The Student Room Group

Should I risk taking a GCSE subject that my school offers for the first time?

Hi I'm starting Year 10 in a week and I wish to make a change in my GCSE subject choice. Currently I have chosen History because I love it and I'm pretty good at it. However, I'm aiming for a Material Science course in the university so I don't think History would be beneficial for my future career.

Computer Science is a subject I can replace with and I think it will be more useful in the future (its syllabus is also very appealing to me) but it is the first year my school offer it. Furthermore, according to the statistics, my school (which I think is pretty decent as it is normally on the top 10 or 20 of the league tables) has a pretty mediocre ICT (which they no longer offer this year) result compared to other subjects. This makes me lose confidence in my school's computer and ICT department (I'm not sure whether they share teachers or not).

Could you guys give me an opinion about this? Should I take the risk or not? And sorry about the language as English isn't my first language. Thanks
Original post by Rek'Sa
Hi I'm starting Year 10 in a week and I wish to make a change in my GCSE subject choice. Currently I have chosen History because I love it and I'm pretty good at it. However, I'm aiming for a Material Science course in the university so I don't think History would be beneficial for my future career.

Computer Science is a subject I can replace with and I think it will be more useful in the future (its syllabus is also very appealing to me) but it is the first year my school offer it. Furthermore, according to the statistics, my school (which I think is pretty decent as it is normally on the top 10 or 20 of the league tables) has a pretty mediocre ICT (which they no longer offer this year) result compared to other subjects. This makes me lose confidence in my school's computer and ICT department (I'm not sure whether they share teachers or not).

Could you guys give me an opinion about this? Should I take the risk or not? And sorry about the language as English isn't my first language. Thanks

Your GCSE choices aren't going to have any influence on your university application for Materials Science. The universities you apply to probably won't even look at what subjects you took for GCSE as long as you fulfill the basic requirements, they'll just look at what grades you got. As long as you're taking double (or ideally, triple) science which will allow you to take Physics, Maths and Chemistry at A Level, you can choose whatever GCSEs you want.

If you think you'd enjoy Computer Science more than HIstory then fine, swap, but it isn't going to have any influence on your university application!

Quick Reply

Latest