The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hai_Ann
I got some guy on here telling me that British isn't an ethnicity. I'm like what?
No it is... my friend is British and she's mixed with something else.
A few of my neighbours are British as well.

Who are you talking to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
British is a nationality and English,Scotish and Welsh are ethnicities in my opinion.
Original post by MrKmas508
British is a nationality and English,Scotish and Welsh are ethnicities in my opinion.

I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
British isn't an ethnicity, it's a nationality.
Reply 5
Original post by Hai_Ann
I got some guy on here telling me that British isn't an ethnicity. I'm like what?

British people are Mongrels Britain is also a melting pot like America British people are mixed with lots of different ethnicities English Scottish French Swiss and Irish I am British but im mixed with lots of different ethnicties.
No, it's a nationality. English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh are ethnicities.
Original post by roman2886
British people are Mongrels Britain is also a melting pot like America British people are mixed with lots of different ethnicities English Scottish French Swiss and Irish I am British but im mixed with lots of different ethnicties.

BS tryna sound exotic..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Oh okay. Thanks. I understand. My English friend has been labelling British as an ethnicity so I've assumed that as well.
Reply 9
I sound stupid now. I forgot for a moment that there was Scottish/Welsh/Irish people too. Lol.
Original post by Hai_Ann

I met a young lady on the way too Preston on the train she said too me she is mixed with 4 different ethnicities English Scottish Swiss and French i am mixed with 13 different ethnicities but i am mostly Irish Scottish Welsh English and Filipino.
Reply 11
Original post by Hai_Ann
Oh okay. Thanks. I understand. My English friend has been labelling British as an ethnicity so I've assumed that as well.

So you've revealed yourself after your other nonsense thread.

Now you realise you were wrong. Next time don't argue with someone without checking your facts first.
Reply 12
Original post by Hai_Ann
Mate, you're the one that was going against me because I was *seemingly* offending foreign guys. Get rid of your PC attitude. I'm not targeting you or everyone foreign. I was making my own opinion. Then I apologise for offending you.

:facepalm:

Ugh, you just can't stop can you?

Me...PC? I'm as un-PC as they come, lady!

I couldn't care less about your opinion or your apology. And as I pointed out to you, I didn't argue with you because of who you were targeting, I argued with you cause your story seemed like bull****. YOU are the one who kept bringing race into every post, just because I challenged your story, LOL.

Maybe in the future, you should actually learn the terms you're using before you use them to attack someone.
Original post by Hai_Ann

yes, its one my birth certificate
Reply 14

I think that those are equally nationalities, they tell you nothing about a person's make-up
Original post by Hai_Ann

False. English is a nationality. Anyone of any colour can be English. English means from England. Welsh means from Wales. Emeli Sande is Scottish. But she is black. Idris Elba is English. He is black. This is simple stuff, folks.

Anglo Saxon is an ethnicity. Apart of the white race. English is a nationality, and so is British. It's just more specific. English doesn't mean white. Nor does British. Saying English is an ethnicity is like saying being from an American state is an ethnicity.
Celtic is an ethnicity. Apart of the white race. Irish is a nationality.

Oromo is an ethnicity. African is a race. Ethiopian is a nationality.
Maroon is an ethnicity. Apart of the African race. Jamaican is a nationality.

Hanguk-in is a Korean ethnicity. Apart of the Asian race. Korean is a nationality.
Reply 16
No it's a nationality.
Reply 17
Original post by Cherie Amour
False. English is a nationality. Anyone of any colour can be English. English means from England. Welsh means from Wales. Emeli Sande is Scottish. But she is black. Idris Elba is English. He is black. This is simple stuff, folks.

Anglo Saxon is an ethnicity. Apart of the white race. English is a nationality, and so is British. It's just more specific. English doesn't mean white. Nor does British. Saying English is an ethnicity is like saying being from an American state is an ethnicity.
Celtic is an ethnicity. Apart of the white race. Irish is a nationality.

Oromo is an ethnicity. African is a race. Ethiopian is a nationality.
Maroon is an ethnicity. Apart of the African race. Jamaican is a nationality.

Hanguk-in is a Korean ethnicity. Apart of the Asian race. Korean is a nationality.

Anglo Saxon is an ethnicity? Aren't they German?

From my knowledge of Korean, doesn't Hanguk-in mean Korean person in Korean? Korean is an ethnicity.
Original post by Hai_Ann
Anglo Saxon is an ethnicity? Aren't they German?

From my knowledge of Korean, doesn't Hanguk-in mean Korean person in Korean? Korean is an ethnicity.

Anglo Saxons are British, the Germanic tribe who settled there. Anglo is England. This is so easy to find on Google, I mean...

Hanguk-in is what it translates to, but it refers to the ethnic group of Korean people, the same way Han does for certain Chinese peoples.

And no Korean is not an ethnicity. I can move to Korea right now, have me a kid, and that child is Korean. But are we Hanguk-In? No. Korea is a place. Making it a nationality. Not ethnicity.
Reply 19
Original post by Cherie Amour
Anglo Saxons are British, the Germanic tribe who settled there. Anglo is England. This is so easy to find on Google, I mean...

Hanguk-in is what it translates to, but it refers to the ethnic group of Korean people, the same way Han does for certain Chinese peoples.

And no Korean is not an ethnicity. I can move to Korea right now, have me a kid, and that child is Korean. But are we Hanguk-In? No. Korea is a place. Making it a nationality. Not ethnicity.

I'm too lazy to read wikipedia's page on it.

Then you and your kid will be Korean nationals... that's what I'm saying. Let me ask my Korean friends if they call themselves Korean by ethnicity then.

Latest