when they are there to teach and encourage and motivate you! :smile:
Yh, i got 60 on one of the units and 68 on the other one, so i'm going to retake the one i got 60 in :smile:

So you have 128 UMS and you need 320 from the four modules for an A

If you are keeping the 68 then you need 320 - 68 = 252 ums which means you need to average 84 on the three. .
I went from an E in AS Biology to a B in A2 overall.
I did one resit (there were three AS exams and I resat the exam with the largest percentage of the AS Grade)
I chose to sit in AS leasons for the unit I was resitting.
Reply 19
Hope is restored! Well done though :smile:Did you resit any modules?

I re-sat unit 1. Thanks, wish you all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest