The Student Room Group

Where & What protein supplements to buy?

I'm an 18 year old male, weigh around 70kg am starting to go to the gym 3-4 times a week.

I want to increase my strength & power, but also want to bulk up in terms of muscle gains. Been reading around but a lot of posts are out of date: which protein do you recommend for biggest gains? Links would be appreciated.

Also wheres the best place to get them from high-street stores? Rather not buy them online if possible.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not entirely sure, if this is allowed to be said, as it might look like an advertisement, but before you think about proteins, you better first consider your everyday diet, e.g. do you consume enough carbs/proteins from food itself, as only half of protein daily should come from shakes, as recommended.

For your weight you'll need about 140-170g of protein a day and about 210-250g of carbs. What about protein - for weight gain you rather take weight gainer (if you gain fat easily - take one rich in protein, if not easily - take one rich in carbs) + BCAA.
I personally prefer Universal Nutrition products, but can also recommend Gold Standard products, but decide yourself.
Easy answer: None, because they increase the risk of cancer, as well as brain shrinkage, alzheimers, and all the neurodegenerative/prion type diseases.

Besides, Why everyone wants to turn themselves into golems is beyond me.
Original post by Raiden10
Easy answer: None, because they increase the risk of cancer, as well as brain shrinkage, alzheimers, and all the neurodegenerative/prion type diseases.

Uhm where did you get all the cancer stuff from? 😂😂 No one really knows how Alzheimer's comes from, apart for few facts that the risk of it can be lowered by high Braun activity in older age, so I think you've been hurt badly by stereotypes.
Reply 4
Don't go for protein shakes, it's just overpriced concentrated milk. You might as well just drink loads of regular milk
(edited 8 years ago)
No whey protein will build muscle better than the next as such, you just have to choose a good quality protein to a) get a better amino acid profile, b) to make sure it's actually bioavailable so you actually absorb what you're taking in, and c) to make sure you're actually getting the amount of protein that the label says you're getting (there are ways to "cheat" and increase the amount for testing, but it's also easy to spot when this has happened if the ingredients label contains a load of amino acids, which means a bunch of cheap non-essential aminos have been added to spike the protein content).

All a whey protein is for is to increase your protein intake, it has no better muscle building properties than food such as meat and eggs but some people struggle to fulfill their protein needs from from food alone.

As for where to get it, DON'T get it from the High Street, you'll just be overcharged to a ridiculous degree. Buying online is nothing to be concerned about, you just need to pick a reputable seller. I've been using MyProtein for a while now and am a fan of their products, great value for money and quality stuff. You can either buy straight from their website or from their eBay store. They're a regulated company just like the brands you get in the shops, and they sponsor fitness athletes and models worldwide.

Proof? Whey protein is a dairy protein extract, simple as that. I'm guessing you don't drink milk or eat cheese, then?
Original post by Eux

I want to increase my strength & power, but also want to bulk up in terms of muscle gains. Been reading around but a lot of posts are out of date: which protein do you recommend for biggest gains? Links would be appreciated.

There's only one type of protein, you can't choose one 'for biggest gains'.

These are also called 'supplements' for a reason. They're not going to make you stronger and bigger - they only supplement your diet.

You can easily fit all your protein needs by drinking plenty of milk, eating chicken, tuna, eggs and rice.

I've never used any supplements but made decent gains, probably saved a ton too since all that powder is expensive.
Original post by Eux
If you could PM me any links then? I don't gain fat easily

I'm new here, so I don't really know hot to PM anyone yet, but I'll just tell you the names.
For gainer I'd go for "Real Gains" by Universal Nutrition, BCAA I'd recommend either "Animal Pak", or the one I take "Amino 2700" by Universal.
I myself buy all that at Power Body website,but there are many more to be googled if you want other one.
Reply 8
You don't need supplements, especially if you're new. Just fill your macros with food.
Original post by Eux
So do you have like a post-workout shake without protein powder? If so what do you use?

I don't have a post-workout shake, I just eat food and have a couple cups of milk.

2L of milk is 64g of protein and 900 calories (~1300 if fat milk) from drinking alone. Add to that 4 decent-sized meals and I'm all set for the day.
Original post by zyzzyspirit
I don't have a post-workout shake, I just eat food and have a couple cups of milk.

2L of milk is 64g of protein and 900 calories (~1300 if fat milk) from drinking alone. Add to that 4 decent-sized meals and I'm all set for the day.

How much protein per kilogram should i be eating a day to gain muscle mass if i workout 3 times a week?
Original post by Eux
How much protein per kilogram should i be eating a day to gain muscle mass if i workout 3 times a week?

I'd wager about 2 grams per kilogram.

Then again plenty of people don't calculate their protein intake and still make gains. If your diet is rich in high protein foods you'll be just fine, no need to worry over the exact number.

Crikey.
As long as you're not trying to sell something you're allowed to discuss brands and types guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmfao no

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd wager about 2 grams per kilogram.

Then again plenty of people don't calculate their protein intake and still make gains. If your diet is rich in high protein foods you'll be just fine, no need to worry over the exact number.

Jesus how the hell do you get 2g per kg? What do you break that down into in terms of Breakfast, lunch, dinner, other meals and snacks?
Original post by Eux
Jesus how the hell do you get 2g per kg? What do you break that down into in terms of Breakfast, lunch, dinner, other meals and snacks?

Fairly easy.

A quick google search tells us that chicken (one of the higher protein content foods) has 27g of protein per every 100g.

Just by eating 300g (about one and a half steaks) of chicken you get 81g of protein.

Plus the aforementioned 2L of milk will give you 60+g of protein.

60+80 = 140g (which is your currently required dosage).

We haven't even touched sides like rice, or eggs, and any small snacks you might have in between.

It's easy, just have 4 meals a day and you don't need to fret about getting too little protein.
Fairly easy.

A quick google search tells us that chicken (one of the higher protein content foods) has 27g of protein per every 100g.

Just by eating 300g (about one and a half steaks) of chicken you get 81g of protein.

Plus the aforementioned 2L of milk will give you 60+g of protein.

60+80 = 140g (which is your currently required dosage).

We haven't even touched sides like rice, or eggs, and any small snacks you might have in between.

It's easy, just have 4 meals a day and you don't need to fret about getting too little protein.

Right, should i be trying to hit that every day or just the days i work out?
Original post by Eux

Every day of course.
Original post by Eux

Everyday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest